Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camping gear; what changes/new or desires do you want/need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camping gear; what changes/new or desires do you want/need?

Have you tried any of their breakfasts yet? I found those are a great warm way to start the morning.

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
    I always have a night of Mountain House meals from time to time...especially during colder and our set-up night. We make it either a taste test night or fall back on our favorites.

[Pine Creek Adventures](https://www.pinecreekadventures.com/)
    [Instagram](https://www.instagram.com/pinecreekadventures/?hl=en)

Comment

Originally posted by Pine Creek Adventures View Post
      Have you tried any of their breakfasts yet? I found those are a great warm way to start the morning.
      I normally start off with cup of coffee and either a sweet roll or a toasted peanut butter sandwich...(note to self; figure out a better way to make toast camping than by pan frying the bread...)

Enjoy!
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Pine Creek Adventures View Post
        I've tried their breakfasts but didn't like 'em much. Fortunately for me, breakfast for me doesn't have to be typical breakfast food. I have no problem starting the day with something like their beef stroganoff.

Since I've been elsewhere for a while, here's an update on me and Mountain House. I refuse to pay their prices anymore. I guess it's typical, but they've upped their prices and decreased their portions. They were always crazy high priced but I just can't justify it anymore. I'll miss the convenience, but it's back to cooking my own food - for WAY less money.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
          ...figure out a better way to make toast camping than by pan frying the bread
          Got a catalytic heater and a pair of tongs?

Comment

I just use the coleman stand on the stove top. Works great and is basically exactly how folks did it before electric toasters... saw a 90-something year old lady on a Johnny Carson rerun from the early 80's bring on out she found at a garage sale.

unless you went to a toast party - they used the long handled cage style over a campfire. I know that from the Maudie books (Men Are Like Streetcars) from the 20s.
            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
              I just use the coleman stand on the stove top.
              I had one of those Coleman toasters. Never could get an even toast with it, The bottom burned, leaving the top barely done. I think it's because it's too open with all the radiant heat only at the bottom, unlike the vintage style I think you're talking about. If it wasn't so bulky (and I didn't fear damaging it), I'd take out this one:

Comment

That's the vintage. I like those a lot, but the coleman is more compact.

I flip my bread halfway through so the "top outside" becomes the "bottom inside". That seems to work for me - but I'm using my camper's stove, so I may have more control of the flame than with other options.
                “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally Posted by toedtoes
                  I just use the coleman stand on the stove top.

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                  I had one of those Coleman toasters. Never could get an even toast with it, The bottom burned, leaving the top barely done. I think it's because it's too open with all the radiant heat only at the bottom, unlike the vintage style I think you're talking about. If it wasn't so bulky (and I didn't fear damaging it), I'd take out this one:

Yep! I too have never gotten good results from them (they do work better than a hotdog fork to toast bread though)... they have been around for 100 years or more.
                  have tried the folding grid thing too, as well as a pie iron.Electric toasters have definitely spoiled me.

So far I get the best results from pan frying bread to make toast camping (I already carry a fry pan, no extra gear); Its ok though a bit over buttered.

Enjoy!
                  2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                  For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                  Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

We discovered the Omnia Oven. It is really great on the stovetop. We use it on both the Coleman outside and the stove in the camper. It is so much better than the Colman folding oven.

Comment

Originally posted by Denni2 View Post
                      We discovered the Omnia Oven. It is really great on the stovetop. We use it on both the Coleman outside and the stove in the camper. It is so much better than the Colman folding oven.

I checked out their site
                      https://www.omniasweden.com/us/

It looks compact and promising; 'way smaller (8" diameter according to their site) and lighter than my old dutch oven.

Enjoy!
                      Last edited by Happy Joe; 12-13-2020, 06:10 AM. Reason: added diameter

Comment

I wish they'd have a stainless steel version, but I still see me getting one eventually.
                        Edit to add: And why no package deals!
                        Last edited by MacGyver; 12-13-2020, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                          I wish they'd have a stainless steel version, but I still see me getting one eventually.
                          Edit to add: And why no package deals!
                          I think the base is stainless... I'll bet the rest is aluminum (as a weight reduction strategy).

I wonder if the top flips over to nest in the next layer down for compactness...
                          Looks like a good item to get a customer return price on from Amazon... Bet a few get returned without being used after the holiday.

Enjoy!

Comment

The Oven stacks compact in the lid. I recommend the grate. I won’t spend money on the other accessories. I seasoned it when I first received it and nothing has stick yet. It is expensive. I believe it is because there’s not a lot of competition.

Comment

My ultimate goal one day will be a truck camper like a Four Wheel Camper or a Kimbo.

In the meantime Im truck tent camping. For those not familiar its the one that goes in the back of the truck. I have been gradually replacing old equipment I had or lost through the years. I am currently using my grandfathers Coleman camp stove from the 60's . It works ok but is a lot of work. Ive been thinking of adding or upgrading to a back pack JetBoil or something similar. Thoughts ?

Comment

Working...
                              X