What are you driving?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What are you driving?!

No need to apologize. I'm a pretty mature person myself. It is a Toyota vehicle. It belongs to the FJ series like the Toyota Land Cruiser. It's in the same general league as the Land Rover and some Jeep SUVs or even a Hummer. It's made to go off-road as well as on the highway. Hopefully I expect it will give me tolerable fuel economy. It is roomy and comfortable. It rides very well on city streets and highways, but it can go where a regular car or pickup truck cannot go....
    Last edited by silverz51; 10-13-2011, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by silverz51 View Post
      Thanks, I do hope I enjoy a different kind of driving experience... The nearly $10K in the bank was a big deciding factor too. Of course, I traded down so the feeling of euphoria one gets from trading up is not there... Oh well, now I must find some place nearby to test the 4WD

And when I go back to your part of the country, I am definitely going to enjoy taking those rough roads that lead to beautiful places.
      Just do not go on some of the roads I tend to take my beast on. The paint on my truck is gouged, marred, and scraped up from many many branches. I have to admit that your vehicle doesn't look too bad for a Toy. They seem to have impressive ground clearance for a stock vehicle, and I have wanted to test one out for a while now.
      Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

Originally posted by immortal_ben View Post
        Just do not go on some of the roads I tend to take my beast on. The paint on my truck is gouged, marred, and scraped up from many many branches. I have to admit that your vehicle doesn't look too bad for a Toy. They seem to have impressive ground clearance for a stock vehicle, and I have wanted to test one out for a while now.
        I am pretty new at this, so I don't expect to go rock crawling or mud bogging any time in the foreseeable future. You are probably a hard core "wheeler", and have a "real" off-road beast. The FJ is a decent off-road toy, but not as good as a Wrangler or a dedicated off road vehicle. I do want to test it out soon though..

Comment

My brother-in-law drives toyota pick-up 4 WD's on the farm. And, also uses them as a family across the road vehicle.
          If they will stand up to him they can survive anything. A great guy. But, he expects mile upon mile without maintaining his rides.

Comment

Most "wheelers" would scoff and scorn me for taking the biggest SUV ever made off road. I wouldn't be surprised to find that the FJ in stock form, is every bit as good on a trail as a stock, similar model Wrangler. People love Wranglers because of the tiny wheel base and relative stability of the vehicle. The FJ looks to be pretty close in both areas, to me.

I do not take mine bogging, mostly because a vehicle weighing 8000lb tends to sink rapidly in the deep stuff. However, I am not afraid to plow through a bog on a trail for fun or necessity. Momentum and seat belts are wonderful things, haha.

Rocks, and any type of technical off-roading are all about picking the best spots to place your tires, knowing the tipping point of your vehicle, and overall ground clearance.

There are tons of great trails around here where one could take a nice truck and not scratch it up.

BTW... this thread has been totally hijacked. Maybe we should move this convo to a new thread?
            Last edited by immortal_ben; 10-13-2011, 11:03 AM.

Life is a verb.

Comment

Originally posted by immortal_ben View Post
              Most "wheelers" would scoff and scorn me for taking the biggest SUV ever made off road. I wouldn't be surprised to find that the FJ in stock form, is every bit as good on a trail as a stock, similar model Wrangler. People love Wranglers because of the tiny wheel base and relative stability of the vehicle. The FJ looks to be pretty close in both areas, to me.

I do not take mine bogging, mostly because a vehicle weighing 8000lb tends to sink rapidly in the deep stuff. However, I am not afraid to plow through a bog on a trail for fun or necessity. Momentum and seat belts are wonderful things, haha.

Rocks, and any type of technical off-roading are all about picking the best spots to place your tires, knowing the tipping point of your vehicle, and overall ground clearance.

There are tons of great trails around here where one could take a nice truck and not scratch it up.

BTW... this thread has been totally hijacked. Maybe we should move this convo to a new thread?
              Good idea about moving the thread. Maybe to something like "off-road vehicles & camping". Might end up being a pretty good discussion forum to disseminate good ideas and suggestions.

Comment

The only part of the forum I can think of to put this discussion in is "Off Topic", so I will start one there.

Life is a verb.

Comment

Hi- Looking forward to hearing about your trip to the 4 corners! I have spent many weeks in that area and had tried to respond to your post before you left! I hope you were able to check out Navajo National Monument (much less travelled than Monument Valley, and very different). Bluff, UT, a little over 45 miles north of Monument Valley is a favorite town w/lots of great petroglyphs and history. Anyway, I'm still trying to understand the in's and out's of the forum, and I guess I don't have rights to post in the area where you started that thread.
                  Campnkt

Comment

• Re: Over Donner Pass

Campnkt, your first six posts or threads are moderated then after that you are pretty much golden and can post without interruption(moderation). Presently, this last post was your fourth post. So only two more to go. The moderation period allows the mod or site admin to keep spammers and trolls out. Once in a blue moon, a spammer who thinks their slick can get by but are eventually found out and are banned for life. Another way to be banned is flaming.

BTW: your comment was great, thanks for sharing!
                    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Thanks for your quick reply! I did read about this policy in the "getting started" information, but I guess I was confused as to how/where I could do the first six posts. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

Campnkt

Comment

[QUOTE=flyfishexpert;14026]^^^ Nice bike!!
                        For now we use our '98 4Runner

Nice to see you here!!! Lost your stickers?... :-)))

Nice Forum, always learning something...

So for 5 years this has been our vehicle...

..and now we have an addition!

so this is how we will live on the road. Of course I have issues driving being a purist Motorcyclist, but we will mix it up, it got a little rough out there at times, this was a good opportunity, it is kind of nice!!!

Be well... Ara and Spirit
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Gang,
                          I run around the western US in a 1996 Chevy Silverado 4X4 K1500. It has 151,000 miles on it, just breaking her in .... lol. I have had it since it was new in '96. Great truck.
                          Attached Files
                          Ride the Rails,
                          Trainman

Comment

• Re: another one of my sweet rides

Looks good to me! Thanks for sharing!
                            Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                            Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I usually use this, only with more bags...

But if it's a "business trip", I use my classic 40-mpg Honda.

They had me at the very outer edge of the vendor's area, but it was on the path to the Port-a-Johns, so I had lots of traffic.
                              Sleep bug free!
                              www.BreezyBrigade.com

Comment

Hahahhahahaah!

Life is a verb.

Comment

Working...
                                X