Just can't stop myself...16 degrees outside and I'm tent camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just can't stop myself...16 degrees outside and I'm tent camping

Really typical Maryland weather here. Went camping Friday night and found out later that they'd broken a record for cold for that date. Got down to 5°F. The next day, the sun came up and all the snow quickly turned to soup as the temps went up to 40°+. Actually wound up doing a one-nighter because I got tired of walking through the slop.

Comment

Hey MacGyver - Nice Campsite! Seems private....guess record breaking cold does have some positives. None of your normal gang participated?

I'm going out this weekend with my son for a Boy Scout campout (I'm a Patrol Mentor). I won't get the private campsite setting (over 50 boys will be camping)...but I bet I'll get the slop effect. Our snow is rapidly melting and we're supposed to get rain throughout the remainder of the week. Forecast highs in the 50's, lows in the 30's. Ah, the joys of Spring weather...
      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I got tired of trying to get the boys together so I decided to go out myself. But, like I said, all was good until it all turned to soup. A damn shame - I'd taken out my first pair of snowshoes and was all prepared to do a little hiking just to see how good they were. But, as it was, I got what amounted to a good long nap, got to try out the freeze dried food I bought and just rolled out.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
          I got tired of trying to get the boys together so I decided to go out myself. But, like I said, all was good until it all turned to soup. A damn shame - I'd taken out my first pair of snowshoes and was all prepared to do a little hiking just to see how good they were. But, as it was, I got what amounted to a good long nap, got to try out the freeze dried food I bought and just rolled out.
          I remember you saying in an earlier post that you were having trouble getting everyone together. I was thinking this upcoming weekend I would get in a nice hike in an area I haven't visited before, but I fear the trails will be a slippery muddy mess.

What kind/brand of freeze dried food did you bring? Any good? I'm bringing Mountain House Chili Mac and their Beef Stew this trip (just in case the Scout menu is a fail) and my standard Tasters Choice Columbian instant stickpacs for my "before anyone else wakes up" early morning jolt. The Mountain House brand overall isn't too bad depending on which one you get, but they do run high on sodium. Their lasagna is pretty tasty, but the cheese they use sticks like glue on the spoon which makes it hard to clean (I often wonder what that cheese does to one's innards if it can keep such a tenacious hold on a spoon - lol).
          2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
          Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
          Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
          Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I had the Mandarin Orange Chicken from Natural High. Not real "orangey", but pretty good and filling nonetheless. I'm hoping the next trip out will be a better test of the food I bought. REI had a killer discount on top of already discounted food so I went nuts and bought about 3 dozen packs - breakfast, dinners and desserts. It's funny you mention the Mountain House lasagna and it's notoriously sticky cheese. Nearly every review I've ever seen for it says the same thing - Tastes great, but good luck getting the utensils clean. I love lasagna but won't even try theirs. I have the Natural High version, so I guess I'll see how that goes.

Comment

We have the Little Buddy as well. I had the same fear about it tipping over. Thanks for the tip about putting it in a container. We'll pop it in a bucket on our next trip.
              New to camping in So Cal!

Comment

Working...
              X