No announcement yet.

What's up with membership?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I say we have one big central meetup camp out this summer! Even if there's not that many show up we can still advertise it as a big "meeting!" We can name it something special and make it a traditional event! Think about it! I'll bring friends... you will bring friends... even JohnJohn might have a friend he can bring! Before you know it the event gets bigger and bigger and it gives members something to look forward to!

"Annual Camp Fest!"

Competitions...

Setting up a tent the fastest...
    Breaking camp the fastest...
    horseshoes (obviously)
    Starting a fire the fastest without matches
    ect. ect.
    Sgt. Richard V. Gilbert
    USMC Retired
    Scout/Sniper

Comment

Ideas

I wonder if we would get more participation if we opened it up a little more to pop/up, travel trailers, Rver's. I know there are post threads in that area but some of the members can be less than friendly at times with regards to ways of camping that do not fit into their prefferred method.

I know I have not been on as much just becuase I feel after purchasing a travel trailer I do not have as much in common with our members. My analogy is owing a Ford and belonging to a Chevy forum. After a while all the Ford bashing gets old. Just my two cents.....

Comment

With relatively few members, our 'meets' would be small - but I'd like to be able to meet some of y'all! I'd be limited to the Eastern half of the country for awhile though. So, we'd likely need two meets - west and east. And we'd need to decide - full facilities or 'roughing it'...? The RV folks would probably like full hook-ups.
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Sounds like a plan of sorts! Don't know about this year but next is a real winner. Maybe we could meet in JohnJohn's backyard since he lives in the country in Colorado and that is pretty central to the entire US but we also have campateers from Canada, Europe, South Africa, & Australia too. What about them?

The card making idea camp from just me stapling a business card to a message board at campsites that I've camped at( I ain't in to handing out literature which is sure to make the ground). So far to date we have camped at 35 different campgrounds and I have used 35 staples from my staple-gun in my tool box. So I'm ain't littering! On the business card are these words and nothing more is added: http://www.campingforums.com. All I'm trying to do is to put this website out there at places that are geared to campers. If I get in a conversation with a fellow camper, sure to can bet your bottom dollar, somewhere's I'm gonna say something about this website! But I refuse to stand in an airport and hand out literature concerning this website or the second coming of who ever is suppose-to-be-second-coming, by cracky!

JohnJohn started this thread way back in 05. What it takes to grow more members is for the members that claim to be long standing members need to stay and be active. JP is a long standing member and he's still here, then BD and then me, tplife, & rxcamping and OntarioCamper(OC)....but where are the rest of the members before us? Well, they got bored...had no real thoughts to say about camping and didn't want to invest their time. So I'm shouting, you gotta invest some time, and keep talkin' campin', by cracky! Go to the campgrounds and you will see people camping! Everybody camps but few like to chat about it on-line. But I'm still talking camping! Why, because I really love to camp! The facebook idea of JohnJohn's is a good idea, tell me how to become a fan and I'll jump on board there too! Let's get campin!
          Last edited by renodesertfox; 04-09-2010, 05:32 PM.
          Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
          Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I mention this forum to my camping friends, they think I am just a nutty forum junky! Well, I am, but that's not the point!

I do try to spread the word, but seems to fall on def ears :(

I will do what I can to stay active here. I like this place, and I like camping!
            My Other Interest

Comment

Chat about your camping experiences...that is all we can do! Camping is fun!

Comment

Hey reno............

Just sent an email to one of my hotdog cart customers up here in Can.

Maybe I can get her on here too.......
                She is not quite as avid as am I, but we'll see!

Comment

It will grow, It will grow have faith. People meet and become attached to other people (personnas) online at least that is my experience. Although I have not physically met reno, bigg dog, tplife, jppurdy, and others I feel like I have sat around the campfire with each of them at some point and could tell you something about each of them.:D:D The best that we can do is try and chat about camping as reno said. Post your experience after a weekend even if it is hum drum people love to live vicariously thorugh others and get ideas about how others cook/camp etc. One of my favorite areas on this forum is the recipe section (keep em coming reno). I have tried many of Renos recipes like french toast with a cream cheese filling and jelly. That one is one of my favorites.
                  The other thing that we can do is try and respond to peoples questions quickly and in abundance. A lot of quick responses shows an active forum. Most people originally come to a forum because they have questions. If they get their questions answered they stay around. Both of the other forums I belong to I originally joined because I had questions on how a process worked. Both of these forums have a host of regulars who chime in and chat back and forth about whatever.

Comment

With money getting tighter, folks will opt out of the old "Disney/Theme Park" vacations, and start camping more. I have been seeing the campgrounds offering special 'camping days' discounts too.
                    So, we will get more folks on here, I am sure. And, we are the most active 'camping' website I have yet seen - one reason I decided to grace y'all with my presence! Hehehe...... Hard to get the other places to talk, beond just a couple regulars.

Comment

There is really nothing wrong with our membership! New campateers are joining everyday, every week! Last week there were more than 12 new users. Of course not everyone is inclined to chat on the forum, some join to either sell or buy something in the Vendor section. But some individuals are jumping on the wagon and chatting. If you're an old regular just remind your self to check out "just registered" and say hi to the new campateers. Even if you didn't get to say hi first, say hi second or third, etc. say hi to everyone, thanks!

I'm sure there are subjects that just affect the easterner camper vs the westerner camper. If you got something on your mind, post up! When you return from a campout. Write a review, upload photos, tell others about your campout! Now get campin'! And thanks to everyone for making this the "best camping forum on the planet!"

Comment

Each "Campateer' is a pebble in the Great Pool of Life, Grasshopper! One mentions the forum to many more, and each in his turn to others.

Comment

Working...
                        X