Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I wanna go camping!

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
    But I'm never getting out again. Seven weekends in a row with rain in the forecast. Tomorrow with steady winds of 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 60. When the weather finally does warm up, I go back to 40-50+ hours a week at work.

Damn.
    Sigh. I hear you. I've cancelled ("postponed") 2 weekend trips over the past month and a half (the original trip and the make up date trip). Both due to rain outs. I can deal with rain when it is warmer...but at 40 degrees...voluntary camping and hiking muddy trails isn't much fun. I'd prefer 20's and snow or dry compared to the 40/50's and wet we're getting.

It's not that I have to unpack from a "cancel" as most gear I grab/pack the night before.....but what is really painful....is at the same time I'm building up the camping excitement/anticipation....I'm also watching the weather forecast slowly deteriorate each day as the big weekend approaches.

New date is in a week. We shall see. I feel like Charlie Brown here.
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I'm going out regardless of the rain. If the forecast is right, I'll have a few days of dry. It will be cold, but I'll just stay in bed longer.
      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by joyonti View Post
        If you have never been truck tent campingbefore, you're missing out on something special. Sleep in full comfort, up offthe ground, completely dry, no matter what the weather conditions. You don'thave to find a flat piece of ground, simply camp wherever your truck can takeyou. Truck tent camping is enjoyable for anyone with a truck: weekend warriors,adventurers, hunters, fishermen, and family campers.
        This is not exactly true. You still need to position your truck so you are flat. Or at least on a slope going front to back inside of side to side.
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

I've done a bit of truck/camper shell camping. I like the simplicity of it, but I have moved on.
          2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

I too have turned into a fair weather camper; if the forecast is for rain, sleet, snow, gropple (tiny snow balls), or especially for high winds and hail I don't bother.
            Did the truck camping thing (its best done with an in bed camper insert but do-able with a topper; not all that comfy, I like to stand up straight an stretch occasionally.
            IMO, the peak of vehicle camping is off road in remote locations where travel trailers, RVs, 2WD vehicles (including trucks) and people with loud toys are not often seen or heard (and the wildlife comes out of hiding after the toy centric people have left).
            For me ground tents work best (dry, roomy enough for shelter if several days of bad weather are encountered; non woodsy entertainment sometimes helps). To get away from ground contact cots or even very thick air mattresses are useful.

Enjoy!
            2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
            For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
            Ground tents work best for me, so far.
            Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I'm not exactly a fair weather camper. If I get surprised by rain or even a thunderstorm while I'm already out there, I'm OK with it. But I won't go out knowing I'm headed for rain at some point. High wind like what we have today, with trucks being blown all over the road and having to do the recycle bin slalom all day long? Nope. Not camping weather. But snow? I'm definitely good to go. A shame we haven't had any real snow this year.
              Last edited by MacGyver; 03-02-2018, 09:26 AM.

Comment

I wouldn't consider myself (or the wife) fair weather campers. lol - our family, friends and coworkers generally think we're nuts going out when we do (altho there always seems to one person that when hearing the plan says "that sounds like fun!")---but there aren't really that many folks that want to spend a weekend out in the weather...in a tent. I certainly have had my experiences with "camping in the rain" as the multiple hooks in my garage ceiling can attest. I hang wet gear-tents, flies, tarps, clothing-on the hooks to dry/air out everything post-camp before it goes back on the shelf. A couple of oscillating fans speed the process.

We've been known to go into the storm to camp (in the pic our camp area is somewhere in the rain shield up the road ahead). We should have known based on the beginning...line after line of storms came through our entire stay....including one at night producing a tornado warning (which was delivered to us by a ranger yelling next to our tent recommending we take shelter). Oddly, we had the same scenario happen again that particular summer....in the same camp.

Click image for larger version

Name:	14047226_10206210569013106_3460922920336403488_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	71002

I find the shoulder seasons (spring/fall) here in IN to be the most iffy---like everyone I suppose that gets the 4 season mix. You either get surprisingly good weather...or it will be rainy/nasty for several days. It sometimes is a last minute call if we go or not. If the forecast calls for a full weekend of rain, we'll postpone it. I'm not out anything $$$---since everything is walk in camping this time of year. I'm camping to get out and about (hiking, exploring, etc.). I don't mind hanging out under the tarp listening to the rain come down....just not for the entire weekend when a simple change of plans to the next weekend...may bring more enjoyable results.

Summer is summer. Hot, buggy, crowded. We still go 'cause we're camping fools (and I've paid $$$ for reservations)...but it's not our favorite time.

Winter is great....although like Mac, we didn't get much snow here either this winter (9" TOTAL-sigh) and again it appears I will miss a "falling snow" outing. The one true winter trip we did take in January up north, the 6-7" snow on the ground melted as the weekend went on...turning everything wet and somewhat muddy (the garage hooks came in handy upon our return-lol). Our November trip was cold, but no snow. It actually was a good weekend to camp.

I "get out there" as much and as often as I can....but I also try to choose (when I can) my Mother Nature battles wisely.
                2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I like Summer camping for some strange reason. Maybe because that's when I have some idle time. The heat doesn't bother me much; I was raised in the deep south.
                  2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

I do mountain camping in the summer. Cool nights and warm days.

I stay further down in the valley in the off season.

I'm fine with rain while camping. Just as long as there are some dry spells so I can take the dogs out for a stretch every so often. Otherwise, I enjoy a good book and a hot cocoa and watch the rain.
                    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

It's officially a conspiracy now. Just checked the long term forecasts for western Maryland. Mix of sun and clouds all week, with rain and snow mix on the weekend. The following week is cloudy all week with rain and snow showers on the weekend. That'll make two months waiting for a decent weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                        It's officially a conspiracy now. Just checked the long term forecasts for western Maryland. Mix of sun and clouds all week, with rain and snow mix on the weekend. The following week is cloudy all week with rain and snow showers on the weekend. That'll make two months waiting for a decent weekend.
                        Just go camping in the rain. And enjoy the solitude.
                        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                        – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                          Just go camping in the rain. And enjoy the solitude.
                          Looks that way. Just hope I can get a tarp up while it's not raining.

Comment

As far as camping in a truck, remember that the truck is one big heat sink. That steel gets really cold at night.
                            Nights camped in 2019: 24
                            Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                              As far as camping in a truck, remember that the truck is one big heat sink. That steel gets really cold at night.
                              you also learn how trucks/vehicles are not exactly as airtight as one thought,
                              about an hr after you get settled will notice every little draft coming through

Comment

I still love my Kodiak canvas truck tent
                                Nights camped in 2019: 24
                                Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Working...
                                X