Don't be shy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't be shy...

Seems like the response ratio is a little low, some posts have been viewed 285 times and no comments. Are people afraid to respond on this site or what. With a poor response rate postings will eventually drop off also, maybe they are already. I enjoy the information on this site but more involvement is needed to keep it fresh. Being on a site and seeing new posts everyday is great, makes you feel more involved. So thats it, lets start responding people, expertise not required

Re: Don't be shy...

You probably are getting no responses because your new and your first few posts need to be moderated. In other words no one can see them.

This will explain further: http://www.campingforums.com/forum/a...ement.php?f=32

Enjoy
    JohnJohn
    ---------
    Forum Admin

Comment

There also seem to be many folks that are afraid to join (don't know if visitors count in the views but I suspect so).

Persevere and it will all work out...

Enjoy!
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

many folks search forms for helpful data and leave, 5-10% join and participate.
        JohnJohn
        ---------
        Forum Admin

Comment

The system counts bots and search engines as "views". So, just because a post says 285 views, it doesn't mean it's really been read that many times.

In addition, many folks who do view the post have been brought here by a search engine and are just looking for a quick answer not a "community". They don't want discussions and back-and-forth, they just want a quick answer.
          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I suspect some of them are individuals that want to join but get frustrated when their initial posts are held in limbo...Im not sure how many posts I have made but its over 6 and I am still wondering when I will actually see them posted. JMHO

Comment

Some posts have been viewed 285 times and no comments,this is because people are not interested in it or don't know how to response ,not all of us know everything .
              Take a walk with mother nature, you will be fine then. :go:

Comment

I tried to register a couple years ago and was not accepted because of the email address I had. I was not willing to start another email account just to be included here. So I would read others posts and move on. To be honest I felt unwanted. I am sure that many people do not want to jump through the hoops just to be able to post. That is too bad . As time moved on my email was accepted and now I can post. But then comes the moderating and the frustrating waiting time to be approved. I like the site. It could be so much more if the process was easier. Maybe that will come with time, I don't know. I am on several other forums and this is the only one that works this way.

Comment

Simplifying the registration would keep some folks here and get them participating. But, as the webmaster of two forums, I can say that the majority of folks are just looking for an answer to their question, a validation of their personal opinion/gripe, or a chance to promote their blog - they aren't going to actively participate in the forum no matter what you change about it. Their only interaction is facebook.
                  “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I disagree. I'm a member of multiple online forums. Some of them see thousands of posts a day, others a couple a month. The one constant is that the more active the moderator staff is the more active the community is. The site owner here hasn't posted in almost a month, and that was just to post an excuse for why he's not active. His last post with any content at all was 4 months ago. Despite his inactivity, he has failed to recruit any moderators at all. He is the only moderator listed on any of the forums and the only other moderator I can find, renodesertfox, was last active 3 years ago. If this site is going to see any meaningful uptick in activity he's going to have to trust somebody that's actually active to moderate for him.

It sucks because there seem to be several members here who are relatively active and seem to want to be helpful.
                    Nights outside so far 2016: 19

Comment

Originally posted by Cory Hess View Post
                      I disagree. I'm a member of multiple online forums. Some of them see thousands of posts a day, others a couple a month. The one constant is that the more active the moderator staff is the more active the community is. The site owner here hasn't posted in almost a month, and that was just to post an excuse for why he's not active. His last post with any content at all was 4 months ago. Despite his inactivity, he has failed to recruit any moderators at all. He is the only moderator listed on any of the forums and the only other moderator I can find, renodesertfox, was last active 3 years ago. If this site is going to see any meaningful uptick in activity he's going to have to trust somebody that's actually active to moderate for him.

It sucks because there seem to be several members here who are relatively active and seem to want to be helpful.
                      Cory, not every post is moderated, just your first few, so discussing other forums that get thousands of posts per day is somewhat irrelevant to moderation.

My activity here should be judged by my post activity, I get to moderating new posters about every other day, when I'm not off the grid.

I'm not interested in "meaningful upticks" given the time I can dedicate. Please be patient, I know the internet has taught us all different. If you decide to continue your disappointment in the site and leave, it's cool. I've had a version of this place since 2003 so it will most likely go on.

I left to go camping on the 18th, just before your VERY FIRST post on that day....no see the link below I really went camping.

http://www.traildriven.com/2016/05/c...th-the-tw200s/
                      JohnJohn
                      ---------
                      Forum Admin

Comment

Originally posted by Cory Hess View Post

Actually, you have that backwards - the more active the website, the more moderation is required. Forums with less activity normally require less moderation. This forum is different due to the way JohnJohn chooses to handle spammers.

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                          Actually, you have that backwards - the more active the website, the more moderation is required. Forums with less activity normally require less moderation. This forum is different due to the way JohnJohn chooses to handle spammers.

So true. Thanks for making the distinction. What I do is filter users, or do my best to. Once a user is here, there is no moderation unless a user complains about a particular post.
                          JohnJohn
                          ---------
                          Forum Admin

Comment

Originally posted by JohnJohn View Post
                            Cory, not every post is moderated, just your first few, so discussing other forums that get thousands of posts per day is somewhat irrelevant to moderation.

My activity here should be judged by my post activity, I get to moderating new posters about every other day, when I'm not off the grid.

I'm not interested in "meaningful upticks" given the time I can dedicate. Please be patient, I know the internet has taught us all different. If you decide to continue your disappoint in the site and leave, it's cool. I've had a version of this place since 2003 so it will most likely go on.

I left to go camping on the 18th, just before your VERY FIRST post on that day....no see the link below I really went camping.
                            our
                            http://www.traildriven.com/2016/05/c...th-the-tw200s/
                            No offense JohnJohn, but that's a rather snotty attitude towards your customers ("If you don't like it, go ahead and leave, I don't care"). No one questions your going off the grid, but letting a new person's posts hang for 5 days doesn't really make this forum attractive. The suggestion to enlist another to help with the moderation is a good one and doesn't deserve a snarky response from the man who profits from our posting.

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                              No offense JohnJohn, but that's a rather snotty attitude towards your customers ("If you don't like it, go ahead and leave, I don't care"). No one questions your going off the grid, but letting a new person's posts hang for 5 days doesn't really make this forum attractive. The suggestion to enlist another to help with the moderation is a good one and doesn't deserve a snarky response from the man who profits from our posting.
                              In response to you directly, I make ZERO profit from this site or your posts. Google AdSense pays hosting fees, that's it.

I have been approached plenty of times by users wanting to moderate. However my experience is they wish to moderate, not filter users. It ends up taking more time to clean up the mess created by a moderator with "forum power". 13 year in and it's not worth cleaning up previous Moderator messes.

The poster is jabbing at me and making assumptions for no apparent reason other than their inconvenience. On a forum that's basic topic is to camp, get outside and get out from in front of your computer. The info they were seeking is out on the internet, somewhere. There was no Camping Emergency, no-ones life was in danger. I was basically telling them if they don't like it and wish to bitch instead of asking questions to try and understand then too bad, which is really the honest truth. They got what they put in.

Would I have responded the same way to someone with 552 posts as yourself? No. You, I'm sure at one time were inconvenienced and <insert sarcasm> managed to deal with the HUGE disappoint that goes along with waiting for your first few posts to be moderated. I'm really not sure how 35,000 users deal with that. <end sarcasm>

After all it's created a cool area where virtually everyone here is for one reason, not to sell something, validate of their personal opinion/gripe, or a promoting their blog.
                              JohnJohn
                              ---------
                              Forum Admin

Comment

Working...
                              X