Camping pet peeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camping pet peeves

Here's a new one, but I can't really call it a pet peeve since I doubt (hope?) it will ever happen again.

My two boys and I go to take a shower, and all three showers are in use and one of the toilet stalls are in use. So we start the waiting game. It's late Spring in Florida so it's hot and the showers are making it 100% humidity instated of the usual 95%. Not exaggerating -- we wait for a solid 15 minutes, and then the guy in the toilet stall flushes and walks out...of course, my favorite...buck naked. He does the macho nod of greeting, and walks over to the first shower and turns off the water, walks over to the second shower and turns off the water, then goes into the third shower and stays there showering.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Y'know, people in general, for the most part, are weird. But I'll be d@mned if I can figure that whole situation out. It had me looking around for cameras because I thought for sure I was being punked on the new Candid Camera show or something! Waste of my time, waste of (heated) water, and the list goes on...
    Nights camping in 2012: 2

"Doors marked pull reduce the speed of those who push before they read."
    READ THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL!

Comment

the woman who decided to get it on with her boyfriend at about 9pm, 8ft from our tent as we were putting the kids to bed a couple of weeks ago. The kids got a bit of a lesson regarding the birds and the bees. Obviously have no problems with people enjoying themselves but there was no other tents in the area and she moved in after us. Seriously get a room or find some space. My kids (7,5,3) can wait for the sex ed class!!!!
      Total night under canvas 2012: 22

Comment

Did you report it to the camp host?
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

BOTH the above described idiots should be reported for lewd and lascivious conduct - the first also for public indecency!!
          Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by kjmillig View Post
            Flashlights in the eyes! I almost always move around in the dark without a light unless absolutely necessary when setting up camp, cooking, and such. Then there's someone, often kids, who feel they need to shine a flashlight in your face to see who you are. As a long time Scout leader I have confiscated many flashlights for that very reason.
            This! I've camped where people use those 20,000 -50,000 foot-candle spotlights :/. I use a red LED light to get around at night. Less obtrusive and doesn't blind everyone on the loop.

Comment

Where do I start?

Obnoxious, rude campers who feel the need to yell, shout, shoot off fireworks, sing loudly (and badly) at the top of their lungs for hours on end. Not everyone wants to stay up 'til 3 am or get up at 6 am so have some consideration and keep the noise level down!

Pet owners who allow their dogs to bark constantly, don't pick up after their dogs, do not keep them on a leash, etc, etc. Why do people like this think that everyone should and would love their pets as much as they do? Then they wonder why people complain about camping with pets. Personally I seek out campgrounds that don't allow pets. I've had so many problems with this one.

Same applies to children. Keep them reasonably quiet and and keep an eye on them please. I don't want or need to have your kids running around in my campsite or hear them shouting across it.

People who play loud music. Why do they think that others want to listen to their music anyway? Do they want me to blast my heavy metal music at them in return? I can do that but it wouldn't be very nice, now would it?

Litter. I hate it. You camp to commune with nature and then throw garbage around? I'm a big believer in "Leave No Trace"..

Walking through my campsite. I paid for it and you shouldn't be on it. Do you walk into other people's hotel rooms too?

I'm sure there are others..

Comment

Wow, I don't have too many complaints when camping. I'm a nurse that works in an ICU were people are sick and dying all the time and patients and families are under alot of stress so what goes on in most campgrounds I deal with. I really enjoy quiet nights and no lights, which means generators bug me after hours. I wish campground hosts and owners would talk to campers about generators use and loud music at night so it wouldn't be a problem when the time came. Some things I don't mind like a pleasant dog that wants a pat on their head, or kids that are polite and friendly, I was one too. Things I don't like are loud campers after quiet hours and nothing being done about it. I had some teens in a campsite about 40 feet from us having a $ex a thon one morning which I found comical, fortunately my son slept through it. Another that really bugs me which was mentioned before, is doing things that we do every day at home, like watching movies or playing video games and doing them late at night and the next day you can't get your kids out of bed to do things only that can be done on at this destination.

I do mostly primative camping in campgrounds but plan on doing more primative camping on state ground, not always sure about that cause no one is around at times and not sure what might come up missing. I never remember stuff getting ripped off at a campground.

To me, camping is kinda like a nudist colony with your clothes on, everyone is living out in the open where you can't hide behind walls. People forced to be outside(heavan forbid), cooking, playing, interacting with neighbors much closer than they are used too, which I believe is a good thing, more real and different than going to a resort, hotel and such.

To me, camping is unique experience and I wish people were more polite and campers that desired a more remote quieter space could get it.
                Last edited by spud; 09-09-2012, 09:28 AM. Reason: duplicate

Comment

I rarely camp near anyone, but finding a nice site that has trash in the fire pit, or diapers etc, or used toilet paper and human waste that they didn't bury when they went is annoying. I tend to stay away from places that others camp in much until the season is well past.

4 wheel drive and two track dirt roads in the Rockies are wonderful things! I have one camp spot that I've left firewood at for 6 or 7 years, nobody's touched it. It's up at about treeline (10,000 ft el) so not much native firewood about.

Comment

Got a new one! Went camping this weekend. There was a group about 3-4 sites down from us. Now I do understand having a t.v. in a camper. This group did have a pop-up, but what was weird was they actually had the t.v. outside on the picnic table. The pet peeve then showed up--they had the volume on the t.v. loud enough that we could hear it from our campsite at 11:30 at night when it was supposed to be quiet hours. And we where 3-4 campsites away.

Comment

• Re: Camping pet peeves

Whoa! That is a new one. Now that's super-annoying!
                      Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Most of mine have already been mentioned. Here's a few more though:
                        • My girlfriend constantly tripping over guy lines.
                        • My girlfriend leaving the tent unzipped.
                        • People not flushing toilets. (when available)
                        • A cluttered campsite.
                        • Running out of beer.

Comment

WOW! I had no idea this thread I started would be going this strong after almost 10 months! Great Stuff, and very funny.

Comment

The only thing that I really don't like is RV campers in pretty public campgrounds. They turn the forest into a bus parking lot. When they run their generators, it is even worse.

RV's at an RV campground - that makes sense with all the RV's stacked up bumper to bumper in a parking lot or field - that makes sense. Dragging an RV mobile home into the forest - that doesn't make sense at all. That is like cutting down all the trees to get a better view of the forest.

Comment

Originally posted by Beer Me! View Post
                              • A cluttered campsite.
                              • Running out of beer.
                              Worse than that is not having a girlfriend who will camp with you and trip over the guy lines and leave the tent unzipped.

Comment

Originally posted by Beer Me! View Post
                                • A cluttered campsite.
                                • Running out of beer.
                                try changing out the guy lines with bright orange paracord
                                Nights camped in 2019: 24
                                Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Working...
                                X