Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Don't be shy...

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
    I don't see any statement that tells the new user that he/she is not allowed to make comments/opinions about the forum? That just explains the moderation period. My issue above is that you are telling the new poster that his comments/opinions are not appropriate and he is out of line (and attacking you) because he posted on this thread that is open to everyone.
    The info about being be patient is already here, he might have reddit, probably not, given past experience.

Saying that it sucks, that I fail to recruit moderators along with judging my activity by my last post. Acting as if he know everything about what goes on here. I never every said they does not have the ability to post feedback. HECK I APPROVED HIS POST TO BE PLACED HERE. It was within there first 5.

All I said was it's cool if he leaves and that I value longer members feedback more.

As an additional thought, if you will NOT respond to PMs, then exactly HOW should a poster contact you in order to get a response?
    This is the exact reason why someone needs to invent a sarcasm font.
    JohnJohn
    ---------
    Forum Admin

Comment

Originally posted by JohnJohn View Post
      This is the exact reason why someone needs to invent a sarcasm font.
      I literally laughed out loud on that one. At one time or another, I've posted something to that effect, asking for the sarcasm font, on just about every forum I'm on.

Comment

Well, I wasn't being sarcastic - I was asking an honest question. If you won't answer PMs, HOW do we contact you when there is a problem in or with the forum?
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Well, I wasn't being sarcastic - I was asking an honest question. If you won't answer PMs, HOW do we contact you when there is a problem in or with the forum?
          I was being sarcastic when I said I don't read PMs.
          JohnJohn
          ---------
          Forum Admin

Comment

I have been approached plenty of times by users wanting to moderate. However my experience is they wish to moderate, not filter users.
            I would be more than happy to filter users....just show me how you want it done. I have long felt that this forum is losing a lot of potential new members because of the time it takes to get posts approved. I would love to be a part of the solution to that particular problem.
            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
            – E. B. White

Comment

So, inquiring minds want to know: will you accept James' offer to filter users? I think it's safe to say he's interested in the filtering of new users and not the power trip of moderation...
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

So, inquiring minds want to know: will you accept James' offer to filter users? I think it's safe to say he's interested in the filtering of new users and not the power trip of moderation...
                I'm reviewing some of James' previous posts and will get back to him and this thread soon.
                JohnJohn
                ---------
                Forum Admin

Comment

I'm reviewing some of James' previous posts and will get back to him and this thread soon.
                  They seem to be mostly about the camping, drinking, The State of Arizona and the Cardinals. Except for the last two I think it looks good. I'll touch base with him and get back to you all.
                  JohnJohn
                  ---------
                  Forum Admin

Comment

Thanks for the eye opener folks.

http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...eedback-Needed
                    JohnJohn
                    ---------
                    Forum Admin

Comment

Why yes....no power trip here.

Muhuhahahaha....er...I mean....ah....(non-maniacle laugh)
                      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                      – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                        Why yes....no power trip here.

Muhuhahahaha....er...I mean....ah....(non-maniacle laugh)
                        manicle......is that like a marinade or better yet stewing in yer own juices? :he:.
                        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

My post here wasn't a knock on anybody. It was an answer to a question that was posed. I hadn't been back to this site until today, when I received an email that one of my posts had been replied to at a time when I happened to be at my computer. It's been interesting reading the last four pages of posts. Multiple people have agreed with what I said, and apparently John is looking into implementing my suggestion. However, there is an insistence that I shouldn't have made the suggestion in the first place.

<sarcasm>I deeply apologize for taking an interest in attempting to make this site better. I realize now that I'm too new here to make any meaningful contributions. Will I get a PM or email when I've hit the threshold that's required before I am allowed to be helpful?</sarcasm>

As a side note, my original post wasn't about the five post moderation at all, that was an assumption by John. It was an observation based on being a member of dozens of forums, some that are very active and some that have slowed to a crawl. The one constant between those forums is that the more active the staff is the more people get drawn into the forum. It has nothing to do with moderation at all. It has to do with the perception that somebody cares and is "manning the ship" so to speak.

I have been a member of a BBQ forum for over 7 years. That forum always had a policy that they didn't moderate posters at all with the exception of deleting spam and banning the offenders. It was a thriving forum until the site owner and moderator started competing full time in the BBQ circuit and was only active once a month or so. The forum went from having 50-60 posts a day to about 5 posts a day. The moderation didn't change at all. I haven't really noticed any more spam there, it just lasts a bit longer before getting deleted. The only thing that changed was the activity of the moderator. You can argue this all day long, but it doesn't change the fact that every forum I am a member of follows this simple rule: The more active the moderator staff is the more active the forum members are.
                          Nights outside so far 2016: 19

Comment

Agreed. Participation is needed to keep the forum going. I just joined. Camping season is nearly over (at least in Ohio). It's good to get some interesting tidbits on occasion. I might try to liven things up in the future with some humor.

Comment

Working...
                            X