Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New to camping

Originally posted by kcscout View Post
    Fun stuff for kids seems to be cooking around a campfire... so if you can consider not doing a stove but a grill or similar and cooking on an open flame... plus always fun to sit around a fire versus a propane stove. In addition to things for the kids to do, some of the fun could be exploring the area, looking for firewood, and keep everyone busy and having fun too. Make sure everyone has a chair, a flash light, water bottle, bring extra T.P., paper towels, Make sure you have ample food / drinks and I like to try to get the kids fishing too, but that seems like more work than what I typically like to do. (From experience) Then part of the time could be them kicking around a ball / chasing each other in games of tag or made up games and you kicking back in a chair and enjoying the outdoors. I also suggest a plastic tub so that you can pack most of your stuff in it and it will all be easy to access, pack, carry, and water proof (and don't forget to have options or planning in place in case it rains so it isn't a bummer but the fun can continue)
    I am going to add to this list a whistle and a head lamp for each kid. If they get lost the whistles can come in handy and the head lamps are just fun at night (not to mention handy) especially when heading to the bathroom in the dark. Keeps the hands free.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
      I am going to add to this list a whistle and a head lamp for each kid. If they get lost the whistles can come in handy and the head lamps are just fun at night (not to mention handy) especially when heading to the bathroom in the dark. Keeps the hands free.
      Just, PLEASE, make sure they understand the importance of the fact that the whistle is an emergency call, not to be played with. It's not fun to hear an emergency call at night, get half dressed and climb out of your tent to run to the emergency, only to find a couple of kids playing with their whistle.The head lamp requires a bit of responsibility as well. I don't know if people just forget they're wearing one, or don't realize what they're doing, but tend to look at you and flash you dead in the eyes- blinding you, or at least disrupting your eyes' acclimation to the dark. The same holds true for flashlights, but doesn't seem as common. BTW, you don't need a flashlight to see at night, other than if you're looking in a storage bin for something, or for the few minutes in your tent before going to bed, maybe if looking through some brush for firewood. But you REALLY don't need a flashlight to walk down the road of a manicured campground to the well lit bathhouse. You can see those few square feet that are lit, and nothing outside of it. Try not using one for a night, and see how much better you can see (lol- see what I did there, and see it here also?) without the light, I promise you'll be glad you did.

Comment

Camping equipment

hello,
        really so much appreciate blog. camping tent is looking awesome. what a great ideas are you consider in this post. You make a great point. Got some great info here. I think that if more people thought about it that way, they'd have a better time get the hang ofing the issue.

Comment

Hi, I recently did a couple videos on an affordable stove by Northwest Territory. You can find them on my Youtube channel page @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG9...d-X-L1DgW4xWdw . I think it's a good place to start, and for $35 its not bad. I'm not here to spam, but figured I would share since I couldnt find anything out about this particular stove, so I made my own vids... More to come on it too. Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
          X