Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camp Kitchens

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
    I actually do have a cookset that I never use - I bought it for my wife and added to it over the years, and then she wasn't able to camp with me any more. It is called the Cowboy Cookset. They don't make them any more :-( But the thing is massive enough to where I could see how a chuck box would be useful. But it would have to be a big one.
    If you ever get the chance I would love to see a picture of that set someday.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by Denni2 View Post
      We loved this, but things did not fit well so we had to reconfigure and consolidate some things. This is what we are using now. This is lighter and easier.

Sorry the last picture is so large, it won't resize, GRRR. We are using 2 Plano boxes. This works better for us with the new car and I do less moving things around, it is just grab and go. I would like to make dividers for the utility box, but it isn't a priority. Everything stays in place pretty much.
      What is used for the dividers in the last photo? I really like this.
      Last edited by CampinLady; 07-12-2016, 02:17 PM.
      Hope to camp in my new Columbia Fall River 8 Instant Tent in 2017

Comment

Originally posted by CampinLady View Post
        What is used for the dividers in the last photo? I really like this.
        I used 1/4" plywood and quarter round for the dividers.

Comment

Originally posted by kcscout View Post
          I have been gearing up to start the family car camping traditions... which will start this coming summer. I'm looking at having everything that I need without going too overboard, but I will probably be somewhat overboard by some people's definition...

Anyway, I have decided to get a kitchen set for the food prep, etc. and wondering what others have used and liked or dis-liked.

I've seen some different options from Cabelas and Bass Pro as well as other options like coleman. Interestingly enough for size and function I like something that I saw at Cabelas and similar to the Coleman Camp Kitchen... However when I look at price, I see that for $10 more literally I can get the 'decked' out kitchen versus everything I need in a smaller footprint which I like as well. Part of me would say heck for $10 more go for the cadillac of camp kitchens. :-)

Suggestions from others with experience with this home improvement lynnwood wa?

Growing up there was no concept of having a 'kitchen' when our family went camping, but my experience from the scouts who always have a setup makes it really nice to have for campouts... I think for the wife any creature comforts I can add will be nice as well. Lots of kitchen setups also have sinks for cleaning, although for scouts we just use a series of plastic buckets to wash mess kits and then the buckets stack together for storage.
          We are thinking of purchasing a camping kitchen for cooking outdoors. Really don't need a stove stand since our stove moves outside and attaches to the side of the PUP. Just something to do prep work and set stuff up on. Recommendations? Also, I see some of them have a sink basin built in, of course we have the sink in the PUP so probably don't need that outdoor also, unless for washing veggies and such off?

Comment

Personally I would start small and add things until you are sure that you really need/want a so called camp kitchen;
            First make all decisions in close coordination with the person who is actually going to be doing the cooking...
            Second check the performance and recipes at home on the kitchen counter (and keep notes as to what worked best).

I have recently switched to modern scratch resistant pans ; don't discount them out of hand.
            my traditional heat source has been split between a propane 2 burner Coleman stove and grill over the the campfire coals.... since its just me now, I have downsized to a one burner propane stove.

If a tailgate or pick-nick table is not available to cook on consider a folding table at a comfortable height.

Note I tried making a camp kitchen some years ago and found it to be a pain to pack,unpack and transport.
            I now carry 80+ % of my camp cooking stuff in a single large Harbor Freight case 2 cases if the pan case is included. Note the folding campfire grill is carried in the top of the cooking case.
            The bottom of the case can serve as a sink.

Note I tried microwave off grid cooking, in conjunction with an induction cooking "hobb" but carrying the junk to supply the necessary electrical energy was just too much trouble; IMO.. (have no use/need for a generator)'

If you are going to be cooking for a gaggle you may need more.

Click image for larger version

Name:	stove and cooking stuffDSCF0357.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	82674

Enjoy!
            2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
            For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
            Ground tents work best for me, so far.
            Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I agree with Happy Joe. Start simple.

I find that a lot of these "organizational" products actually create more work than using boxes/crates and a basic table. They often take up much more room when transporting, you end up still having to take the boxes/crates and then moving stuff from the boxes to the camp kitchen and then back to the boxes.

Simply better arranging your current storage will accomplish what you want from the kitchen.

Also, most camp kitchens are set at a fairly standard height. This may be too short or too tall for the person using it. Getting an adjustable height folding table for prep work may be a far better option.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Working...
              X