Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tent peg alternative

Originally posted by James. View Post
    Silly questions but do you tie down the guy lines to your canopy?
    i tie the 2 guy ropes for the awning down with Spax as well. I just tie a taught line hitch at the top, instead of the bottom.
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but here's a plastic version of the screw peg:

http://www.orangescrew.com/

Comment

Yes! ...although many folks trip on them.

Enjoy!
        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
        Ground tents work best for me, so far.
        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

So glad I was able to find this post! Just bought the lag bolts but was concerned about the washers being thick enough. Thankfully I went to the bolt depot site and ordered the extra thick washers. I'm feeling relieved since my tent always goes through summer storms with high winds. I'm wondering about wearing of the webbed tied downs using the screws though. Any thoughts on that?

Comment

Originally posted by BluegrassLady View Post
            So glad I was able to find this post! Just bought the lag bolts but was concerned about the washers being thick enough. Thankfully I went to the bolt depot site and ordered the extra thick washers. I'm feeling relieved since my tent always goes through summer storms with high winds. I'm wondering about wearing of the webbed tied downs using the screws though. Any thoughts on that?

I wonder if using a cheap, light duty carabiner or snap clip on the screw then clipping the tent loop to it would keep the loops from being worn excessively?

Comment

I'm wondering about wearing of the webbed tied downs using the screws though. Any thoughts on that?
              I worried about that as well. I lift the webbed loop above the threads as I'm screwing them down.

Originally posted by Malamute View Post
              I wonder if using a cheap, light duty carabiner or snap clip on the screw then clipping the tent loop to it would keep the loops from being worn excessively?
              I tried that with these. It made the loops slightly too long and the tent didn't sit quite right. That might work with an otherwise freestanding tent, but it didn't go well for the Kodiak which requires a tight setup.

Edit: Now you've got me wondering if maybe something shorter might work. Like these:
              Last edited by MacGyver; 05-12-2018, 09:50 AM.

Comment

The lags screws I use are not threaded the entire length of the screw. It is only threaded about 2/3's so there is a smooth portion where the webbing sits so it is not sharp. I believe the webbing will wear the same as if I were using the supplied steel stakes I received with my Kodiak canvas tent. Just hold the webbing away from the screwed area when driving it into the ground and you should be good..

Comment

Thanks for the tips. Lifting the loops sounds like a good idea. My extra thick washers came in this week so I'll be trying it out this weekend and with the help of this forum I'm sure it will be fine!

Comment

Lifting the loops sounds like a good idea.
                    I can't think of a way to explain it in print, but when you go to do it, this might suddenly make sense. Before I screw one in, I pull the loop out with my finger and note where the peg will go. Otherwise, when you lift the loop to get past the threads, you might not get a taut pitch.

... I'm sure it will be fine!
                    Yeah, it will!
                    Last edited by MacGyver; 05-17-2018, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                      I can't think of a way to explain it in print, but when you go to do it, this might suddenly make sense. Before I screw one in, I pull the loop out with my finger and note where the peg will go. Otherwise, when you lift the loop to get past the threads, you might not get a taut pitch.

Yeah, it will!
                      Made total sense.
                      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                      – E. B. White

Comment

Checking out old threads here...
                        In my never ending quest to streamline the setup, I made these bungee/paracord doohickies (Yes, the technical term) and what I call a rope lock for 3/8ths rope.

After I put up a ridge line between two trees with the rope and throw the tarp over it, I pull out the corners and secure each one with the loop of bungee cord around the pin at the top, the Spax bolts go through the end link of chain. You can see the details better in the picture below. I put the chain there to act as a pulley so it slides easier when adjusting the tension and won't wear down the paracord over time.

In the unlikely event that I don't have trees less than 50 feet across, I also have end posts that I brace up with a pair of single cords

Comment

Working...
                        X