Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camping gear; what changes/new or desires do you want/need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camping gear; what changes/new or desires do you want/need?

I read the Amazon reviews and watched a few YouTube videos on it. And i understand the fire ban issues, we were in one all summer. I think it will be a keeper
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

An acquaintance of a friend showed up with one of those ovens one year; seemed to work OK although they could only cook 1/2 of a frozen pizza at a time per shelf, in the oven...
      (Better than no pizza at all, IMO)...

Enjoy!
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

They were doing it wrong. No frozen pizza... Boboli individual pizzas. Everyone makes their own.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
          They were doing it wrong. No frozen pizza... Boboli individual pizzas. Everyone makes their own.
          I've done those (and some store brands in a thinner crust) and they are pretty tasty. Small sized crusts. Cooked in the Coleman pop-up oven on a stone. Pizzas made with pre-made crusts like Boboli really just need the cheese melted and toppings cooked/hot to be good fun camp food. I've done same style pre-made small crusts over the fire/coals/grate using my small 8" circle pizza stone and wrapping the stone (and prepared pizza) in HD aluminum foil creating a tent above the pizza and an open "side" (think open door teepee). Put on grate over coals (I don't put on coals...afraid stone might crack). When done, I just use a large metal spatula to slide under everything to remove.

In my part of the world, Totinos frozen pizzas (about $1.25/each lol) are a perfect small toaster oven size rectangle. They work great in the Coleman pop-up oven also. I would imagine these would fit great in the CampChef. ps...my boy also likes Totinos pizza rolls which we've also done in the Coleman....they're alright/good for camp....but gotta watch those things...little pockets of hot lava coming right out of the oven.
          Last edited by a65hoosier; 11-04-2018, 02:45 PM.
          2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
          Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
          Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
          Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I need to go camping with you guys. I hate cooking when I'm camping. On solo trips, it's just about all Chef Mountain House. Maybe a hotdog over the fire if I feel like it. In groups, I'm a mooch. Got two couples who bring their Camp Chef stoves and don't hesitate to cook up all kinds of goodies.

Comment

Camping is the only time I cook for the most part. At home, it's a chore I 'm trying to fit into a busy day. At camp, it's a treat.

And all this talk of food has to stop... I'm not allowed to eat today (scope tomorrow morning) and all I can think of it food.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                I need to go camping with you guys. I hate cooking when I'm camping. On solo trips, it's just about all Chef Mountain House. Maybe a hotdog over the fire if I feel like it. In groups, I'm a mooch. Got two couples who bring their Camp Chef stoves and don't hesitate to cook up all kinds of goodies.
                I always have a night of Mountain House meals from time to time...especially during colder and our set-up night. We make it either a taste test night or fall back on our favorites. Easy to cook up...no clean-up. oh...and hot dogs or Italian Sausage/Brats over the fire are excellent.

Camping is the only time I cook for the most part. At home, it's a chore I 'm trying to fit into a busy day. At camp, it's a treat.

And all this talk of food has to stop... I'm not allowed to eat today (scope tomorrow morning) and all I can think of it food.
                Yes. And sorry. I enjoy eating well at camp....it is a fun treat. And everything tastes better outdoors. We're leaving in 2 weeks for a long camp weekend and we are already planning "what should we cook/eat?". lol
                Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

That's what we do. She likes different things than i do, so the personal pan size is awesome i also picked up a calzone press that allows you to do the same

The mountain house breakfast skillet is usually what i do for breakfast, my daughter isn't a breakfast person yet. Or something on the first night due to travel and set up time. Those meals make sense.

Comment

OK. I am off my starvation so the food talk can resume!!

My favorite thing to cook in the oven is cookies. Winter trip, curled up after dark in a plush warm throw, relaxed on the couch with a good book on the kindle, lights out so we can see any critters coming round, Bat-dog and Moose-dog cuddled up next to me, and hot caramel hot cocoa and fresh baked hot chocolate chip cookies...

Comment

OK. I am off my starvation so the food talk can resume!!

My favorite thing to cook in the oven is cookies. Winter trip, curled up after dark in a plush warm throw, relaxed on the couch with a good book on the kindle, lights out so we can see any critters coming round, Bat-dog and Moose-dog cuddled up next to me, and hot caramel hot cocoa and fresh baked hot chocolate chip cookies...

Surprisingly, I haven't done cookies in the Coleman oven. Biscuits, muffins, cinn rolls...yes. I'm not sure why not cookies...kinda doing the head scratch here...lol. I guess I might have to add a tube of those cut and bakes with me and give it a try. I really don't like using the Coleman when it gets cold cold (like now....or soon now here in IN). It takes forever to heat up and hard to maintain temp if wind is blowing (and I cover "vents" loosely with foil attempting to minimize heat loss to a cold wind). However....cookies are probably fairly fail safe and forgiving. Gooey or crunchy...it's a cookie!

sigpic

Comment

I prefer the Nestles Tollhouse cookies. They are real chocolate. You can get the slice and bake or the pre sliced.

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
                          Surprisingly, I haven't done cookies in the Coleman oven. Biscuits, muffins, cinn rolls...yes. I'm not sure why not cookies...kinda doing the head scratch here...lol. I guess I might have to add a tube of those cut and bakes with me and give it a try. I really don't like using the Coleman when it gets cold cold (like now....or soon now here in IN). It takes forever to heat up and hard to maintain temp if wind is blowing (and I cover "vents" loosely with foil attempting to minimize heat loss to a cold wind). However....cookies are probably fairly fail safe and forgiving. Gooey or crunchy...it's a cookie!
                          I just saw this video on YouTube. They put a stone tile in the bottom of their oven and made a cover from a welding blanket to hold in the heat.

https://youtu.be/5fyI1E6iNwE

Comment

Originally posted by Denni2 View Post
                            I just saw this video on YouTube. They put a stone tile in the bottom of their oven and made a cover from a welding blanket to hold in the heat.
                            I use a stone in my oven (I only got my oven a couple months ago so I haven't used it much). I just bought some welding torch material to make my own blanket. Thanks for posting that video.

Comment

I like!...
                              ...received the JBL flip 4 speaker (more compact camp tunes) works fine in the computer room with tunes on my phone routed over Bluetooth to the JBL.. not sure yet if its going to be loud enough outdoors in the woods... (not looking for concert level sound want just enough for, occasional, background party music, tunes around the fire or in the tent)...

Made a trip to Harbor Freight and got a hard case (another apache 3800, total of 3 now) to pack the speaker (and some other stuff) in the vehicle...

Enjoy!
                              Last edited by Happy Joe; 11-07-2018, 12:22 PM.
                              2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                              For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                              Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                              Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I ordered a telescopic flag pole and solar light. Lights of the flag pretty good, and will make it easy to find my camper in the campground. I kind of like it.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	2CEC1BBA-3A74-45EC-BA19-7B82717FEB29.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	71109Click image for larger version

Name:	34D4C1EF-3D28-468C-8B6F-1B619461A0B9.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	71110

Comment