Camp Kitchens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camp Kitchens

Why don't you tell us how you really feel about these "disposable" camp kitchens?

I say "disposable" because you forgot to mention that unless you pack-down with the care of a surgeon you are going to bend those flimsy hinge locks and aluminum riveted legs.

Of course, I could not agree with you more. Especially about simple, inexpensive light-weight folding tables.

Gus

Comment

As a person who actually owns a camp kitchen (yeehup. The deluxe Cabela unit) this is what I can tell ya about it:

It's great for extended stays and large groups. When I'm off on a 1-2 week stay it makes my life easy with a 7 y/o and 13 y/o and/or a bunch of adults. Everything is organised, I don't have to get up from my well deserved seat to direct anyone to a something (doncha ya hate when you're in the zone and someone can't find, say the bottle opener? Breaks the mood). Less than that time frame and only two adults, it stays in storage. That's when I use half the on site picnic table as a kitchen work space.

Now, if you are w/e camping and have say 2 kids......I might opt for a less involved cooking space as a tryo. The main cook deserves a work space that doesn't have to be cleared off when kiddos are in the middle of crafting/ giving each crab/tadpole it's own bucket, on the picnic table. Doesn't have to be elaborate just a table(or series of tables) with hooks will do ya fine. For me, I'd be happy with 2-3 connected tables, a pot holder under shelf and some hooks. This would give me a prep area, a cooking table (stoves fill one table alone) and a place to put plates as I dish out food. The sink on my unit is useless to me as I camp where water is available and besides I don't do dishes. EVER(not in my job description). However the sink does come in handy for cooling a watermelon or oversized bottles. I do use the pantries and have never had any probs with critters getting into them but then the camp kitchen is located in a shelter with ample tent stakes on all sides. Gotta love the fabric's dernier and zippers . Both top-notch. Easy to clean (got hose and Dawn? Yer fine). I use 1 pantry bag for children's snacks and art supplies; no need for them to go rooting around in the other end. Parents have been known to like this. Condiments and such foodstuff are stored at the other end. Also sparklers and glow sticks for the 4th of July. The biggest problem I've had is the "S" hooks can be awkward to attach. Last year I learned that children's hands are great for this. Now the kiddos have a new camp setup job.

I've had my kitchen for...3 years(?) and with the exception of the table the stove sits on it (the Formica has a burn spot and had I not been a lazy lima bean I'd have put a piece of sheet metal under it before I took the unit out the first year since I'd already read reviews noting this prob. But. I didn't. ) it's just as pristine as the day I bought it.
      Beyond the wash and dry of the bags the only maintenance I've had with the kitchen is to W-D 40 the joints of the hinges. Not sure if I do it just for the fun of it or if it's necessary but it can't hurt. I certainly think I've received my value for the $130.00 I spent on this purchase.

I'm quite familiar with working w/i restaurant kitchens yet the NYC variety are not always as large as some I've seen elsewhere. Suffice to say for my needs and wants, the kitchen has workable space and worth, used appropriately.

I think it's wonderful that you are thinking about camping as a family and considering every family members' needs. Life changes when there is more than memememe and it seems you've a fine beginning. Not that I plan to tell my family that but welllll yanno.

Have fun and enjoy no matter what you decide to do.
      Last edited by NYCgrrl; 03-26-2013, 02:09 PM. Reason: price chk
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Well, I for one am looking forward to using my camp kitchen for the 1st time. I will post an honest review after I do. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaineAgenda View Post
          We just yesterday went out and bought a Cabela's Camp kitchen!! I am DYING to try this out. I am so tired of fishing through totes for stuff. The kitchen we got comes with a sink area which I think will come in real handy. Can't wait to use this!!! Our 1st camping trip will be the weekend of may 11th, so we'll know then just how much this thing will help. I didn't get the most expensive deluxe kitchen, because I didn't see much of a difference between it and the less expensive one. Will let you all know how it goes!!
          I hear you on the totes. Was bored of that the first year I did it. Just let me cook and move on to the cocktail+sunset hour, LOL.

I no longer recall what all difference in features were for the top and mid price units. However I think one was the hook system and the other was a personal preference for the open metal shelf under the center table. Worked better for storing pots and platters for my thunk. You can jerryrig an approximation of the hooks by putting a bungee cord around the edge of the one of table to hang items like tongs off it. This will not work for items like spatulas and spoons so conversely you could just hang a water bottle bag from a "lantern hook" and place your utensils in there. Do check your tote bag. I know they received a lot of complaints on it before I bought so I did make sure to double stitch the twill tapes' stitch lines, add a boxed "X" to the stress point where the tape becomes a handle and last year, I added stiff leather patches to the bottom. The patch system is useful for those who drag the bag instead of carrying it. I don't know what the height is of the tables on the unit you got but if it's the same as the one I purchased, it's height is the same as the ones in homes and commercial kitchens, nationwide. I mentioned this in a previous post but it bears repeating: placing a custom metal plate or half tray(baking) under the table you'll place your stove on will prevent any heat spots on the Formica type table top. I use the table on the far right for the stove but I'm left handed.

Enjoy your new purchase and yes do let us know how it worked for ya in action.
          2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

As an update I did receive a new kitchen just yesterday, and I think it will be almost perfect for something that isn't overwhelming in size, but has everything that I need. Found it online so got a slightly better price than in a store... Coleman Pack-away kitchen.
            http://coleman.com/product/pack-away...0#.UZO3WDc6XTo

It has a lid that will help block the wind and also my 3 burner coleman stove will fit on the metal table. It has the pole for a lantern, a sink and lots of spots for storage as well. When done, everything folds down and has 2 handles that can be used to carry it.

I sort of think of coleman as the 'Chevy' of camping gear, but this looks like something that will best suit my needs. The idea of just getting a folding table would be very versatible as well, but might be concerned if I was trying to setup a cooking surface on a table not necessarily meant for holding hot cooking grills, etc. The cabelas and bass pro had very nice set ups as well, but seemed like way too much for my needs. Although Cabelas does offer one option where it is just a single table with a nylon bag below for storage that seemed like an even more compact option, but I see the bags possibly getting torn up over time, and it had really short legs that some people complained about being less stable.

Looking forward to trying it out over memorial weekend!

Comment

I'd recommend not overcomplicating it out of the gate. Buy a few plastic tubs. One to keep pans, pots, cutlery, etc within along with anything else you see fit to cook. Stack that in a second tub that you can do dishes in with some water and a little soap, they don't have to be big tubs.

Any stove will do along as you are comfortable using it or there is still the almighty campfire!

Bring essentials and learn as you go as to what you really like. I've also like using a folding table of sorts to bring just in case a picnic table isn't around.

Comment

I'm thinking about picking up one of these. Seems like a great place to put the camp stove, and provides for some storage of items that would otherwise be put in a plastic tote or two.

http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Sher...f+Sherpa+Table
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jopopsy View Post
                  I'm thinking about picking up one of these. Seems like a great place to put the camp stove, and provides for some storage of items that would otherwise be put in a plastic tote or two.

http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Sher...f+Sherpa+Table
                  OK. I'll admit it. My camping equipment is heavy on kitchen gear. In fact my camp kitchen has a better set up than my apartment kitchen, LOL. I've been thinking of adding this unit to my stuff.......would make a nice moremore counter space/organization of dishes and certain utensils.......thinkingthinkingthinking.
                  2017:

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                    OK. I'll admit it. My camping equipment is heavy on kitchen gear. In fact my camp kitchen has a better set up than my apartment kitchen, LOL. I've been thinking of adding this unit to my stuff.......would make a nice moremore counter space/organization of dishes and certain utensils.......thinkingthinkingthinking.
                    Amazon will have this at my door today. Along w/ one of those Coleman propane coffee pot/machines. Forget cowboy coffee, my truck has a bed for a reason !!

Comment

Originally posted by teddybear8
                      My kitchen setup is pretty simple. I have a colman duo burner stove which is usually set up at the edge of a picnic table. Rest of the cutlery and dried food are in medium sized plastic bins with lids and all fridge stuff are in coolers. Easy to set up and put away. I was laughing when I saw this:

Too "fancy" for me. This looks like a child's play set haha.

This is my play set on site:
                      Sorry for the messy state but this is why:

Long trips means this mama needs a realll kitchen.
                      However there's a way to camp for all of us.
                      2017:

Comment

Originally posted by kcscout View Post
                        I have been gearing up to start the family car camping traditions... which will start this coming summer. I'm looking at having everything that I need without going too overboard, but I will probably be somewhat overboard by some people's definition...

Anyway, I have decided to get a kitchen set for the food prep, etc. and wondering what others have used and liked or dis-liked.

I've seen some different options from Cabelas and Bass Pro as well as other options like coleman. Interestingly enough for size and function I like something that I saw at Cabelas and similar to the Coleman Camp Kitchen... However when I look at price, I see that for $10 more literally I can get the 'decked' out kitchen versus everything I need in a smaller footprint which I like as well. Part of me would say heck for $10 more go for the cadillac of camp kitchens. :-)

Suggestions from others with experience with this?

Growing up there was no concept of having a 'kitchen' when our family went camping, but my experience from the scouts who always have a setup makes it really nice to have for campouts... I think for the wife any creature comforts I can add will be nice as well. Lots of kitchen setups also have sinks for cleaning, although for scouts we just use a series of plastic buckets to wash mess kits and then the buckets stack together for storage.
                        What ever happened to using a cast iron pans and the campfire.

Comment

My wife approves of the Sherpa setup. It seems pretty well made, with plenty of aluminum so its weight is mostly what you put into it. I was able to put my whole MSR pot set, 4 stainless steel plates, 4 stainless steel bowls, and Coleman untensils for 4 all in one of the 4 pouches.

This thing is going to be very handy.

Comment

Originally posted by Jopopsy View Post
                            My wife approves of the Sherpa setup. It seems pretty well made, with plenty of aluminum so its weight is mostly what you put into it. I was able to put my whole MSR pot set, 4 stainless steel plates, 4 stainless steel bowls, and Coleman untensils for 4 all in one of the 4 pouches.

This thing is going to be very handy.
                            Good to hear!
                            I'm wondering if I can use the Sherpa system as an extended counter top as well as organised storage space for long trips and as a stand alone camp kitchen during shorter durataion trips. A larger space setup means I'd be able to have both girls assist me in cooking meals ( I'm a cooking teacher for a select few). I'm gonna have to get do some spec viewing and RL measuring to ensure the Sherpa will fit to the side of the existing camp kitchen..
                            Oh goody! A new project, LOL.
                            2017:

Comment

It's a big and glorious kitchen setup, and does have all the necessities if you have a couple of families sharing, it's not more work, but more gear! Obviously for a smaller group it's overkill, although we all take a Nalgene tub, folding table, stove and chuckbox setup, whether big or small, soft or hard-sided... :cool:
                              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I used to carry and store all my kitchen gear in plastic toteboxes. I hated having to dig through everything just to get something out. Here is all the camp kitchen stuff I needed a place for.

So I custom designed and built this Chuck wagon box.

And this is the box and gear in use. The legs come off for transporting.

Last edited by Old Time Camper; 06-06-2013, 08:41 PM.
                                I’m a self-made man, I started out with nothing and I still have most of it!

Comment

Working...
                                X