It's been a long winter...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's been a long winter...........

I live in west central MN. Since the first week of December about 95% of the days have been way below average regarding temperature. We have had numerous days in which the high temp for the day was 10 to 15 below zero. We have had numerous days that the temp combined with the wind chill has been 30, 40 and even 50 below zero. Numerous ground blizzards. I'm not complaining as this is MN and it is winter after all. However, I am ready for spring and lately I have been daydreaming for the day when I can set up my tent and wear short sleeves and shorts..................ll

The closest I will get to "camping" this winter will be in a couple weeks as I will be spending four nights on a lake in a 10' x 20' climate controlled fish house with a few friends.

Question. I am Looking to upgrade my tent. Preferably a 12x12 three or possibly four season tent. Mostly will be used in MN spring winter and fall with some late fall trips. Not canvas and I'm looking for quality. Been looking at Cabelas Alaknak. Anyone have any feedback or suggestions?

Re: It's been a long winter...........

Anyone out there???????????

Comment

I'm wondering if people haven't responded to your post because what you're looking for doesn't leave you with a whole lot of choices. By eliminating canvas I think you're narrowing your options down considerably.

I had to give up backpacking not too long ago and spent months looking at cabin tents. We might not get long harsh Minnesota winters here in Maryland, but it still gets bad enough that I wanted something to beat below zero cold and moderate snow storms. I didn't necessarily want to go canvas either, but I wasn't seeing too many non-canvas cabin tents that would suit me. Most of the large expedition tents I saw were way WAY out of my price range. The best price I saw on the Mountain Hardwear Space Station was around $3,500! It also has 15 poles which, to me, is more like a construction project, rather than a fun trip to the woods. It's also 19 feet in diameter. Larger than what I wanted or what you're looking for. The same goes for the Sierra Designs Grand Mothership 12. A ton of poles to be fed through a ton of full sleeves and a $4,000 price tag. At 15 x 16, it is a bit smaller than the Space Station though. The Hilleberg Atlas, at almost $1,800 (without a floor!) just made my head go blank. Just couldn't accept that any nylon tent could cost that much and not even give you ground protection.

You didn't say whether or not you wanted standing room. I did, so that eliminated most of the tents in my price range. If you're not worried about that - and have the pocketbook - the Hilleberg Saitaris looks promising (but it's still $1,800!) Somewhat smaller than 12 x12 but it's a true expedition grade tent that doesn't appear to require 4 people and an hour to put it up. The only complaint I've ever seen in a review of a Hilleberg is the price. For quality and functionality they get nothing but high marks.

Coming back down to Earth to the "real peoples' price range", I actually considered getting an Alaknak. But I saw too many reviews complaining about leaks and heat retention to make that a viable option. I saw other tents at sites like Sportsman's Guide, Eureka and Gander Mountain but most of those were immediately thrown out for things like the lack of a full rain fly, too much mesh for true cold weather camping and reviews for quality complaints.

What else have you looked at? What have you ruled out? What other tents have you thought were still in the running?

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
        I'm wondering if people haven't responded to your post because what you're looking for doesn't leave you with a whole lot of choices. By eliminating canvas I think you're narrowing your options down considerably.

I had to give up backpacking not too long ago and spent months looking at cabin tents. We might not get long harsh Minnesota winters here in Maryland, but it still gets bad enough that I wanted something to beat below zero cold and moderate snow storms. I didn't necessarily want to go canvas either, but I wasn't seeing too many non-canvas cabin tents that would suit me. Most of the large expedition tents I saw were way WAY out of my price range. The best price I saw on the Mountain Hardwear Space Station was around $3,500! It also has 15 poles which, to me, is more like a construction project, rather than a fun trip to the woods. It's also 19 feet in diameter. Larger than what I wanted or what you're looking for. The same goes for the Sierra Designs Grand Mothership 12. A ton of poles to be fed through a ton of full sleeves and a $4,000 price tag. At 15 x 16, it is a bit smaller than the Space Station though. The Hilleberg Atlas, at almost $1,800 (without a floor!) just made my head go blank. Just couldn't accept that any nylon tent could cost that much and not even give you ground protection.

You didn't say whether or not you wanted standing room. I did, so that eliminated most of the tents in my price range. If you're not worried about that - and have the pocketbook - the Hilleberg Saitaris looks promising (but it's still $1,800!) Somewhat smaller than 12 x12 but it's a true expedition grade tent that doesn't appear to require 4 people and an hour to put it up. The only complaint I've ever seen in a review of a Hilleberg is the price. For quality and functionality they get nothing but high marks.

Coming back down to Earth to the "real peoples' price range", I actually considered getting an Alaknak. But I saw too many reviews complaining about leaks and heat retention to make that a viable option. I saw other tents at sites like Sportsman's Guide, Eureka and Gander Mountain but most of those were immediately thrown out for things like the lack of a full rain fly, too much mesh for true cold weather camping and reviews for quality complaints.

What else have you looked at? What have you ruled out? What other tents have you thought were still in the running?
        Thanks for the reply.

I have ruled out canvas. I need a tent that is a really decent four season tent. In addition, I will be camping with my wife and my two boys ages 7 and 5. My 7 year old is disabled so we need a little extra room to deal with that. We will need standing room as well.

I have eliminated the high end tents. I have been researching various brands but there very few options for the size I want and having the option of using a wood stove. Also, it seems every tent has pros and cons. Based on my research and what is available in the size I want I am heavily leaning towards the 12x20 Alaknak.

Comment

I live in northern Wisconsin and have been experiencing the same weather as you: steady in the below zero range. I cannot remember it ever being this cold for this long

I have primitive tent camped several times this winter, but it has been challenging. I appreciate the dryness, but the extreme cold has detracted from the experience somewhat

I will say that if I have one anxiety about the winter weather, it is my anxiety that winter will end too soon. I love winter and we have had an abunance of snow this year. I am loving it

As for a tent recommendation, I have not been in the market for a tent so I have nothing new to add. It might be the same for other CF members. Go to some good stores like Cabelas and ask them. They offer have online "experts" who can discuss with you

I will say this about tents: there is no such thing as a 4 season tent. There are three season tents and there are winter tents. You can push a three season tent in winter, but a four season tent will be too hot in summer. I too am an outdoor enthusiast family man. Based on my experience, you might have a difficult time getting your family to winter camp with you for the long term and you might let that idea influence your tent choice decision
          Last edited by Mike; 02-13-2014, 01:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gmann View Post
            Thanks for the reply.

I have ruled out canvas. I need a tent that is a really decent four season tent. In addition, I will be camping with my wife and my two boys ages 7 and 5. My 7 year old is disabled so we need a little extra room to deal with that. We will need standing room as well.

I have eliminated the high end tents. I have been researching various brands but there very few options for the size I want and having the option of using a wood stove. Also, it seems every tent has pros and cons. Based on my research and what is available in the size I want I am heavily leaning towards the 12x20 Alaknak.
            My brother has this tent minus the vestabule and loves it. He claims he can set it up by himself in under half an hour....and a bit longer if his kids help. I think it is a great tent. Plenty of room inside with only a couple poles. With the stove it stays nice and warm inside plus you have the option of 'cooking' or at least heating up some coffee. Keep in mind that we are here in Arizona where the winters are pretty mild (it will be in the 90's here in Phoenix this week) but I know he has taken it to cold weather states (Montana or Utah for hunting trips) and said it worked well.
            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
            – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
              My brother has this tent minus the vestabule and loves it. He claims he can set it up by himself in under half an hour....and a bit longer if his kids help. I think it is a great tent. Plenty of room inside with only a couple poles. With the stove it stays nice and warm inside plus you have the option of 'cooking' or at least heating up some coffee. Keep in mind that we are here in Arizona where the winters are pretty mild (it will be in the 90's here in Phoenix this week) but I know he has taken it to cold weather states (Montana or Utah for hunting trips) and said it worked well.
              I'm going to go with the 12x20 Alaknak and one vestibule plus some other accessories. I will also be purchasing a Four Dog wood stove.

It's a pretty hefty price tag but the items should last for quite a few years. The tent will get used often and it will create quite a few memories for my family.

Comment

I'm going to go with the 12x20 Alaknak and one vestibule plus some other accessories. I will also be purchasing a Four Dog wood stove.

It's a pretty hefty price tag but the items should last for quite a few years. The tent will get used often and it will create quite a few memories for my family.
                My brother has had his for quite a few years. In fact, not long ago he told me that when he bought it it was $500-600.
                “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                  My brother has had his for quite a few years. In fact, not long ago he told me that when he bought it it was $500-600.
                  The 12x20 is a bit pricier these days. I plan on using it for several trips over the next 6-8 months. My goal is to spend a minimum of twenty nights in the tent this season. I also tend to take extra care of my stuff so I'm hoping to get several years out of the Alaknak.

I will be picking up my Four Dog wood stove and tent within the next three weeks or so. I'm getting really antsy to spend a couple days in the great outdoors...............

Comment

The closest I will get to "camping" this winter will be in a couple weeks as I will be spending four nights on a lake in a 10' x 20' climate controlled fish house with a few friends.
                    So........quick little update about my adventure. We got on the lake Thursday afternoon. Upper Red Lake in northern mn. It's one of the larger lakes in mn. In fact, we were ice fishing about 6 miles from shore. Thursday night we received 6 inches of snow versus 2 that was predicted. Friday the wind kicked up. The forecast called for up to 2" of snow and not much else.

By noon on Friday the wind was blowing 40 mph to 50 mph and the snow was blowing like crazy on the lake. Around 1pm access to the lake was closed. In our immediate area there were close to 15 groups fishing. The outfitter decided it best to "evacuate" everyone. Other groups were comprised of families or elderly or others who were really freaked out by the weather. Because our group was prepared for challenges and quite capable to weather any storm we volunteered to be the last ones off the lake.

On the way out to the groups the outfitter would plow the road which was drifted over and when they went to bring them to shore (about an hour later) the road was drifted shut with 4' of snow. With 2 groups to go the outfitter made the call to cease operations around 5 pm. We were left to take care of ourselves.

Long story short, we were able to finally get out earlier this afternoon.

Comment

You can buy quality $500 tents all day long off Ebay, I've bought three, each new with tags at 60% off MSRP. I wouldn't want anything bigger than a 10 X 10 due to limits on where you can set your tent up. I've been in 50-60 MPH winds with my Sierra Designs tents (videos are posted on some of these forums) and they had many years on them by the time we hit sustained wind that high for that long. Two smaller tents are a lot easier to manage and set up than one large one, have greater structural integrity, and give you a lot more options on where to set them up when you pick out a site. REI, EMS, Sierra Designs, NorthFace, Mountain HardWear, Big Agnes, and Marmot all offer quality tents and if you're patient you can buy off ebay like we did and save a lot of money, or one of the larger dealers like CampMoor. That said, you sound like with your particulars involving wood stoves and long setups, you may not have a choice to go to McMansion tents. I'd steer toward propane heaters like the Wave series and 20-lb bottles with a 4 or 6 or even an 8 man polyester full-coverage fly, anodized aluminum pole 3 or 4 season tent, but then you do seem to have a handle on what you will need for your application and my suggestions seem to not fit with your setup either.
                      Last edited by tplife; 02-24-2014, 08:09 PM.
                      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

So........quick little update about my adventure. We got on the lake Thursday afternoon. Upper Red Lake in northern mn. It's one of the larger lakes in mn. In fact, we were ice fishing about 6 miles from shore. Thursday night we received 6 inches of snow versus 2 that was predicted. Friday the wind kicked up. The forecast called for up to 2" of snow and not much else.

By noon on Friday the wind was blowing 40 mph to 50 mph and the snow was blowing like crazy on the lake. Around 1pm access to the lake was closed. In our immediate area there were close to 15 groups fishing. The outfitter decided it best to "evacuate" everyone. Other groups were comprised of families or elderly or others who were really freaked out by the weather. Because our group was prepared for challenges and quite capable to weather any storm we volunteered to be the last ones off the lake.

On the way out to the groups the outfitter would plow the road which was drifted over and when they went to bring them to shore (about an hour later) the road was drifted shut with 4' of snow. With 2 groups to go the outfitter made the call to cease operations around 5 pm. We were left to take care of ourselves.

Long story short, we were able to finally get out earlier this afternoon.
                        Sounds like you had a lot of fun
                        – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                          You can buy quality $500 tents all day long off Ebay, I've bought three, each new with tags at 60% off MSRP. I wouldn't want anything bigger than a 10 X 10 due to limits on where you can set your tent up. I've been in 50-60 MPH winds with my Sierra Designs tents (videos are posted on some of these forums) and they had many years on them by the time we hit sustained wind that high for that long. Two smaller tents are a lot easier to manage and set up than one large one, have greater structural integrity, and give you a lot more options on where to set them up when you pick out a site. REI, EMS, Sierra Designs, NorthFace, Mountain HardWear, Big Agnes, and Marmot all offer quality tents and if you're patient you can buy off ebay like we did and save a lot of money, or one of the larger dealers like CampMoor. That said, you sound like with your particulars involving wood stoves and long setups, you may not have a choice to go to McMansion tents. I'd steer toward propane heaters like the Wave series and 20-lb bottles with a 4 or 6 or even an 8 man polyester full-coverage fly, anodized aluminum pole 3 or 4 season tent, but then you do seem to have a handle on what you will need for your application and my suggestions seem to not fit with your setup either.
                          Thanks for the feedback. I have done a ton of research on tents. I have researched online and I have visited retails stores that specialize in camping. In fact, there is a university not far from here that has an outdoor rec program that rents out camping gear. I rented quite a few tents last summer in all shapes and sizes. I set them up in the back yard just to get a feel for them.

As I have stated in previous posts, my seven year old son has Cerebral Palsy. We need the room that most tents don't offer. For my family the McMansion tent is the option that will work for us.

Quick update on weather here in MN. It's March now and the average temp is supposed to be in the mid 30's to low 40's. Current temp is -17 with wind chill it feels like -37. :(

Comment

I might have mentioned this before, but for severe winter camping like Minnesota, if you have a budget, spend your money on the sleeping systems rather than the tent

With the right sleep system, you can sleep in a snow trench without a tent.

Good sleeping pads and sleeping bags will keep you warm without a tent, but even the best tent will not keep you warm without a good sleep system

Comment

I purchased my gear today.

I am antsy to get out and spend a day or two in the woods. Hopefully things will work out and I will be able to get out in the next couple weeks or so.

Comment

Working...
                              X