Stove Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stove Info

Boy, I hope that's not the case! I just joined and this seemed to be the most active camping forum I could find... not many out there. :(
    Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

[QUOTE=05Kingquad700;33392]
      Originally posted by James. View Post

Yeah, I haven't seen any mod activity on this site in a while. I have seen some things that Reno would of deleted. Wonder if we are drifting.
      I think hogsnapper was taking over mod duties or sharing them with reno and now all of hog's posts are deleted. And I believe reno was ill; hope I'm wrong on that.
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

HogSnapper is still listed as a mod, but your right , his posts are gone. His last active date was dec of last year. Reno's last active date was dec also. I have noticed Jon Jon has been slightly more active. Wonder what's going on?
        I have kind of slacked off posting, cause it seems all we get is "I am new here can you recommend a tent" questions. I would like to see the trip report a little more active. I just post most pics to Facebook though.
        Nights camped in 2019: 24
        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

YEAH! The inmates are running the asylum!

Must resist urge to post something completely inappropriate.
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

I figure at some point they will at least tell me to shut up about it.
            No mods? Allow me. Shaddupaboudit!

Originally posted by david gossett View Post
            Thanks for all the great info. I feel a lot better now thanks.
            To further put your mind at ease, the next time you're using the stove, lift one corner slightly and put your hand under it. I think you'll be surprised at at how little heat is generated underneath.

Wonder if we are drifting.
            Is that like dispersed posting?

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
            And I believe reno was ill; hope I'm wrong on that.
            Amen to that!

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
            I would like to see the trip report a little more active.
            I can't begin to tell you how much I wish I could oblige. My #%$& truck has cost me a fortune - and made me miss three camping trips in the last 2 months. I started out last Friday, got 10 miles down the road and had to be towed home. The curse still isn't over! I'm losing what's left of my mind trying to get some time away. And it looks like they've flipped the Summer switch here which, for me, might mean I'll next be out in the Fall. :mad:

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post

I can't begin to tell you how much I wish I could oblige. My #%$& truck has cost me a fortune - and made me miss three camping trips in the last 2 months. I started out last Friday, got 10 miles down the road and had to be towed home. The curse still isn't over! I'm losing what's left of my mind trying to get some time away. And it looks like they've flipped the Summer switch here which, for me, might mean I'll next be out in the Fall. :mad:
              Shifting gears (see what I did there?) Whats wrong with your car? I ask because I am currently replacing the lower ball joints on my my wife's Durango. The latest in a loooooong line of car repairs that have popped up.
              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
              – E. B. White

Comment

Sorry to reply about stoves again but a friend has told me it is better to go with a gas stove than a propane. What do ya"ll think? Thanks
                David

Comment

My preference is for propane. Lantern as well as stove. A few reasons I can pack them anyplace in any position without the worry of spilling, No pumping dumping and pooring, and little to no smell when packed.

Comment

Originally posted by david gossett View Post
                    Sorry to reply about stoves again but a friend has told me it is better to go with a gas stove than a propane. What do ya"ll think? Thanks
                    David
                    Ask away!

Well, I prefer white gas or even a dual over propane yet it really is a personal choice. When I first started camping Coleman fuel was the norm and appealed to my tinkering sensibilities.

Here are the pros and cons of propane and white gas as I see it:

PROPANE

Easy to start in warm weather and less maintenance than white gas systems; more expensive fuel and larger fuel containers that need recycling.

WHITE GAS
                    4 season fuel; burns hotter and longer than propane. Less expensive. More end of season maintenance needed.

Choose yer fuel based on how you camp and maybe consider how you light your campsite as well.

HTH!
                    2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Thanks
                      David

Comment

Liquid fuel all the way. Once you are used to it you won't want "propain".

Comment

I'm a big white gas fan as well (or "Coleman fuel" as it is known in my family). Started with the white gas stove because of its reliability in cooler weather - and the speed of cooking (I assume it burns hotter?). As a result of going with a white gas stove....opted for a double mantel, white gas lantern.

I also picked up a similar sized double mantel lantern that uses the propane canisters in a yard sale - it was brand new, unopened. I'd be interested in others perspectives, but my white gas lantern is definitely brighter than its propane cousin (at least the ones I have).
                          Nights camping in 2014: 18
                          Nights camping in 2015: 24
                          Nights camping in 2016: 20

North Face Tadpole 23 - Mountain Hardwear Casa 6 - Guide Gear 18x18 Teepee

Comment

Originally posted by ArizonaSportsman View Post
                            I'm a big white gas fan as well (or "Coleman fuel" as it is known in my family). Started with the white gas stove because of its reliability in cooler weather - and the speed of cooking (I assume it burns hotter?). As a result of going with a white gas stove....opted for a double mantel, white gas lantern.

I also picked up a similar sized double mantel lantern that uses the propane canisters in a yard sale - it was brand new, unopened. I'd be interested in others perspectives, but my white gas lantern is definitely brighter than its propane cousin (at least the ones I have).
                            The only reason I don't use white gas for lighting anymore is I'm the only household member who knows how to turn it on and maintain it. Don't mind being solo in my ability to turn on the stove but puhleese don't bother me to turn on a light:rolleyes:. We violate my rule about too many fuel sources and use battery operated lights- how giddy for the control freaks amongst us...oops:D.
                            2017:

Comment

Originally posted by frank6160 View Post
                              Liquid fuel all the way. Once you are used to it you won't want "propain".
                              I see what you did there.
                              – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                              X