Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camp Lights?

Originally posted by tplife View Post
    Three coleman lanterns (with directional shades on them) on coleman tripods will light up the entire campsite at night. When we go to bed, we turn the lights out. We hope others do too...

Can't beat the Coleman lanterns. We generally carry 3 but since I collect and restore them I've been know to carry 6 or 8 and switch out nightly. Try to use reflectors when possible and turn them off at bedtime. Always have a flashlight at hand for all for those possible middle of night bathroom runs.

Comment

Personally, I never understood the need to light up a campsite at night as though one is located in the middle of a city or suburb. I camp to get away from such things...let the beauty of the night sky behold itself! (One of my pet peeves are people who leave the porch light on all night on the RV...).

That doesn't mean I don't use lights...lights are fine when you need them (i.e., when doing chores in camp after dark or to check on how done dinner is, etc) but after the chores are done the light goes off. The only time we leave a light on for extended periods may be a small light inside or outside the tent to aid in finding our campsite on the way back from a shower (only do this if the camp site isn't easy to locate in the dark). The lights I bring with me to camp are usually a couple of battery lanterns...one florescent for when I need a brighter light and the other an old school incandescent which emits a nice warm glow...my favorite one for use in the tent after retiring at night and am still awake while playing cards with my wife, etc. It's also the one I'll choose to use as the afore mentioned tent guide light. The other lights are a couple of small flashlights for lighting our paths when walking after dark.
      Where we've camped so far (as an adult...many more when I was a kid :-)

Comment

I like a small light when out sitting and talking - if there is no campfire. Other than that, I'm with caheaton, I like the night sky. Heck, I don't even have an outdoor light on my RV - I use a flashlight/lantern to see when I'm walking, then turn it out when I sitting.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I'm the same way as many of you. If I don't need a light to do a task, then no light. I do keep my headlamp around my neck and I always have a mini LED lantern. Between those two, I can cook, clean, setup camp, read, or whatever else. But I prefer the dark and campfire.

Comment

Just picked up a few of these solar lights you stick in the ground, they were $2 and are great to put near lines and stakes. I also got 2 of these MPOWERD Luci EMRG Inflatable Solar Lantern from Amazon, they are amazing and can be packaged flat (I brought them for our trip to Thai islands).

Comment

I fall into the "all of the above" category. Depends on the trip, where we're going and who/how many are coming along. Mainly headlamps and LED mini lanterns. I'm with NYCgrrl and really love my Snowpeak Mini-Hozuki lanterns. I have other LED lanterns also...but all of them must produce either a neutral white or warm tint light, like an incandescent bulb. I cannot stand an LED with a cold blueish tint. Those with blueish tint makes everything look like you're in the basement of some old hospital morgue.

I'll often also take an old vintage Coleman fuel lantern. Depending on the site...I'll dim it down or shut it off when we're settling down round the campfire. But it might also be roaring and lighting up the night if no one is around us and I'm doing camp chores or if it's early and we're playing cards/board games.
              2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
              Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
              Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
              Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

My set up this season for tent camping is a Might D Light LED140 that charges from USB. I carry it around the site. It can stand alone, hang from the tent ceiling or attach to the metal frame of my cot. http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...d/_863514.html
                Click image for larger version

Name:	863589.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	70024

and a USB Biolite Flex light that I run off a power brick that I keep in the tent for reading. It has a dimmer feature that is handy. http://www.biolitestove.com/products/biolite-flexlight

and a Rayz flashlight that stays in my pants pocket or the pocket on the outside of my sleeping bag http://products.hardwareandtools.com..._500217223.php

I used to have the little lights outside, but have gotten away from it.
                - Laura
                Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

nm
                  Last edited by hawkeyebob62; 06-15-2015, 04:57 PM. Reason: double-posted

Comment

Originally posted by chaznsc View Post
                    Hello - new to the forums.

We are tent camping again after a long pause. I am looking for some good campsite lights, like string lights, etc. I guess the plastic owls are out of style, so what has taken their place?

Thanks in advance, look forward to reading thru the forums.

chaz
                    (PS - Yes, I searched but came up nil)
                    Always been a big fan of campfire as "light". But we also use a string of nondescript Christmas lights and Coleman LED lanterns hung wherever convenient.

Comment

Be sure to check out the Solar Powered LED lights/Lanterns currently avail. I have a couple of the clear inflatable cubes and a couple of lights from SUAOKI....one is an expandable lantern-from the size of a hockey puck to small lantern and the other is a Tri Sided Light-both can be charged via USB OR Solar. I also carry a half dozen of the solar charged garden style lights that are Truly Magnificent in their tackiness-(Huge ugly Purple Tulips), that I delight in placing around my site...

Comment

Working...
                      X