I wanna go camping!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: I wanna go camping!

I'm camping in a week and a half. 1-3" of snow expected-I hope the forecast holds. First trip of 2019 (ps...weekend work sucks).
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

...Looked up at the mountains yesterday...looks like there could be feet of snow up there, yet...
      Probably won't get out until May... (sigh).

Enjoy!
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Just checked the forecast here. Looks like rain all the way up until the day before my trip. I hope this holds up it's perfect!
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

It figures. I love snow but never got a snow trip all winter. Everybody else gets it. And the switch is about to get thrown here in Maryland, meaning it'll be 80+° and too hot to camp before we can even blink.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
            It figures. I love snow but never got a snow trip all winter. Everybody else gets it. And the switch is about to get thrown here in Maryland, meaning it'll be 80+° and too hot to camp before we can even blink.
            I understand. I haven't had a single trip out this winter yet (last was before T-giving). The open weekends I've had....its either rained and was 40 degrees or we were getting minus degree temps/dangerous wind chills (I try to avoid both those conditions as a recreational tent camper). We've had relatively a snowy winter....but it has fallen during the week or....on a weekend that I've had prior commitments. sigh. So, I am shooting for "next" weekend...but already the forecast has warmed and instead of 3 inches of snow....it now calls for snow showers to rain in am and vice versa in pm. A little warmer and it's all a cold damp rain. It may become a cancelled trip depending on what it looks like a day or two before I leave. idk. Been frustrating. I kept telling myself at the beginning of the winter season that it was ok to cancel early on because surely other opportunities to get out this winter will come up. But I've been getting cancelled repeatedly...and now I am running out of time.

In IN, it too soon will be 90, muggy, buggy, and covered in people. I still camp then, but I like the quiet and emptiness of winter (and a campfire is at it's best). I like the contrast in nature season to season and even changing up my camping style/gear/activities each season. Doesn't look I'm going to get the contrast this year. lol
            Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
            Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
            Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

This upcoming trip will be my last until late summer. Have all my other vacation time committed for another purpose so won't even be able to manage a long weekend.

Guess I'll be driveway camping...
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

FINALLY got out for a leave-the-bricks-and-asphalt-and-traffic behind weekend. Windy as hell, leaves in everything and scared to make a decent fire, but it was nice to get away to do next to nothing for a couple of days. With the way the wind was kicking up I was surprised my new Aquaquest tarp held up because the web loops "ain't all that". Wish I'd paid attention to it when I got it and returned it. But it made it through. Also finally got to use my propane adapter for the Mr Heater golf heater in the canvas tent - MUCH better than in a nylon tent with a ton of mesh. Good trip! Hopefully going out the weekend after Easter with the gang.

Comment

sounds good...
                  Might have been the same wind we had here last Wednesday...Not something that I would want to camp in.

Enjoy!
                  2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                  For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                  Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                    Might have been the same wind we had here last Wednesday...Not something that I would want to camp in.
                    It wasn't so bad, except I couldn't do the pyromaniac thing. Just meant I wound up bringing some firewood back for the next trip. Plus the wind aired everything out very nicely, including me. I didn't even come close to breaking a sweat the whole time.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                      FINALLY got out for a leave-the-bricks-and-asphalt-and-traffic behind weekend. Windy as hell, leaves in everything and scared to make a decent fire, but it was nice to get away to do next to nothing for a couple of days. With the way the wind was kicking up I was surprised my new Aquaquest tarp held up because the web loops "ain't all that". Wish I'd paid attention to it when I got it and returned it. But it made it through. Also finally got to use my propane adapter for the Mr Heater golf heater in the canvas tent - MUCH better than in a nylon tent with a ton of mesh. Good trip! Hopefully going out the weekend after Easter with the gang.
                      I am glad to read that you got out MacGyver. I still haven't managed a 2019 trip as of yet and I am dying over here! Thanks for quick info on Aquaquest tarp. Pics of trip?

I still think my nylon (polyester actually) double walled 4 season (mainly winter use for me) tent where I can fully 100% zip up any (or all) of the mesh panels with fabric is a fantastic tent for cold temps, snow, wind, and it can be easily heated with a buddy heater. Add in the 6 foot high 40sq foot front vestibule and you have a weather protected place outside of the tent to boil water for meals and to store gear I want protected but not kept inside the tent. It is a good tent for basecamping. Agree - I wouldn't want to do much winter camping with a tent that has mostly a mesh/screen inner tent. Those tents cannot stop the typical winter winds from blowing under the fly and through the mesh and creating very noticeable drafts inside the tent. Side note: most typical 3 season tents can certainly be used in cold weather, it's the structural strength of the tent poles/design against snow loads and simultaneously strong winds where they are weak/deficient. You'd be ok in it (chilly/drafty) and the tent would be fine...unless it got very snowy and very windy, then I would worry and not sleep soundly...as they are not designed to handle those conditions.

sigpic

Comment

Funny... I hadn't planned on making this some epic little adventure - I just wanted to get away and didn't plan to do much of anything, so I did just that - next to nothing. I only took one pic the entire time - the golf cart heater in action on top of the adapter I made and for some reason, my tablet decided to lose it. Either that or it was operator error. I'm going with the tablet losing it.

My last trip was at the beginning of the cold weather and I was miserable that first night. So miserable that I woke up sick. Packed up and went home. THAT was fun! I don't have a clue what I was thinking. Well, yes I do. I thought a quick setup trip was gonna be great. Pop up the dome tent in about 5 minutes, pop the heater in it and be good to go. But I forgot how much mesh was in that tent and 4,000 BTUs didn't even come close to keeping things warm. Hadn't brought the sleeping bag because I'm used to the Kodiaks being toasty enough to sleep under a single wool blanket. But the three blankets I'd brought (just in case) didn't cut it either. If I'd been smart I would have just slept in the truck and been fine, but as I've said on here before, I never claimed to be smart.

Comment

I went camping last week. Minimal people, lots of wildlife, and weather was conducive. There was a COLD wind most days that kept it from being hot. But the sun was shining and I got a bad sunburn on my face. Using an antibiotic solution for the burns - but man it stings like H3ll!

Stayed at one campground for the first 7 days, then moved to another new one for the last 2 nights. Did some light walking/hiking, but limited it due to Moose-dog's bad legs (and my bad knees).

Got about six books read while relaxing. Nice not to think about work and responsibilities for a time. Bat-dog saw a coyote up close - it was hanging out in the campsite next to us one day. I was surprised how calm she and Moose-dog were about it. The coyote saw them and was barking, and the dogs just watched her until she left.

This is my last camping trip for the next three months. Then I hope to be able to go a lot more when the whim hits.

Comment

I'm looking forward to the upcoming trip my wife and I have planned. We're heading to Fort Pickens in Gulf Islands National Seashore for a couple of weeks at the end of April. I'd booked reservations for both the Florida unit and the MS unit (Davis Bayou), but was afraid that the MS unit might be too buggy that time of year, so I cancelled them and made it just for FL. Campground doesn't look like it's going to be as quiet as I usually prefer, but I love the coastal location (and I'm hoping we'll be able to hear the surf from our tent as we often can when camped near or on the beach...aka Acadia, Hunting Island, etc).

After that I'm really looking forward to a solo trip ( :mdr: ) in June to spend a few days in Cherokee National Forest near the border of TN and NC. I keep my solo trips more minimalist as far as gear and enjoy doing mostly nothing (maybe a little hiking, perhaps some paddling and at night star gazing) as opposed to my wife who prefers to keep the days activity filled....

Looking forward to it as we haven't been camping since last fall when we took a trip to Tar Hollow (in Ohio) and "enjoyed" 4 inches of rain over a 2 day period.....(fortunately we had a rustic cabin on that trip).
                            Last edited by caheaton; 03-21-2019, 12:48 PM.
                            Where we've camped so far (as an adult...many more when I was a kid :-)

Comment

Originally posted by caheaton View Post
                              I'm looking forward to the upcoming trip my wife and I have planned. We're heading to Fort Pickens in Gulf Islands National Seashore for a couple of weeks at the end of April. I'd booked reservations for both the Florida unit and the MS unit (Davis Bayou), but was afraid that the MS unit might be too buggy that time of year, so I cancelled them and made it just for FL. Campground doesn't look like it's going to be as quiet as I usually prefer, but I love the coastal location (and I'm hoping we'll be able to hear the surf from our tent as we often can when camped near or on the beach...aka Acadia, Hunting Island, etc).

After that I'm really looking forward to a solo trip ( :mdr: ) in June to spend a few days in Cherokee National Forest near the border of TN and NC. I keep my solo trips more minimalist as far as gear and enjoy doing mostly nothing (maybe a little hiking, perhaps some paddling and at night star gazing) as opposed to my wife who prefers to keep the days activity filled....

Looking forward to it as we haven't been camping since last fall when we took a trip to Tar Hollow (in Ohio) and "enjoyed" 4 inches of rain over a 2 day period.....(fortunately we had a rustic cabin on that trip).
                              Sounds like a good trip!
                              ...be sure tp post some pics when you return...

Inclement weather can be a bummer...Thinking about getting some kind of combination chess/checkers/backgammon set ...just in case...

Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by caheaton View Post

Love your sig...it highlights the fact that kids just have adventures. I have been to places as an adult and thought, "This looks REALLY familiar." only to realize I had been there several times as a kid.
                                “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                                – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                                X