Views:	1
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	70678
      Nights camped in 2019: 24
      Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Re: New to camping, not sure on a family tent

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
        cause you set it up and left it up all summer! You might mention that you used your tent as a cabin the only complaints abou failures of Kodiaks were you and the people that tried to live full time out of them. Let's see any tent stand up to use as a full time house.
        correct i didnt use it as intended
        regardless fabric failed alot sooner than it should,
        since the kodiak i have been using a stick shelter with cheap store bought drop clothes/canvas as panels
        that untreated store bought canvas has held up better than the kodiak canvas,
        so far its been up for almost 2 years and only some rot on the bottoms where it contacts the ground
        reason its lasting longer than the kodiak is not the use but the fact that kodiak when set up stretches the canvas which weakens it,
        the drop cloth is just drapped over the shelter unstressed,

Comment

Modern quality polyester tents feature dual-wall construction, with an inner "breathable" layer to minimize condensation, and an outer waterproof layer to retain heat. Used in conjunction with a full-coverage rainfly, it retains heat in close comparison to a canvas tent, but with half the weight and reduced maintenance to minimize odor retention or rot, since it uses synthetic fabrics rather than treated cotton.
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

There's another aspect to canvas that is often overlooked. It's that canvas has a traditional look that's not really so traditional anymore, so it stands out in a crowd of multicolored, plastic looking domes and the somewhat rarer nylon cabins. I'm actually looking at bell tents now to further that departure from the norm.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
              There's another aspect to canvas that is often overlooked. It's that canvas has a traditional look that's not really so traditional anymore, so it stands out in a crowd of multicolored, plastic looking domes and the somewhat rarer nylon cabins. I'm actually looking at bell tents now to further that departure from the norm.

MacGyver - I've looked at Bell tents, but they just don't "fit" the style of camping I am currently doing which is 2-3 nights. Just too heavy and they chew up large amounts of space in the SUV. However, they sure are nice basecamp style tents.

Like you, I do like to break out of the "same old, same old" at the campsite, so I've been really leaning towards picking up a Pyramid 4 from My Trail Company or the predecessor model called the Yahmonite 5. This pyramid tent design is from the founder of the now defunct GoLite brand. This tent model was formerly called the Shangri-La 5 when it was manufactured/sold by GoLite. After GoLite went belly up, Big Agnes bought up the remaining stock/materials and rebadged the tent as the Big Agnes Yahmonite 5. You can still pick up a Yahmonite 5 via Campsaver's website in their outlet section. Currently at 35% off clearance, throw on the coupon code "outletgear15" to get another 15% off which brings the original MSRP of $600 down to $331. Link here: http://www.campsaver.com/outlet/yahm...erson-3-season

My Trail Company's Pyramid 4 (retail $399) is an updated model with slightly larger dimensions (4 inches each side) than either the Shangri La or Yahmonite. 9'4" x 9'4" footprint, 6'1" interior height. Single robust pole, fully protected inner mesh nest (you can use just the full fly in bug free conditions) and usable vestibule. Packs down small. Due to lightweight, yet strong fabrics, it weighs less than 6 pounds total (fly, nest, stakes, guylines, and stuff sacks). Really a tent that 2 people could hike/pack in if they split up the components and divvy up the weight. Truly huge square footage for the overall weight---and a palace for 2 campers. The pyramid shape and single supporting pole is one of, if not the best structure, against strong and variable winds (fun note...the dimensions of the tent are the same...in proportion...to the Pyramid of Giza in Egypt).

Link to the My Trail Co Pyramid 4: http://mytrailco.com/collections/ten...amid-4-shelter

Click image for larger version

Name:	pyramid4.jpg
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	70679
              Last edited by a65hoosier; 10-15-2016, 06:08 AM.
              2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
              Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
              Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
              Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post

It looks traditional to me (Sibley tent ptd. 1856) and widely used since by military organizations.

Personally, I have found heavy canvas to be warm and water resistant (not proof) although they get extremely heavy especially when wet ... rot doesn't enter in to it unless one is trying to use fabric in a semi-permanent structure; or the tent is not dried before packing (mildew has ruined more than a few tents (and not only canvas) for people over the centuries.
                I don't really worry about the material any more other than to verify U-V resistance and denier... I do require taped seams for water resistance though...If a modern tent leaks its pretty poorly made, IMO.

Having spent considerable time in domes and short to medium walled tents my newest has tall walls so that the floor space is completely useable (people can stand/sit erect anywhere in the tent).... its all just personal preference though.
                A hint; multiple tie downs around the edges do not make for the easiest nor quickest setup/breakdown.
                (Edit); more experience from the alaknak (Cabela's) and G-P small tents; a string/tiedown in front of the door is occasionally an irritant/in the way.
                A center pole is a mixed blessing; it can be used to hang things but; especially in a smaller tent, it can get in the way.
                Larger diameter (>~1/2") metal/wood pole sections (chained and sprung/shockcorded) while not a problem to haul are not a pleasure either.

Enjoy!
                Last edited by Happy Joe; 10-15-2016, 08:19 AM.
                2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I know those as "single pole" design tents, there are several variations out there. They're popular in deer season here for "spike camps" in the Sierras in different fabric variants.
                  “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                    I know those as "single pole" design tents, there are several variations out there. They're popular in deer season here for "spike camps" in the Sierras in different fabric variants.
                    Well, I just joined the ranks of single pole design tent owners. I've been watching the Yahmonite 5 (and it's smaller sibling the Yahmonite 3) show up briefly on clearance at Sierra Trading Post, Campsaver, (and at one time REI's outlet) for the past 12+ months. Listed for a few days, I'd oogle it...then it would be gone....and I would be bummed out because I had waited too long. No more oogling...I ordered the Big Agnes Yahmonite 5 today. After I receive it, I'll do a brief "what's in the box/set-up" review and then a followup review after I get a chance to take it out a few times.
                    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
                      MacGyver - I've looked at Bell tents, but they just don't "fit" the style of camping I am currently doing which is 2-3 nights. Just too heavy and they chew up large amounts of space in the SUV. However, they sure are nice basecamp style tents.

Like you, I do like to break out of the "same old, same old" at the campsite, so I've been really leaning towards picking up a Pyramid 4 from My Trail Company or the predecessor model called the Yahmonite 5. This pyramid tent design is from the founder of the now defunct GoLite brand. This tent model was formerly called the Shangri-La 5 when it was manufactured/sold by GoLite. After GoLite went belly up, Big Agnes bought up the remaining stock/materials and rebadged the tent as the Big Agnes Yahmonite 5. You can still pick up a Yahmonite 5 via Campsaver's website in their outlet section. Currently at 35% off clearance, throw on the coupon code "outletgear15" to get another 15% off which brings the original MSRP of $600 down to $331. Link here: http://www.campsaver.com/outlet/yahm...erson-3-season

My Trail Company's Pyramid 4 (retail $399) is an updated model with slightly larger dimensions (4 inches each side) than either the Shangri La or Yahmonite. 9'4" x 9'4" footprint, 6'1" interior height. Single robust pole, fully protected inner mesh nest (you can use just the full fly in bug free conditions) and usable vestibule. Packs down small. Due to lightweight, yet strong fabrics, it weighs less than 6 pounds total (fly, nest, stakes, guylines, and stuff sacks). Really a tent that 2 people could hike/pack in if they split up the components and divvy up the weight. Truly huge square footage for the overall weight---and a palace for 2 campers. The pyramid shape and single supporting pole is one of, if not the best structure, against strong and variable winds (fun note...the dimensions of the tent are the same...in proportion...to the Pyramid of Giza in Egypt).

Link to the My Trail Co Pyramid 4: http://mytrailco.com/collections/ten...amid-4-shelter

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5821[/ATTACH]
                      I'm not OP but thank you for such a good write up

Comment

Thanks JimmyRoss.

The Yahmonite 5 arrived via the big brown truck and I finally got the chance to set it up in the backyard for a shakedown and a trimming up by installing some guy lines and shockcord. Everyone sets a new tent before they take it out camping right? - lol.

Some pics:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161030_092214_zps4u6c24uz.jpg
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	70693Click image for larger version

Name:	20161030_091930_zpsxjcwtaaa.jpg
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	70694Click image for larger version

Name:	20161030_114910_zpszoex3amb.jpg
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	70695

sigpic

Comment

a65hoosier,

Nice tent pics! When are you going to take it out for its maiden voyage?

SW
                          "Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man, but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

http://www.stillnesswilderness.com

Comment

SW - Hopefully I will be able to get out and give it an overnight before Thanksgiving. I camp year round, but with the full mesh inner "nest", this tent may be overly drafty for more hardcore winter camping (although the single pole design is certainly strong enough to handle fairly tough conditions). I have other tents I typically take that are better suited for camping during the Indiana winter season.

sigpic

Comment

A65Hoosier, due to its full-coverage rainfly and dual-layer design, (unless the wind is blowing over 25MPH) I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised with the lack of draftiness of this tent.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                                A65Hoosier, due to its full-coverage rainfly and dual-layer design, (unless the wind is blowing over 25MPH) I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised with the lack of draftiness of this tent.
                                I think you may be right tp. I do have some adjustability on how close the fly is from the ground (relatively) due to being able to adjust the single support pole up or down. The all mesh inner "nest" doesn't provide much wind blocking should a good breeze sneak under the fly. Of course, I watched a few videos of users of this tent not even utilizing the inner tent in winter (no bugs) and just pitching the fly. For the most part, they had the bottom of the fly drawn fairly close to the ground in those conditions. Always a balancing act between good "condensation reduction" ventilation and too much ventilation (ie...a gale blowing thru the tent).
                                Last edited by a65hoosier; 11-08-2016, 12:16 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X