X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: It's been a long winter...........

Originally posted by gmann View Post
    I purchased my gear today.

I am antsy to get out and spend a day or two in the woods. Hopefully things will work out and I will be able to get out in the next couple weeks or so.
    Aren't we all?
    Did you wind up with the Alaknac or something different?
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
      Aren't we all?
      Did you wind up with the Alaknac or something different?
      Alaknak 12x20 and a bunch of accessories for the tent.

I also purchased a Four Dog DX wood stove from Four Dog wood stoves. Check out the website at fourdog.com or YouTube Four Dog wood stoves. His shop just happens to be a couple hours from me. I spent a couple hours at his shop bs'ing about the great outdoors. This guy is full of knowledge and has quite a few connections within the bush craft community. Very interesting fellow.

As I have posted previously.........I spent many nights under the stars when I was younger and it has been twenty years or so since I have been camping with any seriousness. After my father passed last year I made the decision that I need to get back into camping. So, late last summer I started purchasing gear. Mainly by hitting up garage sales and auctions. It's amazing the good quality stuff you can find that is in great condition. Aside form getting stuff at sales and such the only stuff I purchased new was our sleeping systems.

So.........I have all the gear I need......I think..........I mean do you ever have all the gear you need? .

Within the last 24 hours I have nearly finalized a quick three day trip in the next couple weeks or so. It will be myself and my two boys. The weather will dictate if we go or not. All I am looking for is that the lows for the night need to be in the mid twenties to low thirties. I am by no means a fair weather camper. However, because I am bringing my boys I just need to make sure that the weather is decent enough so that we can get out of the tent during the day and fish or play or explore or cut firewood or make a fort or all the above.

Comment

Sounds like you are on yer way to being a full fledged camping gear addict....not that I'd know anything about the disease:D.
        By me the best time to buy gear is during the winter and fall when people are either trying to organize their winter stuff or cursing the fact they dinna do it earlier in the season.
        2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I mean do you ever have all the gear you need? .
          It's funny you mention that. I've been going over all the gear in all the storage containers, in the shed, on the shelves... and, surprising even to me, for the first time ever, I can't think of anything I need or even want. Been checking out the usual sites and stores to see if there's anything I just can't live with out and I'm coming up blank. This is really bothering me! No "cool new item" for 2014 :(

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
            It's funny you mention that. I've been going over all the gear in all the storage containers, in the shed, on the shelves... and, surprising even to me, for the first time ever, I can't think of anything I need or even want. Been checking out the usual sites and stores to see if there's anything I just can't live with out and I'm coming up blank. This is really bothering me! No "cool new item" for 2014 :(
            I can only assume you're posting with a high fever.......
            2017:

Comment

hahahah!

Speaking of new gear, my first trip of the year is the weekend after next and I'll get to test some of my new gear. Hope the sunny weather holds out for that weekend.

Comment

I don't know about a fever, but it is painful. I keep looking for an excuse to buy something but can't justify buying anything. This is torture, I tell you! Torture!

Comment

:D
                  U've done me a luverly public service.

Almost forgot I'm trying to figure out if a Tivoli unit will work whilst tenting and RVing. Don't wanna overstimulate the economy by just getting speakers fer the iPhone, LOL. I'm sooooo tired of the man dragging his broken antenna mini boombox along with the not so great sound. That I keep trying to repair at the last moment w/ the wrong gauge of wire<insert head slapping emoticon>.

Enjoy your new toys test, stuart, and be sure to let us know how it all goes.
                  Last edited by NYCgrrl; 03-09-2014, 04:43 PM.
                  2017:

Comment

Before your fist trip, I would try to set the tent up so you know how.
                    Nights camped in 2019: 24
                    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Question not particularly related to this thread.

A friend of mine owns a retail store. He specializes in purchasing liquidating stocks from insurance losses, bankruptcies, trailer upsets, closeouts, railroad salvage, and salesman samples. Whenever you hear of a fire, tornado, hurricane, flood, semi rollover, and any other disaster, there is a good chance he buys the merchandise.

Anyways...........he informed me that he has a truckload (literally) of Dura flame logs and I can help myself to as many as I want.

I do not have a fireplace or wood stove in my home. However, could I burn these logs in my new wood stove for my tent? In doing some quick research it looks as though the logs do not emit as much heat as wood. I car camp so hauling these "logs" would not be an issue. Anyone have experience or opinions with this?

Comment

A friend of mine owns a retail store. He specializes in purchasing liquidating stocks from insurance losses, bankruptcies, trailer upsets, closeouts, railroad salvage, and salesman samples. Whenever you hear of a fire, tornado, hurricane, flood, semi rollover, and any other disaster, there is a good chance he buys the merchandise.

Anyways...........he informed me that he has a truckload (literally) of Dura flame logs and I can help myself to as many as I want.

I do not have a fireplace or wood stove in my home. However, could I burn these logs in my new wood stove for my tent? In doing some quick research it looks as though the logs do not emit as much heat as wood. I car camp so hauling these "logs" would not be an issue. Anyone have experience or opinions with this?
                        I would have to say it depends on your stove. Here is some info about those logs that may answer your question:

http://www.duraflame.com/safety-tips/product-safety

*Take note of the section about the grate.

-S

Comment

From sad personal experience DuraFlame doesn't do much in the heat producing department. Once when my kiddos were young we lived in a house w/ a potbelly stove in the L/R as a feature. One weekend furnace died and nobody could come out until Monday to repair it. Decided to all camp out in the living room and sleep near the well stocked w/ DuraFlame stove. It was a migty coldddddd weekend......
                          2017:

Comment

Originally posted by stuartl89 View Post
                            I would have to say it depends on your stove. Here is some info about those logs that may answer your question:

http://www.duraflame.com/safety-tips/product-safety

*Take note of the section about the grate.

-S
                            From sad personal experience DuraFlame doesn't do much in the heat producing department. Once when my kiddos were young we lived in a house w/ a potbelly stove in the L/R as a feature. One weekend furnace died and nobody could come out until Monday to repair it. Decided to all camp out in the living room and sleep near the well stocked w/ DuraFlame stove. It was a migty coldddddd weekend......
                            Thanks.

Everything I could find out about them led me to believe the logs would not be a good option. But I thought I would see if anyone on this forum had any experience with them. I might bring a couple just to try it out. Hell......I've got access to a truckload of them.

Comment

I've got access to a truckload of them.
                              You could be in the firestarter business now. Slice 'em up!

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                                Still early in 2014. I'm sure something will come up.

Along those lines...I just got me a new (to me) truck. 99 Ford f150 4x4. At the moment it is a smoking deal at $2500. Will wait to see if the transmission falls out or something that will make it less of a great deal. But I bought it with camping in mind. The truck I have now is just a 6 cylinder and I wanted (from the day I bought it) a V8.
                                “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                                – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                                X