Camping pet peeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camping pet peeves

I didn't have to...Meg a.k.a. "Sherpa" verbally beat him down in words that I can't repeat in this forum.
    2012 - Nights spent in the back country: 12

Comment

Applause!:D Cheers! :D Good for Meg!!!:cool:
      Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
      Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

People period. And while it may be true that you cant fix stupid you sure can numb it with a 2 x 4.
        Last edited by MH_Hawker; 05-23-2012, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by busere View Post
          While setting up your tent at a camp site, figuring out that you're missing a pole. That really sips.

Early spring camping, there's only you and one other family in the whole entire campground...and the second family gets the slot right next to you. I've actualy had this one happen...we went to the office and moved to a diffrent slot. This is why I'm excited about back woods camping.
          Yeah, why right next to me. Are they scared of the dark? Worried about wolves?
          -Johnny

Comment

Yes. Litter is up there. It's almost like vandalism. It's a complete lack of respect for something that is meant to be revered.

Comment

Children who lock all the bathroom doors and then slide under them to get out.
              Hate that!
              Specially when the miscreants happen to be camping with me....
              2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
              Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

1) Nudity in the bathroom bothers me.. but mostly because they are walking around with their towel swung over their shoulder, instead around their waist. I now mostly use the family restroom (usually with the wife) if there is one available.

2) Last summer we were only able to camp 2 nights. The first night, 3 campsites over, there must have been a dozen people playing banjos, guitars, double basses, harmonicas, etc. FROM 9 PM TO 3 AM. They sounded good, but wayyy too loud. I'd even consider it rudely loud for daylight hours. The second night the park rangers shut them down early enough.

3) Unsupervised children. Why is your 5 year old in my campsite?

Comment

1) People washing dirty dishes in the water spigot when there are signs specifically saying NOT TO DO THIS because of bears. Is it that hard to pack a dish pan? Even a collapsing one is better than blocking everyone's water access for 15-20 minutes while you sit there dumping nasty food-laden water everywhere. It's gross, and I hate waiting just to fill up a pot with water so I can heat it up to do my own dishes (I'm not wasting my drinking water on washing unless we're fully dry camping). Three of the 8 or so campgrounds we've been two in the last two weeks (ALL of them in bear country!!!) had people doing this... considering that only 2 of the 8 campgrounds we've been to actually had dishwashing sinks (the rest did not) I came prepared to wash on my own, with a dishpan!

2) People who let their really young children run loose, unsupervised. I have kids, I get it, they're bored and you're probably too tired to chase after them, but I certainly didn't go camping to be your child's babysitter just because I'm actually watching my own kids. I've decided that the next time I get a stray 5 or 6 year old (or younger!!) that isn't from the site right next to me that won't leave us alone I will be walking them to the camp host or ranger station and reporting the "problem".

3) RV's running generators when it's not allowed in the campground at all - we had this happen last weekend, and the campground host wouldn't do anything about it because "the campground was pretty empty". It was on the last day we were there or we would have complained higher up.

4) Arriving at a campground that was "fully reserved" months in advance (I know because I reserved the last site that happened to be the day we wanted to stay, 3 months prior, and there was NO availability at all for three weeks on either side of that date!) is in fact mostly EMPTY... and I would say that maybe one in 5 or 6 campsites was occupied. Granted, the peace and quiet was nice, but the fact that we wouldn't have been allowed to stay longer in a mostly empty campground really bothered me.

fantomas - I am almost guilty of #2 on your list, but it wasn't because we wanted to be close to people, we have a large tent and the ONLY large flat site was next to someone who had already set up. The dumb part about it is that the campsites were actually veryspread out, but on mostly uneven terrain except for two, and I actually asked the people if they would mind if we set up in the site next to them (which was even on the other side of a path, and they said sure, go for it, and then I started unloading all of our stuff, and once I had, they did a complete 180 and insisted that we would be too close (we were easily 30 yards away) and I should find another site since there wasn't anyone else in the campground. I was more annoyed at that point than if they'd just said no to start with... because I did ask and I know I didn't misunderstand them. We did end up finding another site, but it it was on much more of a slope than I would have preferred. I was glad we only stayed there one night.

..and on that note.. #5 Unlevel and too small tent pads. It's very frustrating when you have a larger tent to try to fit it into a space seemingly designed for a 6x6 tent and no larger. A lot of the NPS campgrounds we've been to have been like this, and we've had a lot of trouble fitting our tent (which I can admit is big, but nowhere near as large as some) in some sites. It's especially frustrating in campgrounds where you don't get to choose a site because it's often a VERY big hassle to get the site changed.

Comment

Trash is the thing that pisses me off the most. If I'm going on a hike I will bring a trash bag with me so I don't have to carry it in my hands. I don't understandwhy people think it's ok to leave fish hooks on the ground and their worm containers and half empty power bait jars. I've picked up dirty diapers, countless bottles and cans....and cigarette butts. I'm a smoker, but I will NOT leave a single cigarette butt on the ground.
                    My Other Interest

Comment

Sarah, I didn't mean next to. The sites we go to are fairly well defined but there are kids that run through people's campsites, like between our tent and our car. God forbid they trip on a guyline and either hurt themselves or damage a tent...

Comment

Wildfires.
                        Nights camped in 2019: 24
                        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Yeah, I too am a smoker!!! I don't even throw my buttes my the firepit...those nasty things go into my pockets! And since I smoke non-filters(goin on 40 years) I field strip 'em and that that little piece of paper gets placed in my pants pockets! G_ _ D _ _nit! I do not like havin to police my site to set camp but have too! People, though nice & fine, are the worst polluters!
                          Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                          Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Roll your own (organic preferable).

The only damn thing a filter does is cause you to take more and deeper drags in order to get the nicotine that you desire.

Then you can throw your butts anywhere, since there only paper and lead material... not some version of fiberglass designed by Phillip Morris.

Comment

The last time I was out camping we had a family come in Friday night with 7 kids and they kept screaming and so on until well past midnight. I asked if they could keep it down a little and they called me a trouble maker and an A-hole. I left 2 days early not wanting to deal with them and the park caretakers that would not do anything about it. the park people told me that they would only be here for 2 nights so they didn’t want to get involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Nickadeamus View Post
                                The last time I was out camping we had a family come in Friday night with 7 kids and they kept screaming and so on until well past midnight.
                                That's when you rise at the crack of dawn and start banging pots and pans around.

Comment

Working...
                                X