Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tent peg alternative

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
    You know, I was creeping around the spring bar website today. And they recommend a 9" nail spike for rocky terrain. Couldn't find a diameter though.

The ones that I have, with plastic tops (nicer than the rusty landscaping spikes) are about 9 5/8" long x 0.305" (dia).

I just use nails to keep tarps flat on the ground they often do not hold well, especially in loose sugar sand.
    I would be leery in rocky terrain as you could conceivably nail it in and not be able to get it out, a buried root could also keep and hold it, actually have seen this (when in doubt use a tie/550 cord between the peg and the tent).

...or; the MacGyver screw peg...

My go to retired military pegs are similar to these;
    http://www.amazon.com/G-I-Issue-Alum.../dp/B0026RQA04

Enjoy!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 01-04-2016, 08:18 AM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
      I would be leery in rocky terrain as you could conceivably nail it in and not be able to get it out, a buried root could also keep and hold it, actually have seen this (when in doubt use a tie/550 cord between the peg and the tent).
      I guess by the time you're carrying landscape spikes for tent pegs it's safe to assume you're not backpacking. So... a pair of full size vise grips fixes the problem of nails in roots. I've dealt with that bit 'o fun. Clamped tight at ground level, something rigid to act as a fulcrum and stand on the end of the vise grips. Might need to twist it a bit first, but it'll move.

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
      ...or; the MacGyver screw peg...
      Yeah! LOL

Comment

joe,
        I don't know what your guys mountain soil is like down south, but up north ours is fairly rocky. I don't know if I would trust the ones you posted for a big canvas tent. I like more depth.
        Nights camped in 2019: 24
        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Carpenter's half hatchet has a notch on the underside of the blade where you just lever the spike right out of the decomposed granite. Here out west it's 50/50 you'll be banging 'em in and pulling 'em out of DG soil.
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

joe,
            I don't know what your guys mountain soil is like down south, but up north ours is fairly rocky. I don't know if I would trust the ones you posted for a big canvas tent. I like more depth.
            They work fine for most uses (9x9 dome, 12x12 alaknak, 10x10 canopies). I have seen extra long versions, too If doing a tent like a GP medium we used to se a foot or more of rebar (the epoxy? coated type didn't rust as bad).

(Edit) Eventually I did figure out that if I use a light hammer to drive pegs, I cold feel when they hit a root/rock and move the peg over to assure that I could get it back out.

I guess by the time you're carrying landscape spikes for tent pegs it's safe to assume you're not backpacking.
            Ususally; but I did have some aluminum ones that I used for years (left over from putting vinyl skirting on a mobile home)...

Enjoy!
            Last edited by Happy Joe; 01-05-2016, 09:20 AM.
            2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
            For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
            Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

joe,
              They work fine for most uses, as long as there isn't too much wind (9x9 dome, 12x12 alaknak, 10x10 canopies). I have seen extra long versions, too If doing a tent like a GP medium we used to se a foot or more of rebar (the epoxy? coated type didn't rust as bad).

I guess by the time you're carrying landscape spikes for tent pegs it's safe to assume you're not backpacking.

Ususally; but I did have some aluminum ones that I used for years (left over from putting vinyl skirting on a mobile home)...

Enjoy!
              Last edited by Happy Joe; 08-29-2016, 09:26 AM.

Comment

It is interesting to note that military issue tent stakes for WWII and the Korean War were chubby round wooden tent stakes. They could have issued metal stakes, but they chose wood for some reason. Maybe they hold better. Of course, wood is lighter and it might be cheaper, but I think there is more to it than that. I find that wood stakes are harder to pull out of the ground than metal.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                  I mentioned this in another thread, but I think it bears repeating. Some of the posts on here lately seem to mirror my thinking that the worst part of setting up a tent is having to stake them down. I know that's especially true for the Kodiaks. Staying bent over to pound down over a dozen large stakes can definitely take it's toll on older or otherwise damaged knees and backs. After one particular trip where the ground was mostly compacted clay and rocks, I was determined to find a better way...

Couple things came to mind. First, with my messed up knees, I keep a spare set of my carpentry knee pads in my vehicle for changing tires and camping. Driving tent pegs, making fires, whatever, I just go to my knees without pain or cold being an issue. I use some black ones of medium density and two black Velcro straps that cost about $8 at Home Depot. Pro tip: cross the straps when putting them on rather than straight across to the opposing Velcro. Also pull one set of straps and have them both on the same side, and it never matters which side they go on, you know where the straps are going to be.

You know, I was creeping around the spring bar website today. And they recommend a 9" nail spike for rocky terrain. Couldn't find a diameter though.

I made some spikes from 12"spikes from the lumberyard. I think they were 3/8" diameter. I had a heavy washer welded to the top. Drive them with either an Estwing framing hammer or two pound sledge of nasty hard soil. I've driven them through hard packed roadpack gravel with zero problem.

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                  Carpenter's half hatchet has a notch on the underside of the blade where you just lever the spike right out of the decomposed granite. Here out west it's 50/50 you'll be banging 'em in and pulling 'em out of DG soil.

The longer Estwing framing hammer has been a great camp tool. It drives and pulls stakes well, and digs well when needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                    It is interesting to note that military issue tent stakes for WWII and the Korean War were chubby round wooden tent stakes. They could have issued metal stakes, but they chose wood for some reason. Maybe they hold better. Of course, wood is lighter and it might be cheaper, but I think there is more to it than that. I find that wood stakes are harder to pull out of the ground than metal.

Both Mike and Macgyver got me thinking ( yes I know dangerous). Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post

They wanted to give their soldiers an advantage over enemy vampires?
                      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post

That was a secret that's been buried in time. Calling them tent stakes,...only they needed to have stakes on hand for the vampire enemy soldiers.

Comment

It may be because iron and steel were being used for manufacturing the implements of war and trees weren't as good for that.

Comment

^^ That's way too serious and sensible of an answer.

Vampires.

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                              Once again I missed the obvious, forums can be very helpful. Thanks

Comment

I may be missing something but if you use a drill to set the stakes why can't you use the drill to remove the stakes?

Comment

Working...
                                X