Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Don't be shy...

Originally posted by JohnJohn View Post
    So true. Thanks for making the distinction. What I do is filter users, or do my best to. Once a user is here, there is no moderation unless a user complains about a particular post.
    I have issues with this response but but errrrrrr you already know this assuming you read all your emails:ange:.

Oh and I get you have another life as do most if not all of us. Knowing when you are not going to be around would be helpful although the flip side is that the imp(s) that has/have nothing to do be play would know it as well.

Choices and more choices.

I really would prefer a more active form of moderation on this site. Both reno and hogsnapper were always available within 48 hrs to deal with problems and I'm sure active poster count was up during their times.

There are many things I could say but am leaving this missive as is for you to read between the lines.

Hope you had a glorious time camping!
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Personally, I've never understood complaining about anything that's free. I've been on several dozen forums over the years and just about every one has/had their own quirks - things that I wish were different. But, in the end, the choice is up to the individual: Take it as it is or move on. No one forces anyone to stick around where they feel inconvenienced or offended or whatever...

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
        Personally, I've never understood complaining about anything that's free. I've been on several dozen forums over the years and just about every one has/had their own quirks - things that I wish were different. But, in the end, the choice is up to the individual: Take it as it is or move on. No one forces anyone to stick around where they feel inconvenienced or offended or whatever...
        I do understand your POV and it pretty much follows my own with the following exception: this forum's policies and rules changed with belated or no notification to users. That left many of us milling around the "room" in severe head scratching mode.
        Still is what it is.
        2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

:great:
          JohnJohn
          ---------
          Forum Admin

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
            I do understand your POV and it pretty much follows my own with the following exception: this forum's policies and rules changed with belated or no notification to users. That left many of us milling around the "room" in severe head scratching mode.
            Still is what it is.
            What has changed? Slow "service" to new posters has always been the issue. Everything else regarding "forum policies and rule changes" were directly related to the previous moderators I had in place. Great group of guys, don't get me wrong. More time was taken to manage the issues and problems they had with people, or the issues people had with them.
            JohnJohn
            ---------
            Forum Admin

Comment

What has changed? Slow "service" to new posters has always been the issue. Everything else regarding "forum policies and rule changes" were directly related to the previous moderators I had in place. Great group of guys, don't get me wrong. More time was taken to manage the issues and problems they had with people, or the issues people had with them.
              OK since we aren't being shy and none of my emails or PMs to you have been responded to........then I suppose the ability to respond to correspondence in a timely manner has changed:ouch:.
              Need reminders or didn't receive the info I refer to? I can send it again or just c+ p it here.
              2017:

Comment

OK since we aren't being shy and none of my emails or PMs to you have been responded to........then I suppose the ability to respond to correspondence in a timely manner has changed:ouch:.
                Need reminders or didn't receive the info I refer to? I can send it again or just c+ p it here.
                never received email or PM messages from you...seriously PS: that would not be a change BTW...I never respond to PMs :P
                JohnJohn
                ---------
                Forum Admin

Comment

I agree to a point. As a webmaster, I WANT feedback from the users. If there is something about my forum that is off-putting to most members (and/or potential members), then I want to know that. What good is a forum if it stagnates because of my unwillingness to explore new solutions to issues that are keeping new folks away.

Would I have responded the same way to someone with 552 posts as yourself? No. You, I'm sure at one time were inconvenienced and <insert sarcasm> managed to deal with the HUGE disappoint that goes along with waiting for your first few posts to be moderated. I'm really not sure how 35,000 users deal with that. <end sarcasm>
                  First, I would say that I am NOT the average forum poster and that my willingness to wade through the quagmire is not common. Second, since I joined, how many people have registered and how many of those have stuck around past the initial moderation period? How many would have stuck around had the forum been improved as per suggestions by current users?

I have been approached plenty of times by users wanting to moderate. However my experience is they wish to moderate, not filter users. It ends up taking more time to clean up the mess created by a moderator with "forum power". 13 year in and it's not worth cleaning up previous Moderator messes.
                  Seems to me, that is more of an issue with semantics than a problem with "moderators". If you recruited folks to "filter new users" rather than "to moderate", I'm betting those issues would disappear.

So true. Thanks for making the distinction. What I do is filter users, or do my best to. Once a user is here, there is no moderation unless a user complains about a particular post.
                  Actually, I'd argue that you don't even do the latter...
                  “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

All great points. Could this place be better, for sure. Are we missing some people, sure. I'm all for feedback, from people that earn the right to bitch. Like ^^^ post above.

However, coming in all guns a blazing was not the mature way to handle having to wait 5 days to get your first post up. We've all had this discussion a 100 times. Some of the issue lies in the software. Moderator status allows for way more than approving the first 5 posts. Members are graduated into a second status after 5 posts have been approved. Moderators are allowed to moderator those 5 posts, AND all other posts. Which is where my babysitting comes into play.

To be real honest it's a camping forum, and not EVERYONE here is very computer savvy. Some user just picked his email address as his user name...and will probably PM me accusing me of posting his email address to thousands of people. This is the kind of stuff that happens. :D
                    JohnJohn
                    ---------
                    Forum Admin

Comment

never received email or PM messages from you...seriously PS: that would not be a change BTW...I never respond to PMs :P
                      Will definitely pull up and resend soonest. Your take on pms reminds me of mine on answering the landline when unknown phone numbers come up....leave a message or get lost.
                      2017:

Comment

All great points. Could this place be better, for sure. Are we missing some people, sure. I'm all for feedback, from people that earn the right to bitch. Like ^^^ post above.

However, coming in all guns a blazing was not the mature way to handle having to wait 5 days to get your first post up. We've all had this discussion a 100 times. Some of the issue lies in the software. Moderator status allows for way more than approving the first 5 posts. Members are graduated into a second status after 5 posts have been approved. Moderators are allowed to moderator those 5 posts, AND all other posts. Which is where my babysitting comes into play.

To be real honest it's a camping forum, and not EVERYONE here is very computer savvy. Some user just picked his email address as his user name...and will probably PM me accusing me of posting his email address to thousands of people. This is the kind of stuff that happens. :D
                        I find that unfair to the new poster. No where on this website does it say "unless you've been posting for X months or have made X number of posts, you are not allowed to have an opinion about the performance/operation/running of this site". He registered, got frustrated with the system, saw a thread that talked about the issue that caused him frustration, and posted his opinion. If you don't value it, fine - ignore it. But to say he's attacking you because he doesn't something about the forum is extreme. And even a new poster may have something of value to share - to disregard him completely just because he's new is cutting your nose off to spite your face.

As for the poster using his email, in my experience he most likely couldn't care less that his email is out there. People see nothing wrong with posting their email out on the web for anyone to find (or their phone numbers or their names, etc.). I won't worry about it until he PMs me (if he ever does). But, I've learned not to take comments to the webmaster personal, so I don't get as frustrated about stuff like that. I just fix the problem when/if it arises and go about my day.
                        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Will definitely pull up and resend soonest. Your take on pms reminds me of mine on answering the landline when unknown phone numbers come up....leave a message or get lost.

it's like answering the front door

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Swzvm-gXHg
                          JohnJohn
                          ---------
                          Forum Admin

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                            I find that unfair to the new poster. No where on this website does it say "unless you've been posting for X months or have made X number of posts, you are not allowed to have an opinion about the performance/operation/running of this site". He registered, got frustrated with the system, saw a thread that talked about the issue that caused him frustration, and posted his opinion. If you don't value it, fine - ignore it. But to say he's attacking you because he doesn't something about the forum is extreme. And even a new poster may have something of value to share - to disregard him completely just because he's new is cutting your nose off to spite your face.
                            http://www.campingforums.com/forum/a...ement.php?f=23

It's posted on the top of every forum and linked inside the Welcome email all new members get.
                            JohnJohn
                            ---------
                            Forum Admin

Comment

Cory, not every post is moderated, just your first few, so discussing other forums that get thousands of posts per day is somewhat irrelevant to moderation.

My activity here should be judged by my post activity, I get to moderating new posters about every other day, when I'm not off the grid.

I'm not interested in "meaningful upticks" given the time I can dedicate. Please be patient, I know the internet has taught us all different. If you decide to continue your disappointment in the site and leave, it's cool. I've had a version of this place since 2003 so it will most likely go on.

I left to go camping on the 18th, just before your VERY FIRST post on that day....no see the link below I really went camping.

http://www.traildriven.com/2016/05/c...th-the-tw200s/

I don't think my response was really all that harsh, considering almost everything he is upset about could be found in his Welcome email and/or in the

"Announcement: *** New to CampingForums? *** PLEASE READ THIS!" posted above EVERY SINGLE forum.
                              JohnJohn
                              ---------
                              Forum Admin

Comment

http://www.campingforums.com/forum/a...ement.php?f=23

It's posted on the top of every forum and linked inside the Welcome email all new members get.
                                I don't see any statement that tells the new user that he/she is not allowed to make comments/opinions about the forum? That just explains the moderation period. My issue above is that you are telling the new poster that his comments/opinions are not appropriate and he is out of line (and attacking you) because he posted on this thread that is open to everyone.

As an additional thought, if you will NOT respond to PMs, then exactly HOW should a poster contact you in order to get a response?

Comment

Working...
                                X