Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Backpacking

Originally posted by sanusense View Post
    I went hammock camping around late October in Olympic National Park in Northwest Washington.
    Got any pictures from the trip? I'm figuring the more pictures I see from out west, the more I'll want to finally get my butt out there to see it for myself.

Comment

Sorry I am late thread so I apologize if I missed this. Is there a reason that you don't use hammock straps? It makes finding the right trees easier and won't damage tree bark the same way paracord does.

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
      Tried the hammock thing but found that abou half the time trees that are the right distances apart can be hard to find...Finally started carrying a couple of pieces of nylon tube strap to extend the hammock ropes... eventually decided that a ground sheet and pad was better for me (a personal preference largely because trees in the desert can be nonexistent; everyone can expect to be different).

pinecreekadventures.com

Comment

can you explain it

Comment

One would think that in the Rocky mountains there would be lots of trees spaced approximately right for a hammock; . In my experience this is often not so. I started carrying a (hank of tubular webbing after talking to some SAR (Search and Rescue) guys around the campfire (off duty) and their opinion was that the tubing was strong enough for the weight and it mostly eliminated rope for rigging; I tried it and it works well. After trying them I still don't use hammocks though, basically because I, now, prefer tents... apparently there are two kinds of people; those that are in love with hammocks and others that are not.

There are as many ways to camp as there are people; do what works best for you.

Enjoy!
          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
          Ground tents work best for me, so far.
          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
            One would think that in the Rocky mountains there would be lots of trees spaced approximately right for a hammock; . In my experience this is often not so. I started carrying a (hank of tubular webbing after talking to some SAR (Search and Rescue) guys around the campfire (off duty) and their opinion was that the tubing was strong enough for the weight and it mostly eliminated rope for rigging; I tried it and it works well. After trying them I still don't use hammocks though, basically because I, now, prefer tents... apparently there are two kinds of people; those that are in love with hammocks and others that are not.

There are as many ways to camp as there are people; do what works best for you.

Enjoy!
            I know a lot of people will ignore this and it is impossible to inforce in the back country. Many places in the Rockies it is prohibited to attach any thing to the trees. The trees are being attacked buy different Borers and attaching to the trees damages the bark. The last time we were there the authorities were called because a guy insisted on using his hammock.

Comment

That's the case around here also. Too much damage done to trees by people hanging things on them so it's not allowed in many areas.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Working...
              X