Backpacking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Backpacking

They did do that... idaho falls has a couple dehydrated potato soups - one with bacon.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
      They did do that... idaho falls has a couple dehydrated potato soups - one with bacon.
      I am assuming it is good or you wouldn't have mentioned it....but does it compare to the old Bear Creek? Just curious.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

It's good, but it's not as good as the old Bear Creek.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
          How are the Knorr meals on taste?
          they are ok, my son likes the alfredo,
          I have no complaints on taste, they are what they are,
          I like that they have long expiration dates so can store them for 1-2 years, have a few stocked in various kits wo always available for an outing,
          sometimes can just be a day hike and have my stove and a meal packed in the car already
          only gripe is at dollar store there are limited flavors for $1 so tend to get tired of same meals
          supermarkets will have more selection but not at $1,

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
            they are ok, my son likes the alfredo,
            I have no complaints on taste, they are what they are,
            I like that they have long expiration dates so can store them for 1-2 years, have a few stocked in various kits wo always available for an outing,
            sometimes can just be a day hike and have my stove and a meal packed in the car already
            only gripe is at dollar store there are limited flavors for $1 so tend to get tired of same meals
            supermarkets will have more selection but not at $1,
            I saw a guy talking about them on a youtube video saying that they were good. My wife looked them up and said they were under a dollar at Walmart, but maybe she was looking at something different.
            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
            – E. B. White

Comment

I've been buying flavored instant potato packets at dollar stores and regular grocery stores when they go on sale. Nice because you don't need butter or milk to fix 'em. Not really the best option for solo campers because each packet makes a TON of spuds, but they are cheap enough that if some has to hit the fire when you're done stuffing your face... oh well...

Last edited by MacGyver; 08-14-2019, 05:40 AM.

Comment

Great... Now I'm craving mashed potatoes and the fake cauliflower stuff I bought ain't gonna cut it.

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                  Great... Now I'm craving mashed potatoes and the fake cauliflower stuff I bought ain't gonna cut it.
                  If you're like me, you'll find that the Four Cheese isn't all that cheesy. (Could just be my palate, or lack thereof) But the Baby Reds and Loaded Baked kick butt.
                  Last edited by MacGyver; 08-14-2019, 08:21 PM.

Comment

James, you can also buy cooked rice in individual packets. You can buy the seasoned one and ad a packet of tuna or chicken.

Comment

Originally posted by Denni2 View Post
                      James, you can also buy cooked rice in individual packets. You can buy the seasoned one and ad a packet of tuna or chicken.
                      A few of you have mentioned chicken or tuna packets. I am assuming they do not need to be refrigerated. Is that correct? I have also read a lot about cheese...but how long can it last without refrigeration?
                      – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                        A few of you have mentioned chicken or tuna packets. I am assuming they do not need to be refrigerated. Is that correct? I have also read a lot about cheese...but how long can it last without refrigeration?
                        they do sell tuna packets in most stores that don't require refrigeration, same section they sell tuna cans in
                        same idea as tuna cans just less waste/packaging to carry
                        as for cheese, hard cheeses like cheddar is fine , even harder cheese like parmesian, romano, dry provolone, etc lasts for days at a time in most temps,
                        edges may dry out a little but still safe and fine, just make sure they are in blocks, not shredded or sliced
                        cut what you need as you need it,
                        even if outer edges dry out more than what your comfortable with, cut off the edges and interior is just fine
                        never had no problem hard cheese lasting 3-5 days during summer with 90 degree temps,

I add cheese to many bland meals to kick it up

Comment

You can buy tuna and chicken in foil packets that are shelf stable. It is with the cans. I believe the hard cheeses do not need refrigerated.
                          We don’t care for salt so I purchase some of their items and use them in recipes to save cooler room.
                          You can get shelf stable items at https://www.packitgourmet.com/Grocery.html

Another thing my husband likes is Pita pizza. We purchase the tomato paste in a tube (you get it wit the caned) and spread it on the pita you can add pepperoni and Parmesan cheese or anything you like.

Sorry about all the random suggestions. We are getting ready for a 2 week trip and I am meal planning.

Comment

Originally posted by Denni2 View Post
                            You can buy tuna and chicken in foil packets that are shelf stable. It is with the cans. I believe the hard cheeses do not need refrigerated.
                            We don’t care for salt so I purchase some of their items and use them in recipes to save cooler room.
                            You can get shelf stable items at https://www.packitgourmet.com/Grocery.html

Another thing my husband likes is Pita pizza. We purchase the tomato paste in a tube (you get it wit the caned) and spread it on the pita you can add pepperoni and Parmesan cheese or anything you like.

Sorry about all the random suggestions. We are getting ready for a 2 week trip and I am meal planning.
                            No, its good and I appreciate it.
                            – E. B. White

Comment

I don't know if I posted this but what I would like to do is figure out a way to attach my sleeping bag to my Camelbak Franconia 24 and do my first trip with that. I don't think it is really designed for it but I don't want to drop a couple hundred on a backpack and then decide that backpacking sucks. Is there some nifty way to do that or am I going to have to blaze that trail on my own?
                              – E. B. White

Comment

I used a WWII surplus cargo pack frame with a Viet Nam period Alice pack on it for my backpacking. The commercial packs of the time were better no doubt, but I forged on and had a blast.

Have you looked around your area to see if backpacks are available to rent? Getting a quality pack may help get into the sport in a less painful way (financially and otherwise).

Ive also found high quality used packs (day packs and medium sized packs) at thrift stores for very reasonable prices.

Edit: I have an old school Jansport external frame pack from the late 70s I suppose, it was a friends pack when he was younger. I never ended up doing any more backpacking after I bought it from him, its been in storage for ages. If you were closer Id give it to you to try. :(
                                Last edited by Malamute; 08-20-2019, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X