Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camp Kitchens

Originally posted by Jopopsy View Post
    I'd only start the generator if those around me were running them. A lot of the State campsites I'm seeing also host RVs; I'm looking for some tranquility like I had when I was a Scout but if the neighbors are making noise why not?
    Yaaaa...... kinda like tossing your garbage on the ground - if there is already garbage there and other folks are tossing garbage around.... why not, right?

I remember that logic from the '60's. You never had to worry about getting lost - just follow the garbage trail.

Comment

Originally posted by Jopopsy View Post
      I'd only start the generator if those around me were running them. A lot of the State campsites I'm seeing also host RVs; I'm looking for some tranquility like I had when I was a Scout but if the neighbors are making noise why not?

The hell with generators!! next on my list is a good AGM battery, solar panel with regulator charge controller.. I always try to be the better person at a camp ground by not littering it with noise and trash cause then i would be just stooping to their level.. Monkey see monkey do is never the right thing!!
      Proud owner of the Kodiak canvas 10 x 14 deluxe flex bow tent..

Comment

"Bass pro" (at least) in Ontario is way over priced.
        Shop around, you can find a lot of cheap car camping/drive-up cooking gear at goodwill/or thrift shops. Other stuff can be purchased at dollar stores.
        Do a lot of basic food prep at home(unless your like me and like doing that in the field) it save on time and gear needed to prep.

Comment

Originally posted by Logtec View Post
          "Bass pro" (at least) in Ontario is way over priced.
          Shop around, you can find a lot of cheap car camping/drive-up cooking gear at goodwill/or thrift shops. Other stuff can be purchased at dollar stores.
          Do a lot of basic food prep at home(unless your like me and like doing that in the field) it save on time and gear needed to prep.
          So true about Basspro, i picked up some Deet 100 at the walmart for $4 dollars and some change and the same product was over $7 dollar at Basspro.

Very true on the prep... I even make ghee out of butter by heating the butter and skimming off the the white on top, This way it does not need to be kept cool and has a long shelf life just keep it in a small jar..
          Last edited by swebob; 01-27-2013, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by swebob View Post
            So true about Basspro, i picked up some Deet 100 at the walmart for $4 dollars and some change and the same product was over $7 dollar at Basspro.

Very true on the prep...
            The MSR water filter I picked up at MEC was $78, at bass pro the same filter was $109...
            The only basspro I know of, is on the main highway that leads out of/from Toronto(our major city) straight into cottage country or the great white north.. Figures their prices are so high!

Comment

I always thought I wanted one of these camp kitchens.
              The best part about the one I got was, I got it for $20.00 at a yard sale. The better part is I sold it for $35.00 without even taking it camping. It was too heavy, too short, and not enough surface to make it worth lugging along.

Comment

So far as basspro, although a little extra effort, they will price match competition prices. In my case I had a gift card for Basspro, so needed to get something there. I had them price match a stove that was $30 less at Walmart.

Comment

We just yesterday went out and bought a Cabela's Camp kitchen!! I am DYING to try this out. I am so tired of fishing through totes for stuff. The kitchen we got comes with a sink area which I think will come in real handy. Can't wait to use this!!! Our 1st camping trip will be the weekend of may 11th, so we'll know then just how much this thing will help. I didn't get the most expensive deluxe kitchen, because I didn't see much of a difference between it and the less expensive one. Will let you all know how it goes!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaineAgenda View Post
                    We just yesterday went out and bought a Cabela's Camp kitchen!! I am DYING to try this out. I am so tired of fishing through totes for stuff. The kitchen we got comes with a sink area which I think will come in real handy. Can't wait to use this!!! Our 1st camping trip will be the weekend of may 11th, so we'll know then just how much this thing will help. I didn't get the most expensive deluxe kitchen, because I didn't see much of a difference between it and the less expensive one. Will let you all know how it goes!!
                    Yes let us know. I'm pretty sure you will believe HogSnappers posts after you put it to use. Good luck and have a great season.

Comment

Well, I can't imagine using shallow totes. We have too much stuff, and shallow totes just wouldn't work for our situation. I have separate totes for different things, but I HATE fishing through them. Really looking forward to using the kitchen. Will t works let you all know how it works out!

Comment

I use the shallow tote system when car camping. I use only one that is roughly 18" x 30" x 6" tall. I keep all cooking supplies, utensils, plates, cups, bread, seasonings, etc. in the tote. Has served me well for the past couple of years for 1-2 night stays. The only cooking items that don't go in are my skillet (think it is 18" skillet) and my grill. But then, when I go out, it is usually just me and my dog or one friend and we only stay out a couple of nights.
                        "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Comment

I see the point of shallower totes, but its hard to put all our cast iron in shallow totes. And when we go camping, we usually go for more than a few days. I think I will do a test. I will buy a few shallow totes and see how they work for us. Why not right??? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by West Texan View Post
                            I use the shallow tote system when car camping. I use only one that is roughly 18" x 30" x 6" tall. I keep all cooking supplies, utensils, plates, cups, bread, seasonings, etc. in the tote. Has served me well for the past couple of years for 1-2 night stays. The only cooking items that don't go in are my skillet (think it is 18" skillet) and my grill. But then, when I go out, it is usually just me and my dog or one friend and we only stay out a couple of nights.

Glad the shallow totes worked for you but just didn't do it for me. Ive used everything from the shallow tote and still didnt seem to have enough room and it would take up a big space in my car floor, i was even puting stuff in big giant clear bags thinking it would make it easier seeing things but just created a mess. I also went from a 2 qt. pot to a small 3.5 cup Imusa aluminum cup for boiling water

Now i use about 3 milk crates, one for dry food and coffee, one for tent lights and ect.. and one for kitchen stuff which i keep lite. I also use to just fold pillows and quilts loose that would take up a lot of room and now i roll them up tight and use bunge cords around them.

I have cut the bulk of my load getting rid of things i dont use and going lite on cooking supplies and other things. i have created so much more room in my car in the last few trips.
                            Last edited by swebob; 02-18-2013, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kcscout View Post
                              So far as basspro, although a little extra effort, they will price match competition prices. In my case I had a gift card for Basspro, so needed to get something there. I had them price match a stove that was $30 less at Walmart.
                              MEC will price match too.
                              But since it is a co-op/membership driven- all of your purchases are in their system under your name, so you don't need a receipt to return anything.
                              They have a great return policy, you can buy something use it a few times if you don't like it or doesn't meet your needs, they will gladly take it back no questions asked.
                              They also have a lifetime guarantee, I had a MEC backpack, the zipper broke after 5 years of daily use i brought it in- they gave me a brand new backpack.

Comment

Go here for some ideas and build something that works for you. It doesnt take alot of work to custom build something for yourself and it is fun. The boy scouts usually build their own chuck boxes. One for each patrol of 8 scouts. I have built several through the years. Not any of these designs, but thay will give you some ideas. Also Check out Blueskykitchen.com. They have a few decent ideas. Or try a google search for " chuckboxes". Also, when you check out blueskykitchen.com, the guy who designed these chuck boxes has videos for each box as you search the website, that will show you how the boxes can be organized to give you nice working spaces and compact storage.
                                Last edited by Hikenhunter; 02-18-2013, 10:18 PM. Reason: Add information

Comment

Working...
                                X