Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camping gear; what changes/new or desires do you want/need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping gear; what changes/new or desires do you want/need?

Well, the camping season is basically done for me (getting too old for winter camping), the Jeep has been put to bed for the winter, and its nearing Santa time; so its once again time to start thinking about equipment changes and improvements for next year...

I still have to figure out a headboard for the cot, to avoid chasing the pillow in the middle of the night (somehow this, like the pillow keeps falling by the wayside).

Found (ordered yesterday) a small propane generator (700 watt, Ryobi; Home depot ~$300) to recharge the tent battery (hopefully making use of the portable refrigerator practical)... It appears be noisier than most, so it may be a mixed blessing... (The increase in stuff volume means I will have to use he explorer when carrying these).

Need to keep my eyes open for the perfect sized, collapsible washbasin (the stainless bowl that I have been using is a bit on the small side).

Still need a better shaving mirror for the tent, or an acceptable support for the existing ones...

Need to fabricate a shelf over the Jeeps rear fender well to better carry the water container...

Need to pick up a grommet kit so that I can customize the ground tarp holes to line up with the tent's peg locations...

What changes/stuff are you wanting?

Enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Re: Camping gear; what changes/new or desires do you want/need?

I've come to the conclusion that I need to re-think the downsizing of all my gear. As it turns out, I just spent a bunch of money on stuff that doesn't work for me. The backpacking tables are nice, but they really aren't as sturdy as I need them to be. The smaller heater and adapter I made for it doesn't work in the small canvas tent due to the clearances it needs but isn't hot enough in the larger nylon tents. On top of that, I'm starting to realize that the years are catching up with me and hauling out all my Pelican cases isn't as easy as it used to be. So, what it comes down to, is that I need to figure out how to maintain my comfort level but get it all out to the woods in a more manageable configuration. I'll be the first to admit that I've always been one to complicate things. MacGyvering camping equipment has always been a constant process of trial and error with me - I've got a couple of bins worth of stuff I'd put together but just didn't work out. But this is the first time I'm really struggling to come up with a solution.

TL/DR
    I'm taking too much stuff out to the woods. Maybe it's time for a camper?

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
      But this is the first time I'm really struggling to come up with a solution.
      Hammock time!

Comment

Originally posted by Karla "with a k" View Post
        Hammock time!
        I went on one hammock trip which turned out to be another one of my wastes of money. Bought the ENO sleep system only to discover that it's not my thing. I don't know that you'd call it claustrophobia - I'm fine sleeping in a one person tent which some people equate to sleeping in a coffin. The hammock gave me the same feeling as sleeping in a mummy bag - something else I don't like.

Comment

Overall I find that backpacking gear is almost always too fragile for me.
          ...Gave up trying to heat the tent several years ago (although I saw a $2000 heater over at Exped. Portal that might do the job; would be a spendy experiment)...I think regularly about putting a thermostat on a Big Buddy heater.

I have gotten used to taking gear selected for the trip; when staying for a week or more I bring the; more comfortable, bigger, heavier, more trouble to setup & breakdown gear, packed in the larger vehicle.
          For quickie week enders I just bring the smaller lighter (more cramped) easier to setup & break down gear in the smaller vehicle; letting me get out on more short trips.

Every year or three, I reorganize and re evaluate, and every trip I try to figure out what (hopefully small/incremental things) would work better/make the trip more enjoyable... often my "better" ideas (i.e. shaving mirror) do not work; its an evolutionary process...

Set up and breakdown is a bigger impact each year as I grow ever more antique...

Enjoy!
          Last edited by Happy Joe; 10-29-2018, 09:40 AM.
          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I went on one hammock trip which turned out to be another one of my wastes of money. Bought the ENO sleep system only to discover that it's not my thing. I don't know that you'd call it claustrophobia - I'm fine sleeping in a one person tent which some people equate to sleeping in a coffin. The hammock gave me the same feeling as sleeping in a mummy bag - something else I don't like.

I find it's the constriction of movement more than the small space that bothers me. A small tent is just nylon and I can freely move my extremities to rip my way out. A mummy bag restricts the movement of my extremities and makes me feel very vulnerable.
            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I think when the joy of the gear no longer outweighs the process of dealing with the gear, that it's time for a camper. It wasn't the gear that stopped me camping, it was the time I had to spend dealing with that gear that stopped me.

With my clipper, I don't have to spend time moving the gear out of storage and fitting it into the vehicle just to be able to leave for a campout. I don't have to deal with moving the gear out of the vehicle and making it usable when I arrive. I don't have to deal with getting it all back into the vehicle so I can go home, and I don't have to deal with moving it all back into storage afterwards.

At the campground, I can make it as simple (don't set up anything - just use the picnic table at the campsite and cook on the stove inside) or involved (set up a screen room, chairs, outdoor cookstove, etc.) as I want. I can wait to bring out a chair until I actually feel the need. I don't have to set up anything in order to fix a meal, relax or go to bed.

With my FoldnRoll trailer, I have some necessary process - raising the roof and walls and moving pillows on the bed from the couch. But the rest can be as minmal or as involved as I want it.

That's why I keep to my main rule: if it doesn't have a permanent home in the camper, I don't need it. KISS.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                I think when the joy of the gear no longer outweighs the process of dealing with the gear, that it's time for a camper.
                Yeah - I've been kicking around the idea of a camper for several years now. I think I've mentioned it before, but I've got small list of gotta haves that make "The One" hard to find. Heat, an oven and a fixed double bed in a 20 foot and under camper isn't too common. And I refuse to consider buying anything with water damage - repaired or not. But, as it is, the biggest gear issue I have is due mostly to the fact that the only place I have to store it all is in the basement. The cases are all on wheels, so wheeling them out the door from the first floor isn't a problem. Dragging it all up and down steps is getting harder and harder. I thought about getting an enclosed trailer to store everything but a good one costs almost as much as a used camper.

I've already gone over my lists and eliminated a bit of the bulk so, after that, I'm pretty sure the solution (for now) will be more but smaller cases, carefully watching the weight of each one. And the search for a camper goes on - Craigslist and local RV sites every day!

Comment

Yeah - as it is, the biggest gear issue I have is due mostly to the fact that the only place I have to store it all is in the basement. The cases are all on wheels, so wheeling them out the door from the first floor isn't a problem. Dragging it all up and down steps is getting harder and harder. I thought about getting an enclosed trailer to store everything but a good one costs almost as much as a used camper.

I've already gone over my lists and eliminated a bit of the bulk so, after that, I'm pretty sure the solution (for now) will be more but smaller cases, carefully watching the weight of each one. And the search for a camper goes on - Craigslist and local RV sites every day!
                  My biggest consolidation, in long time was moving from 2 wallymart short (~16"x20"x6") store under the cot totes To 2 (need to get another) of the larger Harbor Freight 3800 series cases.
                  I see they are on sale right now and another larger (4800) case as been added to the series...

(...My computer seems to be wigging out right now so I am unable to post links and pics, or even type well...)

When I need to move heavy or awkward things up or down stairs I typically use the (one step less than commercial grade) hand truck... got it after a back injury...

Enjoy!

Comment

Other than the oven, you should be able to find that trailer. My FoldnRoll doesn't have an oven. But I've heard from some popup owners that the coleman stovetop oven and a pizza stone work well. I have them, but haven't tried them yet.

Lugging heavy gear around is a pain. I've been fighting with my camera gear the same way. I used to be able to fit it all in a narrow Pelican camera bag which fit perfectly on a CaliforniaInnovations cooler cart. But now the additional lenses are too wide to fit in the bag and even if they did the weight is too much to wheel around and lift up stairs, etc.

So now I have 3 sling bags of different designs and have the gear split between them. I grab one and go. It works but I miss having all my gear all the time.

Comment

I have that Ryobi 700 watt propane generator. I use it to charge the batteries on my camper. It won't run my microwave or AC, but I really don't need a microwave when I'm camping. And as far as the AC, most of my summer camping is at 8500 feet and you know you don't need much AC up there. The biggest advantage of that propane generator is, I don't have to carry any extra gasoline for the generator. I have two 20 pound tanks on the front of the camper, so I just run my Camp Chef oven, my Weber grill and the generator off one of the tanks. Works out pretty well. Not really much louder than the Honda 2000 watt inverter that my buddy has.
                      As far as the oven and a trailer under 20 foot. I don't think you're going to find it. I know I bought a Camp Chef oven that runs off propane. It also has two burners up top. I just use that for cooking outside. That way I don't get grease splatter on anything on the inside of the camper. Works out pretty well.
                      As far as switching from a tent to a camper. It's one of the best things I've done. I really didn't lose any access to my spots, I can still get the most everything. I know now it's a lot easier to go camping. I can start packing clothes, food, ATV or kayaks on Tuesday for the weekend. So when I get off work Friday it's just a hookup to the camper and go. During one camping trip this summer, we were camping with people who were in a pop-up and Tents. As me and my daughter watch the people set up tents, my daughter made a comment about how hard setting up to tent camp was. And as they were setting the pop-up camper up, she said dad even that's a lot of work. I can set my toy hauler up in about 15 minutes, then I'm relaxed anf camping when I get home, I don't have to worry about getting everything unloaded and put away. I leave stuff in the camper for the next time, and unload everything when I feel like it.
                      I don't regret going from a tent to a pop up do a hard-sided toy hauler. I think it's the best choice I've made
                      Nights camped in 2019: 24
                      Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

As far as the changes and stuff I need, I am upgrading to 2 - 12 volt batteries in parallel for more amp hours I need to put a better mattress in the Toy Hauler for myself. Maybe add an extra lawn chair for visitors. I also plan to do an axle flip for added ground clearance this winter. Maybe upgrade the tires. I haven't decided on that yet. Other than that, I don't think I'll be adding or doing much else. Hopefully I'll get to do some spur-of-the-moment winter camping trips this year.
                        Nights camped in 2019: 24
                        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                          As far as the oven and a trailer under 20 foot. I don't think you're going to find it.
                          I've seen a few that do, but for one reason or another, I had to pass on 'em. It doesn't have the double bed, but I am going to look at this one. I'd originally ruled out campers with bunk beds but decided they'd do very well for storage.
                          Last edited by MacGyver; 10-31-2018, 04:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                            I have that Ryobi 700 watt propane generator. I use it to charge the batteries on my camper. It won't run my microwave or AC, but I really don't need a microwave when I'm camping. And as far as the AC, most of my summer camping is at 8500 feet and you know you don't need much AC up there. The biggest advantage of that propane generator is, I don't have to carry any extra gasoline for the generator. I have two 20 pound tanks on the front of the camper, so I just run my Camp Chef oven, my Weber grill and the generator off one of the tanks. Works out pretty well. Not really much louder than the Honda 2000 watt inverter that my buddy has.
                            As far as the oven and a trailer under 20 foot. I don't think you're going to find it. I know I bought a Camp Chef oven that runs off propane. It also has two burners up top. I just use that for cooking outside. That way I don't get grease splatter on anything on the inside of the camper. Works out pretty well.
                            Yep! this is exactly my purpose (to recharge the tent battery) in getting this small genny! At 700 continuous watts (6.8 amps) is too small for really significant power.
                            I was slightly disappointed tat t does not have a 12volt DC auxiliary output but I can probably hack it and put something in if I really want it.
                            I was a it afraid that it would be loud but its rated, at 61 db, not all that much, audibly, different than my Yamaha (52? db).
                            It was delivered last night so I'il likely fire it up today, if the snow stops (I expect it to be roughly as loud as a lawnmower).
                            I expect that a singe one pound propane can will more than fully recharge the 35 AH tent battery.

Enjoy!

Comment

I've seen a few that do, but for one reason or another, I had to pass on 'em. It doesn't have the double bed, but I am going to look at this one. I'd originally ruled out campers with bunk beds but decided they'd do very well for storage.

That's very similar to my old Shasta. Instead of the bunks, I had a sofa and overhead cupboard. I kept the sofa made up as a bed all the time.

Looking at it, you might be able to remove the cupboards at the end of the bunk beds so you can make the lower bunk into a dedicated double. The upper bunk will make up for that loss of storage. And you would have storage space under the extension for quad chairs, etc.

In addition, you have the storage over the dinette. On mine, that drop down part was gone, so I had a narrow shelf up there. It opened it up headroom wise but wasn't enough to store. You could cut the drop down lengthwise to give you more head room but still have some storage for clothes - just run a railing along the edge and keep it down all the time.

Plenty of storage room. The wooden part behind the far dinette seat is storage. The top opens. And the ledge along the back is perfect to hold cell phones, keys, flashlights and such so they don't clutter the table.

On mine, there was a 3-1/2ft tall cupboard between the door and the couch (bunk in this one). If that's there, that will give you a really nice pantry for food and cooking gear.

Comment

Working...
                              X