Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just can't stop myself...16 degrees outside and I'm tent camping

Originally posted by James. View Post
    ...but I was so worried about the stupid thing that I didn't get any sleep.
    James, that is a good point for me also to consider.
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Just got back from camping and I tried out the Little Buddy. The temps weren't real cold (lows of mid 40s), but it never got warm as there were non-stop storm clouds for the past 2 days and on and off rain.

How I used it:

Set it in the sink at the back of the 21ft RV with it facing into the RV. This way the heat was directed in, there was an open vent almost directly above it, it was as far away from the bird as possible, and if it fell over it was surrounded by metal.

Turned it on for 20 minutes to 2 hours at a stretch while I was awake. When not in use, I removed the bottle from the heater, placed the heater in the sink until it was cooled off, and moved the bottle away from it.

Performance:

It did warm things up. Sitting in the RV, my feet would be chilly in socks while I stretched out on the couch. After about 15 minutes, the heater warmed things up enough that my feet were warm without socks. I did close the curtains to the cab (it never got that warmed up). Also , because the heater was at mid-height and it angles the heat slightly upwards, it was warmer at head height much sooner. The cabover bunk was nice and cozy.

Having it set lower to the ground would be much more effective. With the dogs, I didn't want them hitting it, etc., so the sink is the only place I can safely place it.

The heater face gets very very hot. When it's not connected to the propane bottle, it won't stay upright. Therefore it is important to have a safe "fireproof" container for it to cool down in. With the propane bottle attached, it didn't fall over on its own, but if it got bumped, etc. it could easily fall over.

Overall, it worked well. Would have liked to have had colder weather to fully test it, but it definitely warmed up the RV - even with a window and vents open.

And the camping trip was great!
      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

toedtoes - Thank you for your follow-up on the Mr Heater Little Buddy. Appreciate it. I am still waffling on purchasing one of these...but I probably will ultimately go ahead. I do see myself only using it the way you do when camping (warm-up tent in the morning, in the evening, and always off for sleeping). I'll probably just set it down outside on the ground in the tent vestibule to allow it to cool off. I could also see using it around the house/garage for certain tasks or during tailgating.

The newly started thread by kcscout is a good one on the topic of these heaters (pros/cons).

Oh....good to hear your camping trip went great!
        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

It is great that you and your son will be camping with the Boy Scouts. The winter camp outs will be some of the most memorable. The more miserable it is the better. Just make sure everyone keeps dry.
          I use a Buddy Heater any time the temps drop below about 20. I just can't get comfortable enough to sleep with it on but it is great to be able to turn it on for a little bit before going to sleep and again in the morning. With a good pad on my cot and a good sleeping pad and I stay warm down to the single digit temperatures. If I do start to get cold a couple of the instant hand warmers in my sleeping bag will do wonders.

Comment

Diveralan - lol...yes, my first winter campout/Jamboree as a Boy Scout (a long long time ago) is still a fresh memory. Wrong sleeping bag, no pad, etc. The tent we used was canvas...no floor. My Scout buddy (my Dad didn't go with me) and I piled pine needles as our "insulating" layer under our sleeping bags and around the edges of the tent to block the wind. On top of the pine needles we laid out an emergency reflective blanket and slept on that in our bags. He at least had a mummy style down bag...mine was some synthetic bag that I used for summer camping with my folks. I froze. Didn't sleep much. It was the only time in my life that I have cuddled closely with another male...his sleeping bag/body at least somewhat blocked the wind blowing under the side of the tent, but it was a long miserable night.

However...as I think about it...even now...that Winter Jamboree truly was a great time, as were all of my Scout camp outs. I hope to provide him the same opportunity to have and create some great memories. Except I hope to spare him from the "cold" and "freezing" parts of a winter camp out that I experienced by being a bit more prepared.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
              We took it back as she wants to get the bigger one but I think I am going to get her a better sleeping pad and see if that helps.
              Last year we were camping in 9° weather. I had all four windows in the Kodiak open at least a foot and it was 72° inside the tent with the Buddy on high. But that's Maryland, where the temps run to some serious extremes. (Like Monday here was 70° and yesterday we had sleet and freezing rain) All that to say, I can't imagine your needing the Big Buddy in Arizona.

Comment

Carbon Monoxide Detector

As many of you know, it is a good idea to have a CO detector when using a propane heater. I am still too chicken to intentionally sleep with the heater on. It would be possible to mistakenly fall asleep with it on I suppose.
                When I awoke, the Dire Wolf
                Six hundred pounds of sin
                Was grinning at my window
                All I said was, "Come on in".

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                  Last year we were camping in 9° weather. I had all four windows in the Kodiak open at least a foot and it was 72° inside the tent with the Buddy on high. But that's Maryland, where the temps run to some serious extremes. (Like Monday here was 70° and yesterday we had sleet and freezing rain) All that to say, I can't imagine your needing the Big Buddy in Arizona.
                  Mostly I agree with you but my wife HATES being cold at night. It doesn't bother me so much....although early last year I froze my butt off on our first night of a camping trip. Don't know how cold it got and the second night was better for me.
                  “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                  – E. B. White

Comment

Re: Carbon Monoxide Detector

Originally posted by Oldcoyote View Post
                    As many of you know, it is a good idea to have a CO detector when using a propane heater. I am still too chicken to intentionally sleep with the heater on. It would be possible to mistakenly fall asleep with it on I suppose.
                    I bought a CO detector for that very reason. Like I said, HORRIBLE nights sleep with all the worry.
                    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                    – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                      ... I can't imagine your needing the Big Buddy in Arizona.
                      Had to smile. The coldest I've ever camped was in the back of my truck in KV just south of Flag. 30 below. Colder than I've seen it in the northern Rockies in the last 25 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Malamute View Post
                        Had to smile. The coldest I've ever camped was in the back of my truck in KV just south of Flag. 30 below. Colder than I've seen it in the northern Rockies in the last 25 years.
                        I went right past the smile, straight to laughing. Our gang of idiots went out years ago in 30 below. All I really remember from that trip is having to build a huge fire, then get all the vehicles close enough to it so they would start.

Comment

I lived in Minnesota a few years back and the winter was the best time to avoid the skeeters and ticks. I love camping in the winter! Much rather deal with the cold than the heat to be honest. Most folks there are pretty comfortable with being out in the cold, so there's always friends willing to go have a bonfire and and camp out.
                          Visit www.gearspoke.com for all of your rental needs!

Comment

Living in Florida temps don't get too cold for too long. Prefer the cold then the heat. But it doesn't get much colder then 30-40 in the winter.

Comment

I was once camping in Poland when there was -1 outside. But it wasn't very exciting, rather so so cold. This year decided to go to France Camping HELIOS, want to be safe it's gonne be worm there ;D

Comment

I was camping once in Italy in Septeber when there was +5, god it was cold. Did not enjoy that at all. This year decided to go to Camping HELIOS in July, to make my camping experience safe

Comment

Working...
                                X