Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Camping pet peeves

Originally posted by MWcamper View Post
    I think my biggest pet peeves are the following.
    1. People that think their way to camp is the "right way" to camp, and covers all of it. For some people camping means getting out in the "quiet" some people it means getting the family together or friends and getting their drink on and having fun. If I want quiet I go for rustic camping that I have to work a little to get to, trust me, there's enough places you can go where you 99% won't see another human the whole time you're out. If I am camping in a campground or resort setting I expect to hear kids and dogs and people having fun. It's ok with me. Just have some sense about it and don't get crazy until after say 9 or 10 in the morning and no later that 10 or 11 at night. No one there has to be at work in the morning.

2. People that "ruin it for the rest of us" ... be conscience of your surroundings, your neighbors and nature. Don't mess it up.

3. People that are way too friendly. Believe it or not I didn't come here to make life long friends and I don't want you to come over and eat my food and drink my beverages and make yourself at home.

4. I camp with my dog, I love my dog, I have a good dog, I clean up after my dog, my dog does not howl or bark and she also doesn't bite. That does not mean I want you to come mess with my dog. I also take offence at anyone who says I am in some way ruining their camping by me bringing my dog. As stated she's a very good dog and is not disruptive. She might even keep the coons away from the campsites, you're welcome.

5. Anyone who thinks their weekend is more important than mine.

6. Overpriced wood/ice/supplies being offered by camp "hosts".

That probably covers most of it, honestly I am a live and let live (camp and let camp) kind of camper. If you are having fun awesome, if I am having fun awesome, we should all be having fun.
    I agree with all of this. On #4, I would add that it's OK to have a dog that's not perfect as long as you make the effort to improve on the dog's behavior.

When I started bringing Bat-dog camping, she was 2 years old and had had a very traumatic experience that left her with a serious fear of people issue. She barked as soon as she saw a person - no matter how far away they were - and it took every trick in the book to get her settled back down. But I didn't leave her at home because she wasn't "a proper camping dog" - I kept bringing her and working with her. I picked my campgrounds carefully, I didn't outstay her comfort zone (when she's cranky her behavior deteriorates), and I ALWAYS had her on a leash and in my control, as well as having my attention on her completely when people came near. When we started she was "a bad camper", after a couple years, she was "a pretty good camper considering" (considering her past trauma), now she's "a pretty good camper". She'll never win the award for "best camper" but she improves all the time.

Just like people, dogs can be newbies too and deserve some understanding for not "getting it" right from the start.

Oh, and she saw her very first raccoon this past November - I think she still dreams about that strange critter.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by NMCamper View Post
      it was intended more as a joke/commentary on the fact that a few of the pet peeves people posted are things that noob campers like myself do, not because we don't care but because we're noobs . Also a plea for patience, and maybe come over and tell us what we're doing wrong so we can fix it instead of making fun of our noobiness on here .
      This is a really good point and with that in mind I am going to change this from Pet Peeves to Tips for the Beginning Camper

If you are camping alone or within your own group (meaning you are running the show):

Always leave your camp cleaner than you found it. I can't remember the last time I pulled into a site and didn't find at least SOME trash left behind from the last person. In most cases it is as simple as picking it up (with gloves) and dropping it into the fire pit or trash. And remembering to walk your site after you are all loaded up to leave. It should be the last thing you do before pulling out.

Be aware of your surroundings. If you are dispersed/primative camping and there isnt anyone anywhere near you please feel free to whoop it up until your hearts content. Get drunk and roudy (just remember that sound carries a long way at night) and have a good ole time. Heck, walk around naked if you want. You are in the middle of nowhere after all. Just remember that what your idea of fun is might not be your neighbors cup-o-tea. Nobody wants to go ask you to keep it down (or put some clothes on) so don't put them in the position where they have to ask.

Which brings me to my next point. If you are dispersed/primative camping and you reach a remote spot off the beaten path and find a spot close to where someone else is camping maybe you should look for somewhere out of earshot to pitch your camp. This is my reasoning. People usually end up in secluded spots because they want to be away from everyone. Maybe that isnt your thing but it might be for the person you find therem. Give them some room as a courtesy. Definately out of sight...preferably out of earshot.

Dust sucks. If you are driving down a dirt road there is no way to avoid it. There is going to be a dust trail. But if you are driving past someones camp site or someone who is walking, slow down to minimize the dust you kick up.

Take care of your gear. Even cheap gear will last a long time if you treat it well and even expensive stuff will fall apart if you abuse it.

Don't freak out too much when packing. Just remember that you NEED food, water and shelter. So...if you have your tent and ice chest(s) with your food and water and a way to cook the food you are fine. Everything else is a luxury. Guaranteed that in the beginning you are going to forget stuff you want and you are going to bring stuff that will make you wonder what you were thinking. Nothing you can do but make a note for next time. I alwyas say that you start planning your next trip when the current trip starts.

Speaking of notes. Make them. Not mental ones...literal ones. Take a pen and pad of paper or use your phone but write ideas down as you have them so you can get it organized for next time. Because in 3 months you probably wont remember that the lantern is out of mantels until it starts getting dark on your first night out there and then its too late. Be as speific as you can. For example I am working out ideas for a tarp tent for my truck and want to be able to vent it. That note is a full page of both what I want it to do and ideas to get it done. Including some drawings.

If you are camping with someone else:

Don't be afraid to do to much work when camping with someone. And don't assume that they are planning your vacation for you. Even if they invited you to go along with them you need to ask what you should bring as far as...well....everything is concerned. Ask questions like do I need my own tent? Do I need to bring my own food? How about a grill? How much do I need to chip in on supplies? Once there you can ask if you can help with preparing the food and I have never heard of anyone turning down an offer for someone else to clean up after a meal. Seriously, don't be afraid to do more than your share of work. It will help prevent awkward situations, bad feelings and will lead to more invites in the future. Besides, cleaning up while camping is part of the fun imo.

Leave the fire alone. If you are poking at the fire every 5-10 minutes you can just consider yourself one of those people. Stop it. The fire will be just fine without you poking at it....I swear it will be fine. Trust me.

Loading and unloading. This one can be tricky as some people genuinely don't want help loading and unloading. I am one of those people. It is faster and easier for me load my truck myself. And since you haven't set up my gear before I don't want you to break it by pulling on something that shouldn't be pulled on. Best bet here is to take a laid back approach and ask whoever you are camping with what you can help with and then do what they tell you. If they say don't worry about it and that they got it then don't worry about it...they got it.
      Last edited by James.; 06-13-2016, 04:02 PM.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

^^^^ This is good advice James. Well said.
        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X