Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just Registered w/CampinForums.com: Say Hello Here First!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Just Registered w/CampinForums.com: Say Hello Here First!

Welcome to the forum gmann. I can relate to you in that I quit camping for many years and felt the need to start up again. As for the frozen ground it was brought up not long ago and the suggestion was made to buy some big nails/spikes from the hardware store and any that don't want to pull up you can just leave in the ground.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
      Welcome to the forum gmann. I can relate to you in that I quit camping for many years and felt the need to start up again. As for the frozen ground it was brought up not long ago and the suggestion was made to buy some big nails/spikes from the hardware store and any that don't want to pull up you can just leave in the ground.
      Thanks.

I have no problem camping in the cold. Back in the day I camped in the BWCA during the winter. My issue is that at this point in time I just don't want to camp in the dead of winter. Another reason is that I don't think my boys would find it fun to camp in the winter. Especially this winter. Minnesota obviously gets all four seasons in their extreme but this current winter has been especially nasty. Since the first week of December and factoring in the wind chill we have only had a handful of days in which the temp has been above zero. We have had numerous days in which the temp with wind chill has been 50 below zero. Maybe next year or the year after we will get in some winter camping. Another reason is that my 7 year old is disabled and he would have a very difficult time navigating through the snow.

Edit. As an example....two days ago the low was 23 below zero. With wind chill it was 40 below. By the middle of next week we might see 40 degrees since the first time in many months. 40 will feel like 80 and I'm not exaggerating.
      Last edited by gmann; 02-14-2014, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gmann View Post
        Thanks.

I have no problem camping in the cold. Back in the day I camped in the BWCA during the winter. My issue is that at this point in time I just don't want to camp in the dead of winter. Another reason is that I don't think my boys would find it fun to camp in the winter. Especially this winter. Minnesota obviously gets all four seasons in their extreme but this current winter has been especially nasty. Since the first week of December and factoring in the wind chill we have only had a handful of days in which the temp has been above zero. We have had numerous days in which the temp with wind chill has been 50 below zero. Maybe next year or the year after we will get in some winter camping. Another reason is that my 7 year old is disabled and he would have a very difficult time navigating through the snow.

Edit. As an example....two days ago the low was 23 below zero. With wind chill it was 40 below. By the middle of next week we might see 40 degrees since the first time in many months. 40 will feel like 80 and I'm not exaggerating.
        You guys need to quit hogging all the winter! It was 85* in Phoenix today and is supposed to be 87 tomorrow.
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
          You guys need to quit hogging all the winter! It was 85* in Phoenix today and is supposed to be 87 tomorrow.
          All you have to do, James, is head over to the east coast. We've got a nice chunk o' Winter for you. Most of Maryland got anywhere from a foot to two feet of snow and more is on the way. North of here got even more. Lovin' it! Finally got to try out my new snowshoes!
          Last edited by MacGyver; 02-14-2014, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Joined the forum a while back and have just "lurked". Want to participate because every time I visit I learn something. Hope I can contribute also. Spent many years in the camping/rv business and still an avid tent camper.

Comment

Welcome gmann - I am sorry that it took a sad event to get you back into camping, but the memories for your boys will be wonderful.
              - Laura
              Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Just joined the forum! My wife and I are avid tent campers and road trippers. We have 26+ nights in our tent in the past two years. In that time we’ve hit Grand Teton and Yellowstone (twice), Sand Dunes National Park, Glacier National Park, Redwoods National Park, Lassen National Park, Great Basin National Park, Arches National Park, Dinosaur National Monument, Craters of the Moon National Monument and several National Forest sites. We’re blessed to live in Colorado so we have the Rocky Mountains as our back yard. I’m also pretty organized in my packing method and camping systems.

Comment

Hello Everyone,

My name is Mike. I live in NW region of Iowa. I like camping, but want to get more involved in the camping experience. I hope to be able to camp more this summer. I enjoy tent camping more than rv'ing and would like to learn a lot and travel to different state parks or areas that I can get away from large crowds of people this year. I am glad i found this forum and look forward to getting to know you all.

Comment

Hi y'all! :D I'm just registered and have been reading so much on these boards over the last couple days. Thank you, everyone, for the wealth of information on all things camping!

A little about me and my family: I'm 38, my husband is 34, and we have two daughters, 7 and 11, and two golden retrievers, 3 and 14. We live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland and enjoy vacationing of all kinds including cruising as well as camping.

All through my childhood, my parents took my siblings and me all over the place in our 1977 Vega "Hump" travel trailer. Some of my best childhood memories are from those camping trips.

Although my husband and I haven't done much camping with the kids yet, this Summer we are planning on doing a week of dispersed camping somewhere in the MD-PA-VA-WV-DE-NY area.

My husband has a Land Rover Discovery as his "toy truck". It's his current favourite hobby to outfit it with whatever strikes his fancy as being useful or fun for fishing and offroading, so that'll a plus for this trip. And we've had our Swiss Gear 2-room, 8-man tent for about 6 years now. We've already got most of what we need for this adventure, but I am compiling a shopping / packing list based on some of the helpful info I've found here.

The kids don't know about this trip yet but they are going to be so excited! We've never really 'roughed it' to the extent we're planning, or for anywhere near this amount of time. We usually just do 3-day weekends tent camping in campgrounds. I haven't found the place yet, but from these boards I think I've got it figured out that what I want is a National Forest. We want secluded, back-country camping. We want to give the kids the feeling of being self-reliant and totally 'away from it all'. I think if we do this right, even if we only do it once, it's something the girls will remember fondly for the rest of their lives. But I think we'll be doing it more than once.

Comment

G'Day All,

Matt from Australia here, i love camping but don't get to go very often, love getting new ideas for camping and don't mind spot of fishing either!

Matt

Comment

• Re: I live

Hello my name is Dustin and just signed up on the forum. Currently reside in Colorado Springs and love the easy access to awesome camping and hiking. Try to camp as much as possible. Love to get out on the trail if it's for a day or a week and looking to go further and lighter this year. Also off-road scooter camping this year!

Joined up to try to share what tips and knowledge I have picked up and get advice on how to improve my outdoor experience.

Comment

My name is Gene Wiseman and I am from Watts in NE Oklahoma. I got into camping about 15 years ago ( as an adult anyway ) because it was the cheapest way to vacation. I did a little backpacking but not a lot. When I got married about 8 years ago my camping and vacationing in general came to a halt. Now that Michelle's kids are grown ( they were not the outdoor type ) we are getting back into camping. We went on 1 trip to Black Mesa State park late last fall and Michelle loved it. I am gathering up gear to make it a little more comfortable and we have a trip planned for my birthday in late April. I am excited to get back to camping again and am glad to have my wife on board.

Comment

Hi! I'm Tracie. My husband, 3 kids and I like camping (well at least my husband and I do, especially since it's cheaper than a hotel room for 5 people!). whether my kids like camping depends upon the day.
                            We live in central NC, and have camped in VA, NC, SC. I'm looking for ideas to make camping easier/more comfortable, so we can do more camping with the kids, and less whining/discomfort from them.

Comment

• Re: I live

Howdy everyone! i'm new here and thought I would say hey.

I do all kinds of camping... R.V. / car / tent / bike / backpacking. But my absolute favorite is just vagabonding in my truck through the northwest. I have a few spots I always hit, but for the most part I just start driving and see where I end up. Having the summers off gives me plenty of time to explore!

This looks like a pretty good forum and I'm glad I found it!

klack
                              (mike)

Comment

Been camping for a few years now. Got here after doing some research for water jugs/bladders for an up coming trip to the Grand Canyon next week. Family of 5 with gear picked up mostly at REI. This will be our first camp with no bathroom or water.

Al

Comment

Working...
                                X