Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tent peg alternative

Originally posted by JoeN View Post
    I may be missing something but if you use a drill to set the stakes why can't you use the drill to remove the stakes?
    Not sure how I found my way back to this thread, but I believe they were talking about driving traditional stakes with a hammer, not the screws I use. The screws definitely come out easy - another reason I love 'em. I even went out and bought smaller screws to use with my small tents. No more pounding and pulling!

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
      Not sure how I found my way back to this thread, but I believe they were talking about driving traditional stakes with a hammer, not the screws I use. The screws definitely come out easy - another reason I love 'em. I even went out and bought smaller screws to use with my small tents. No more pounding and pulling!
      ....now to get the man to understand how to operate a drill...
      He's very proud of this particular inability
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Just to revive an old thread ;
        I was in Harbor freight the other day and found some pet stakes, for $4 ea.
        http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...lt?q=pet+stake
        Click image for larger version

Name:	pet stake image_12999.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	70617
        Since I have been more than a little concerned about the canopy blowing over (it regularly pulls up the landscaping nails and the GI aluminum stakes when subjected to moderate wind).
        I picked up four then stopped at the farm store on the way home and got some fender washers to fit (all of $0.36 for 4).

... not certain how these will work but I'm gonna try 'em.

Enjoy!
        Last edited by Happy Joe; 08-29-2016, 09:11 AM.
        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
        Ground tents work best for me, so far.
        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
          Just to revive an old thread ;
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]5721[/ATTACH]
          Since I have been more than a little concerned about the canopy blowing over (it regularly pulls up the landscaping nails and the GI aluminum stakes when subjected to moderate wind).
          I picked up four then stopped at the farm store on the way home and got some fender washers to fit (all of $0.36 for 4).

... not certain how these will work but I'm gonna try 'em.

Enjoy!
          I just use these:

Drive them in at an angle and I have never had a problem. $1 each
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5721[/ATTACH]
            If the ground where you camp is anything like it is in Western Maryland, I don't think you'll be too happy with those pet stakes. I tried 'em years ago when I was still figuring out how to secure extra large tarps. But MAN were they a pain to get into the ground. Not so bad getting 'em out, just really hard to screw in. Then again, if you have soft enough soil that they do go in easily, you'll be golden. If they can hold a 100 lb dog on the end of his rope and snapping at everything that moves, you'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
              I just use these:

Drive them in at an angle and I have never had a problem. $1 each
              Yep! those are what tend to pullout (even when driven at an angle (not terrible in sites with lots of trees but they do pull up with mountain winds (even with trees all around (unless you find a thick root; then they can be a bear to pull out))... my collection of nails and nail stakes is primarily for holding ground tarps in place now...
              Winds can be a real issue around here I have had fully loaded (with gear) dome tents pull their stakes and try to roll into a river (stopped, fortunately, by bushes)...
              ...seen canopies lift completely off the ground and reposition them selves; sometimes on their legs sometimes on their tops....

If the ground where you camp is anything like it is in Western Maryland, I don't think you'll be too happy with those pet stakes. I tried 'em years ago when I was still figuring out how to secure extra large tarps. But MAN were they a pain to get into the ground. Not so bad getting 'em out, just really hard to screw in. Then again, if you have soft enough soil that they do go in easily, you'll be golden. If they can hold a 100 lb dog on the end of his rope and snapping at everything that moves, you'll be fine.
              Yep! that's what I figure...
              I am trying hard not to bring power tools, if these do not work in decayed granite (a lot like very coarse sand (~ 1/8" - 1/4" grains), some times like, consolidated/highly compacted sharp cornered pea gravel) I'll be down to using your helical screw stakes and probably bring the battery powered impact to drive/remove them.

...Life is a learning experience...

Enjoy!
              2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
              For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
              Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I am trying hard not to bring power tools...
                Certainly not as easy as a power drill, but you could use one of those ratchet screwdrivers with the large ball handle and a 1/4 inch socket adapter for the screws. That's my backup for if and when my drill decides to bite the dust. It does work - they have enough torque to drive 'em - it's just slow and a bit labor intensive.

Edit: As it turns out, I have the set in the above picture but they're no longer made. Got more than a few people online looking for 'em. So I went on a bit of a hunt and found these:

https://www.amazon.com/Skil-Ratcheti...dp/B00VALVLR4/
                Last edited by MacGyver; 08-30-2016, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Yep! those are what tend to pullout (even when driven at an angle (not terrible in sites with lots of trees but they do pull up with mountain winds (even with trees all around (unless you find a thick root; then they can be a bear to pull out))... my collection of nails and nail stakes is primarily for holding ground tarps in place now...
                  Winds can be a real issue around here I have had fully loaded (with gear) dome tents pull their stakes and try to roll into a river (stopped, fortunately, by bushes)...
                  ...seen canopies lift completely off the ground and reposition them selves; sometimes on their legs sometimes on their tops...!
                  Wow, that is surprising. I have used those while tailgating on the Arizona Cardinals Great Lawn (which is basically a grass field) and once I staked them down I was worry free.
                  “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                  – E. B. White

Comment

Certainly not as easy as a power drill, but you could use one of those ratchet screwdrivers with the large ball handle and a 1/4 inch socket adapter for the screws. That's my backup for if and when my drill decides to bite the dust. It does work - they have enough torque to drive 'em - it's just slow and a bit labor intensive.

Since I almost always bring minimal mechanic tools I would probably opt for a 3/8" drive ratchet (the speed handle is too long to fit the tool bag)...I wonder if lag screws come with metric heads...

Speaking of which its time to start accumulating piles of "stuff" (reminds me of a George Carlin routine) for this week end.
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac

(Edit:
                    Originally posted by James. View Post
                    Wow, that is surprising. I have used those while tailgating on the Arizona Cardinals Great Lawn (which is basically a grass field) and once I staked them down I was worry free.
                    Yeah, don't get me wrong probably 80%. or more, of the time the canopy does not even need to be staked. Its the last 15 to 20 percent of the time when the hail comes down and the wind picks up that I am trying to prepare for.

Enjoy!
                    Last edited by Happy Joe; 08-30-2016, 09:01 AM. Reason: reply to James

Comment

Tried the pet stakes ... too long.
                      2 of the 4 screwed in with little issue (need a pipe or similar lever once they get half way or farther in) but the other 2 had too many big rocks in the way to use.
                      Fell back on the H/F nail stakes (had to move one 3 times to find space between the underground rocks); always bring a backup for new product trials...

Now if I can just remember to check out the lag screws at the home center... (before spring).

Enjoy!

Comment

Just make sure you get the lag screws that have a smooth portion on top so you don't damage your tent with the screw part. I also added some fender washers to each screw to catch the loops on the tent better. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick View Post
                          Just make sure you get the lag screws that have a smooth portion on top so you don't damage your tent with the screw part. I also added some fender washers to each screw to catch the loops on the tent better. Good luck.
                          Lag screws! Thanks for allowing me to stop calling them perambulator screws or bolts. Oops in a this IS the 21st century kind of way.
                          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

The Sparx are great. Easy to go in, secure and easy to come out. And a impact driver takes up little room when car camping.
                            Nights camped in 2019: 24
                            Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I think it's a shame the Spax corporation didn't want to branch out and make more money. I sent them an email telling them what a great tent peg they could have if they'd alter the threads a bit, make them with extra wide heads and market them directly to camping people. Their reply was that they're happy I found a use for their product, but that they were dedicated to the construction industry. To their credit though, they did send me a nice long sleeve T-shirt and a good size assortment of their smaller bolts and screws to check out. Unfortunately, I'll probably never wear the shirt. I can picture my friends telling me that they misspelled Spaz - and I hate giving someone an opening for a an easy cheap shot. :p

Comment

Tried the pet stakes ... too long.
                                2 of the 4 screwed in with little issue (need a pipe or similar lever once they get half way or farther in) but the other 2 had too many big rocks in the way to use.
                                Fell back on the H/F nail stakes (had to move one 3 times to find space between the underground rocks); always bring a backup for new product trials...

Now if I can just remember to check out the lag screws at the home center... (before spring).

Enjoy!

Silly questions but do you tie down the guy lines to your canopy?
                                – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                                X