Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: It's been a long winter...........

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
    Yeah - it's been crazy the way this Winter doesn't seem to want to let go. We've now had two episodes of 60°+ weather followed by some decent accumulations of snow. Just about everybody I know is complaining about it but I love it! As much as I'm looking forward to Spring, I know that Summer follows it - and around here, that means days of stifling heat and humidity. Come July and August, fishing is more or less done as soon as the sun breaks over the trees, and camping is out of the question unless you like sitting in the baking sun, with dust and bugs everywhere. I'll take 2 feet of snow over 105° and 100% humidity any day!
    We only received about 7" of snow.

I agree. I would choose 35 or 45 degrees over 95 and humid any day.

MN experiences every season in its extreme. My goal is to get out camping early this spring and early summer and then late summer and fall. Mid summer it's usually hot and humid and depending where you are the horse flies, deer flies, black flies, biting gnats and Mosquitos are nasty.

Comment

I have never understood why people in Maryland go to Assateague Island in the summer. It's got our only oceanfront campground and the mosquitos are legendary. Supposedly, when you swat one, it gets pissed off and goes for it's knife. I'll never know if it's true, 'cuz the only place I knowingly go to give blood is the Red Cross.

Comment

Quick plug for Cabelas.

Last September I purchased some gear from Cabelas. Some of the gear was Cabelas brand and some of it was not. The gear in question cost nearly $700.00 and I have the original receipt. Anyways, with the recent purchase of my Alaknak tent and accessories I have no need for the gear I purchased in September (this gear was slightly used). I just spoke to Cabelas and they will accept my return for full price no questions asked.

I don't have much to compare this to with other retailers but I did not expect them to honor my request and I thought this deserved a shout out.

Comment

Originally posted by gmann View Post
          Quick plug for Cabelas.

Last September I purchased some gear from Cabelas. Some of the gear was Cabelas brand and some of it was not. The gear in question cost nearly $700.00 and I have the original receipt. Anyways, with the recent purchase of my Alaknak tent and accessories I have no need for the gear I purchased in September (this gear was slightly used). I just spoke to Cabelas and they will accept my return for full price no questions asked.

I don't have much to compare this to with other retailers but I did not expect them to honor my request and I thought this deserved a shout out.
          O Cabela's has a quite generous return policy. I drive pretty far (about 130 miles) to the closest store to me and have picked up some great purchases along the way. Wuvvvvvvv my camp kitchen and the fact that they always have a reasonable price on Extreme coolers.
          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
            O Cabela's has a quite generous return policy. I drive pretty far (about 130 miles) to the closest store to me and have picked up some great purchases along the way. Wuvvvvvvv my camp kitchen and the fact that they always have a reasonable price on Extreme coolers.
            I have a two hour drive one way to the store as well.

Now I need to figure out what to purchase with that money. If I was NYCgrrl I could get two tent lights for $700.00. :D

Comment

130 miles? thats some dedication right there.
              have you been to campmor in NJ? not as big and fancy as cabelas but have some pretty good deals

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
                130 miles? thats some dedication right there.
                have you been to campmor in NJ? not as big and fancy as cabelas but have some pretty good deals
                KK......I was sooooo dedicated to getting to Cabela's for my first in a long time camp equipment buying trip (NYC places I knew in my wasted youth are pretty much gone:()that I rented a car to get there and thenn followed mapquest's stoopid instructions which erroneously took us past Cabela's (outside... East Hartford?), almost to Bradley Airport on the CT/MA border:rolleyes:.

Where in Jersey is Campmoor's? Gotta get into the state soon to scope out storage space(looks like South Jersey is cheapest) and hook up w/ a North Jersey glamping friend (she's been seasonally RVing for years and now we are both doing a change in camping that involves swapping equipment; gotta have friends).
                Last edited by NYCgrrl; 03-20-2014, 02:42 PM.
                2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

KK......I was sooooo dedicated to getting to Cabela's for my first in a long time camp equipment buying trip (NYC places I knew in my wasted youth are pretty much gone:()that I rented a car to get there and thenn followed mapquest's stoopid instructions which erroneously took us past Cabela's (outside... East Hartford?), almost to Bradley Airport on the CT/MA border:rolleyes:.

Where in Jersey is Campmoor's? Gotta get into the state soon to scope out storage space and hook up w/ a glamping friend (she's been seasonally RVing for years and now we are both doing a change in camping that involves swapping equipment; gotta have friends).
                  campmor is located on rt 17 in northern NJ, not far from NYC,
                  can check them out online, campmor.com,
                  they're prices vary, but can find some good deals, as its a small shop(small being relative), they discount alot of stuff at end of season,
                  locally, havent found anyone much better than them,

Comment

Now I need to figure out what to purchase with that money. If I was NYCgrrl I could get two tent lights for $700.00. :D
                    Don't make me pretend yer one of my kiddos........it might hurt yer feelings and send ya to a psychiatrist's couch what I'm more than happy to tell them they should be old enough to pay for themselves....
                    2017:

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
                      campmor is located on rt 17 in northern NJ, not far from NYC,
                      can check them out online, campmor.com,
                      they're prices vary, but can find some good deals, as its a small shop(small being relative), they discount alot of stuff at end of season,
                      locally, havent found anyone much better than them,
                      Hearing you and going to the website now...so far I know I need:

tent stakes
                      various forms of bug repellent
                      a new fire poker to replace the one lost in a repacking fiasco
                      2017:

Comment

“I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                        – E. B. White

Comment

We finally had a decent day here in MN. We received about 6 inches of snow Thursday and the temps were cold until today. It's currently 36 degrees and sunny but it's windy. Tomorrow is supposed to be in the mid fifties but we are in a winter storm watch and a blizzard watch for Monday which will more than likely turn into a warnings. Supposed to get a foot or more of snow and 30 to 40 mph winds. Anyways.......the boys and I spent most of the day outside seasoning the Four Dog wood stove. The stove is very well built/engineered. I can't wait to put it to work.

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                            ...to quote Miss Summers....

http://youtu.be/MX7MbG6MiQs

2017:

Comment

...to quote Miss Summers....

http://youtu.be/MX7MbG6MiQs

Hey, its all about priorities. My wife and I went to the Arizona Renaissance Festival (again) yesterday. Earlier this year I found a frock coat that I just loved. $425. I would have bought it if I had had the cash...and the next time we went it was gone.
                              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                              – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                                Hey, its all about priorities. My wife and I went to the Arizona Renaissance Festival (again) yesterday. Earlier this year I found a frock coat that I just loved. $425. I would have bought it if I had had the cash...and the next time we went it was gone.
                                ...I can justify new shoe purchases in a nanosecond ...o yeahh and a few other items too :cool:. I thank my kiddos fer growing up, getting married, apologising fer being arrogant teens, thennnn asking me fer childcare tips and leaving my pocketbook to self...mostly:rolleyes:.....
                                2017:

Comment

Working...
                                X