Backpacking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backpacking

Just curious. Do we have any experienced backpackers here?
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Re: Backpacking

Define experienced
    i backpack in ny and pa

Comment

When I had two good knees and the arthritis wasn't kicking my a$$, I'd done a fair share of backpacking.

Comment

Once upon a time, before the knees went,
        ...Back in the (20th century) stone ages; I too used to enjoy backpacking.

Any more; short day hikes, from base camp, are about all that I can manage.

Enjoy!
        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
        Ground tents work best for me, so far.
        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

When I was in 5th grade, my class went on a camping trip. We had to hike down the large hill with backpacks and then hike back up.

Then in 6th grade, I went on the same trip for our 6th grade camping trip.

Those are the only backpacking I ever did and I never had the desire to backpack again. I did enjoy the camping portion.
          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I eventually figured out the the enjoyment of backpacking (backpack camping) is inversely proportional to the weight of the pack (after I got out of the incredibly heavy REI framed backpack; I really started to look forward to camping!)...
            Go light! There is really no comparison...
            The tippy-go hungry Sierra cup was the first piece of backpacking gear disposed of (GOOD RIDDANCE!!!... don't even consider getting one! Anything is better!)
            Up through last year I still used the Svea 123R stove that I bought for backpacking in the 1970s... (still works better than most stoves).
            The light weight Svensaw still rides in one of the vehicles for cutting up firewood... (a duplicate rides in the other vehicle).
            The munchie/sandwich belt pouch/bag still makes an occasional appearance on day-hikes...
            The light weight alloy (ex German police) HK-4 .380 now lives only in the gun safe... Its holster now contains a stainless Colt officers model .45.
            The Bucklite folder that replaced the old heavy brass and wood Buck folder is still in the camping gear pile (might even have made it into the current cook kit).
            The lightweight nylon tarp, used in place of a tent, disintegrated decades ago...
            The rubberized military poncho is still around, somewhere...
            A wide brimmed hat still works as a sun shield, and medium to light weight Breathable; NOT waterproof, NOT membrane lined, hiking boots are still my footwear of choice.

Enjoy!
            Last edited by Happy Joe; 07-30-2019, 07:21 AM.
            2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
            For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
            Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

as HJ mentioned weight is a major factor,
              there are some people that can haul 50-70 lb packs for 10-20 miles a day for a week
              i am not one of those,
              once my pack gets in +30 lb range i am lucky to cover 5 miles
              20-30 lb pack is my preffered weight where i can cover 5-10 miles a day,
              to cut weight, there are lots of tactics, tarp and hammock is one i use,
              recently ditched synthetic sleeping bag for down and jungle blanket
              1 cooking pot which i also use as my bowl,
              i carry a waterfilter so less water to carry,
              Used to rely on campfires and twig stoves started using light weight canister stoves, makes for quick and easy meals
              food weight is a major factor, i dehydrate all i can, and use knorr dry meals for most of my meals,
              1-2 lbs of food per day per person quickly adds up
              how one backpacks also determines what/how they pack,
              hiking to 1 location and using that 1 site as your campsite will be different than packing up and moving everyday,
              may tolerate more weight to get to that destination so have more comfort items while there

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
                Define experienced
                i backpack in ny and pa
                I don't know. Anyone that has been once has more experience then me. I would say you qualify. Any advice for a newbie? Things you consider must have or a waste of money? Trail etiquette or rules. Stories. Etc.
                “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                  I eventually figured out the the enjoyment of backpacking (backpack camping) is inversely proportional to the weight of the pack (after I got out of the incredibly heavy REI framed backpack; I really started to look forward to camping!)...
                  Go light! There is really no comparison...
                  The tippy-go hungry Sierra cup was the first piece of backpacking gear disposed of (GOOD RIDDANCE!!!... don't even consider getting one! Anything is better!)
                  Up through last year I still used the Svea 123R stove that I bought for backpacking in the 1970s... (still works better than most stoves).
                  The light weight Svensaw still rides in one of the vehicles for cutting up firewood... (a duplicate rides in the other vehicle).
                  The munchie/sandwich belt pouch/bag still makes an occasional appearance on day-hikes...
                  The light weight alloy (ex German police) HK-4 .380 now lives only in the gun safe... Its holster now contains a stainless Colt officers model .45.
                  The Bucklite folder that replaced the old heavy brass and wood Buck folder is still in the camping gear pile (might even have made it into the current cook kit).
                  The lightweight nylon tarp, used in place of a tent, disintegrated decades ago...
                  The rubberized military poncho is still around, somewhere...
                  A wide brimmed hat still works as a sun shield, and medium to light weight Breathable; NOT waterproof, NOT membrane lined, hiking boots are still my footwear of choice.

Enjoy!
                  Originally posted by terasec View Post
                  as HJ mentioned weight is a major factor,
                  there are some people that can haul 50-70 lb packs for 10-20 miles a day for a week
                  i am not one of those,
                  once my pack gets in +30 lb range i am lucky to cover 5 miles
                  20-30 lb pack is my preffered weight where i can cover 5-10 miles a day,
                  to cut weight, there are lots of tactics, tarp and hammock is one i use,
                  recently ditched synthetic sleeping bag for down and jungle blanket
                  1 cooking pot which i also use as my bowl,
                  i carry a waterfilter so less water to carry,
                  Used to rely on campfires and twig stoves started using light weight canister stoves, makes for quick and easy meals
                  food weight is a major factor, i dehydrate all i can, and use knorr dry meals for most of my meals,
                  1-2 lbs of food per day per person quickly adds up
                  how one backpacks also determines what/how they pack,
                  hiking to 1 location and using that 1 site as your campsite will be different than packing up and moving everyday,
                  may tolerate more weight to get to that destination so have more comfort items while there
                  Ok, I used to listen to a backpacking podcast called The First 40 Miles. It was geared toward beginner backpackers. I might even go back and listen to them again as I thought at the time that they were very informative even though I didn't think I was ever going to get into backpacking....just one of those things you think sound like fun but know you will never get around to trying.

Anyway, I figured that lighter is better. I bought a Camelbak Francona 24 for the bike trip with my brother and now wish I had gone for something a little bigger. It might be servicable for shorter trips IF i can figure a good way to attach my sleeping bag. I fell in love with hammock camping on the bike trip and that will most likely be my preferred choice even when car camping going forward. I got a rain fly that, with some trekking poles, should work as a ground shelter if I cannot use the hammock.

I still need to get a stove and mess kit and I figure a water filter is a good way to go for the same reason as terasec, less water to carry. However I am worried about the taste as my wife has turned me into a water snob and now I can't even drink tap water. I figure the powdered crystal light mix (or something like it) will solve that problem but don't know if it is going to cause other problems. Suggestions on water filters are also welcome.

Is taking a gun a bad idea? I am not a big fan of them but acknowledge there is something to be said for the safety of them. Is it worth the extra weight?

What about clothing? I have moisture wicking shirts but usually wear cotton boxers and cargo shorts. My brother told me to wear basketball shorts and I bought some moisture wicking boxer briefs for our bike trip and they worked out ok. Is that what I should be going with while hiking?

Lots of questions but it is because I am REALLY excited about the prospect of my first hiking trip. I have already started looking on All Trails for places to go for my first trip. There are some good out and back trails and a couple of loops that I have saved. I figure an overnight is good for the first trip and am not going to figure on more then 12 miles total. I walk all day at work without problem and don't think the pack is going to kill me but am figuring on 5-7miles a day to be safe.

I really appreciate the input.
                  – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                    Ok, I used to listen to a backpacking podcast called The First 40 Miles. It was geared toward beginner backpackers. I might even go back and listen to them again as I thought at the time that they were very informative even though I didn't think I was ever going to get into backpacking....just one of those things you think sound like fun but know you will never get around to trying.

Anyway, I figured that lighter is better. I bought a Camelbak Francona 24 for the bike trip with my brother and now wish I had gone for something a little bigger. It might be servicable for shorter trips IF i can figure a good way to attach my sleeping bag. I fell in love with hammock camping on the bike trip and that will most likely be my preferred choice even when car camping going forward. I got a rain fly that, with some trekking poles, should work as a ground shelter if I cannot use the hammock.

I still need to get a stove and mess kit and I figure a water filter is a good way to go for the same reason as terasec, less water to carry. However I am worried about the taste as my wife has turned me into a water snob and now I can't even drink tap water. I figure the powdered crystal light mix (or something like it) will solve that problem but don't know if it is going to cause other problems. Suggestions on water filters are also welcome.

Is taking a gun a bad idea? I am not a big fan of them but acknowledge there is something to be said for the safety of them. Is it worth the extra weight?

What about clothing? I have moisture wicking shirts but usually wear cotton boxers and cargo shorts. My brother told me to wear basketball shorts and I bought some moisture wicking boxer briefs for our bike trip and they worked out ok. Is that what I should be going with while hiking?

Lots of questions but it is because I am REALLY excited about the prospect of my first hiking trip. I have already started looking on All Trails for places to go for my first trip. There are some good out and back trails and a couple of loops that I have saved. I figure an overnight is good for the first trip and am not going to figure on more then 12 miles total. I walk all day at work without problem and don't think the pack is going to kill me but am figuring on 5-7miles a day to be safe.

for water filter lots of options today from slow drip to faster pump
                    I use a katadyn hiker pro pump filter, its about the size/weight of a soda can, taste never bothered me,
                    instead of crystal lite type of additive would consider electrolyte additive like a Gatorade powder,
                    whether to carry or not, personal choice, check laws/regs,
                    my opinion on the matter is if your already a ccw gun owner go for it,
                    if not consider it carefully, to me a lot of responsibility comes with gun ownership, don't believe its something that should be obtained/carried just for hiking,
                    if your a gun owner its more of a lifestyle,
                    clothing again personal, and my choice in northeast would be different than your AZ choice,
                    I like synthetics, such as synthetic fishing shirts and synthetic Tshirts
                    shorts/long pants, AZ whether probably better off with shorts, would go with something more durable than basketball shorts though, depending on trail can be some rough going whether sitting, bushwacking off trail, just see BB shorts getting snagged and tearing easily
                    past year or so I've been really liking wrangler brand outdoor series pants, $20 in most stores like target,
                    after trying 1 pair I went back and bought every color/style they had, great pants
                    for distance, hiking with a pack is different than everyday hike, depending on trail and weight it can dramatically slash miles you can cover
                    before your trip I would start carrying a heavier daypack even on short day trips
                    when hiking with my son on 5 mile day trips I load up my day pack with more than I need just to get accustomed to the extra weight
                    day trip where I would normally carry 5-10 lbs, I will carry 10-20 lbs instead, can even load it with rocks, if you find pack too heavy for comfort after 1-2 miles can dump some rocks
                    for the backpack, its doable, takes most people a bit of tweaking of gear to get comfortable overnight kit into 24l pack,
                    I see the pack has bottom straps, if you cant force your sleeping bag into bottom straps consider tying up the bag with cordage and securing it to the bottom strap, I did that to a friends jansport years ago when he was hand carrying his sleeping bag, worked just fine

Comment

I don't know. Anyone that has been once has more experience then me. I would say you qualify. Any advice for a newbie? Things you consider must have or a waste of money? Trail etiquette or rules. Stories. Etc.
                      my advise is get out there and enjoy,
                      safety first, good shoes/socks, take care of foot issues before they become a problem
                      think more people cut their trips short due to foot problems more so than anything else, take care of hotspots on the foot before it blisters, learn how to properly bandage a blister
                      I just about gave up on hiking boots and now mostly use hiking shoes and sneakers,
                      people spend there whole lives tweaking their gear,
                      I started out a s teen, lived in NYC, but had an itch to get out and explore, used to go to port authority bus terminal and take any bus that passed by a patch a green and would ask the driver if he knew any places to let me off near trails,
                      didn't have any store bought gear, my school bag, blanket from home, snacks for food, a bottle of soda(whatever parents had in the kitchen) jeans sneakers, and that was it,
                      later on starting accumulating more and more gear, then about 15 yrs ago had all my gear stolen from storage, past 15 years or so didn't want to be tied to my gear anymore so went back to minimal camping, cheap stuff from Walmart/thrift stores, etc, just the basics nothing specialized, now with son in scouts and doing more camping with my son am becoming a gear hog again, 5 sleeping bags 5 tents, knives out the wazoo, etc...
                      I am still struggling with myself over how to camp, sometimes its minimal sometimes car is loaded to the max and will decide at the trailhead what I am carrying
                      there is no right or wrong way, just get out and enjoy

Comment

Re: guns, IMO the weight and hassle limits their inclusion to the more "civilized" areas; I started carrying while camping when a crack/crank head walked into camp from a totally unexpected direction. When camping in areas where there are no homeless or druggies, I normally do not feel the need to carry. (Be aware that national parks and forests seem to be more and more crowded with undesirables . I keep a can of bear spray for this sort of situation.
                        https://www.nps.gov/grca/learn/manag...arks2-2010.pdf

For clothing I prefer soft cotton; for some years there were a lot of cotton haters around , spewing disinformation like "cotton Kills",, its mostly B.S. wear airy comfortable clothing. and well broken in boots or shoes... you will normally see me in a cotton short sleeved shirt or long sleeved flannel and bluejeans. (along with a wide brimmed hat for portable shade).... basically work clothes.
                        Check out the weather forecast for the area at least the night before.
                        Bring a, water proof, poncho or rain jacket; some are not (its a personal preference thing).
                        Layer your clothing for more options.
                        Be aware that, especially in the mountains, the weather can change seasons in a few minutes (be prepared for it)... some years ago several acquaintances died in the snow during an April/May storm.

Learn to treat blisters while they are still hot spots and carry a small re-rolled roll of duct tape.

IMO: don't set a must achieve agenda or number of miles; stay flexible and enjoy the world, scenery and wild life....

Google the area that you intend to hike and check it out in satellite view... realize that google and gps info can be wrong...

Enjoy!
                        Last edited by Happy Joe; 08-02-2019, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Terasec wrapped that up very well. The only thing I'll add is to emphasize the need for good foot care. Whatever you wear on your feet has to fit as perfectly as possible because you'd be surprised how quickly you can raise a blister when hiking. And, take it from me - moleskin can be a godsend on the trail. A shoe or boot that rubs the tiniest bit can turn into real pain if you don't have some way to pad it out.
                          Last edited by MacGyver; 08-01-2019, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Back when I did my two trips, the advice of the day was to wear nylon knee highs under your socks. They were supposed to help prevent blisters.
                            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                              Back when I did my two trips, the advice of the day was to wear nylon knee highs under your socks. They were supposed to help prevent blisters.
                              Slippery under socks definitely help...

Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                              X