New to camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to camping

Hi all I am going to try tent camping with my 3 boys. 13,9,7, I am 49 so this sould be fun. I hope, The wife wants to stay home. Any pointers would be great. I think I have everything but a stove still looking. I hope to find one soon the weather here in Wilmington NC is getting better all the time. But any poiters would be great. thanks for the help.
    David

Re: New to camping

check thrift stores and craigslist for a Coleman fuel stove and lantern. You won't regret it. If you are "car" camping pack an extra tarp or two. Has saved many trips for me. will give you a spot out of passing showers to cook, hang out ect besides inside your tent.

Comment

sounds like fun
      activities for the kids,
      if your car camping, most car sites have a pit of some sorts, may not need a stove,
      keep your meals simple so you dont spend all day preparing the meals,
      burritos, burgers, etc...
      fishing and cooking up your catch,
      make a simple hike an adventure,

Comment

Hi david and welcome!

Have you decided what kind of tent camping you want to do? Dispersed, state park, car, hike in and out, some other form? Different types need slightly different equipment.
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I am wanting to go to a state park, there are a lot of them around here. I don't want water or elc. just a little ruff as I am disabled so I can't do a lot walking. I just pick up a tent at yard sale a 12x10 should be ok for the 4 of us, I hope. I do have minvan so I have extra room for stuff. Thanks for the replys
          David

Comment

The biggest misconception about camping is that there is a right way or a wrong way. If you are outdoors, spending time with the ones you love, that's the right way. Just get out and make some memories with your boys. Suggestions, sure, start off as cheap as possible to make sure it's going to be something you want to do. Do a backyard campout to make sure the kids are going to like it. Take everything you would to go camping. If you have to go inside for something , put it on your list.
            Nights camped in 2019: 24
            Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
              The biggest misconception about camping is that there is a right way or a wrong way. If you are outdoors, spending time with the ones you love, that's the right way. Just get out and make some memories with your boys. Suggestions, sure, start off as cheap as possible to make sure it's going to be something you want to do. Do a backyard campout to make sure the kids are going to like it. Take everything you would to go camping. If you have to go inside for something , put it on your list.
              This is a great idea. At the very least make sure you set the tent before you go to make sure all the parts are working and you know how to set it up. I just flew out of NC and wish I could have got some time outdoors.
              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
              – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by david gossett View Post
                I am wanting to go to a state park, there are a lot of them around here. I don't want water or elc. just a little ruff as I am disabled so I can't do a lot walking. I just pick up a tent at yard sale a 12x10 should be ok for the 4 of us, I hope. I do have minvan so I have extra room for stuff. Thanks for the replys
                David
                I'm always amazed how many municipalities, counties and states latched on to the federal Conservation Corps idea during the Great Depression; showed foresight:cool:. A 12x10 should be fine for the 4 of you. Don't forget that if the camp site has a fire ring or grill on site you've the means to cook with. Just place an oven rack over the fire pit and yer good to go.
                2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Absolutely MUST HAVE closed cell foam pads ! They cut the temps from the ground that can be cold even in the summer. That is if you really want to sleep ! Walmart has them but better get them now - I just replaced one and Walmart only had a few. n

Comment

Hello, and welcome! The best suggestion I can offer to a new camper, is to camp in your back yard a couple of times first. Keep notes of what you need to add to your equipment. If the back yard is not an option, stay close to home on your first few trips. As others have said, keep the meals simple, and easy to cook. Most elaborate meals can be prepared at home, and heated when you are ready, cutting down on prep time. Plan activities around the kids, the more they enjoy camping, the more you will.

Comment

About those activities for the kids...besides whatever the state park offers and keeping in mind the age of your kiddos, I'd suggest dragging along those wheeled toys they prolly have at home. Like a skateboard. or Razor. or roller skates. Got the space? Bring a bike w/ basket or back flap and and that way the older ones can go to the campstore and pick up the wood for night time fires. Keeps them involved in how the camp site functions whilst having fun. Camping is a wonderful time to bring out the board games or a deck of cards. A pair of binoculars gives hours of nature enjoyment; started my grand grrlie out with a plastic cased one and moved on to a really nice one from CL in time. Another site specific job for kiddies? Give them a shopping bag and set them to finding easily burned pinecones, twigs, pine needles. It's a nature lesson disguised as fun. They will learn that closed pinecones dont burn as readily as opened ones; that various bugs depend on them for food and shelter and whatever other questions enter their inquisitive minds. Reading 'ghost stories' around the campfire nightly; I started with reading her the 'Goosebump' books and now we are up to each of us reading a chapter of 'The Legend of Sleepy Hollow' per night.
                      2017:

Comment

Along with all the good advice so far, I'll add one thing - Don't get discouraged if everything doesn't go as planned. Even people who have been camping for years (and years and years) run into problems from time to time. It can take some time to learn what things work and what things don't. Look at it as a learning experience for you and your boys and enjoy the outdoors!
                        Last edited by MacGyver; 03-14-2014, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Good advice offered so far.

I will attempt to offer my .02 worth.

One thing that I have done for the past few months has been to compile a list. Actually I have two lists. One list is my wish list. The wish list is comprised of things that I would like to purchase. The other list is a list of items that I need to add to make my camping trip complete. If I don't write it down then I tend to forget about it. Example.....I read an article that mentioned adding some sort of toothache gel like Orajel to the camping supplies. Why? It can be used for bug bites to make the itch go away. With two little boys that might come in handy.

I am planning on hitting up as many garage sales and auctions as I can to see if I can find items on my wish list on the cheap.

The state parks around here have programs really geared to promote youth and family. Geocaching is really popular and I know my family will have fun with it this summer.

Our family will be bringing our bikes on many camping trips as MN has miles upon miles upon miles of paved trails which connect most of the state.

With my young boys we like to set up scavenger hunts. It's both entertaining and educational.

Most importantly? We will be together as a family hanging out in the great outdoors with no televisions or cell phones or iPads or other distractions that normally surround us. My boys can explore and learn about nature and together we create forever lasting memories.

To sum up.......here is a verse from one of my boys favorite songs by the Okee Dokee Brothers. "We don’t need no outlets, we don’t need no wires
                          Primetime entertainment will be lightnin’ bugs and fires
                          Lets just keep it simple, unplugged and outside
                          Sound waves on the water don’t need to be amplified."

All while sleeping in a thousand star hotel.
                          Last edited by gmann; 03-14-2014, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the great repleys. I can't wait to get out with the boys. I will set everything up in the backyard and camp a few nights. Thanks again.
                            David

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                              Along with all the good advice so far, I'll add one thing - Don't discouraged if everything doesn't go as planned. Even people who have been camping for years (and years and years) run into problems from time to time. It can take some time to learn what things work and what things don't. Look at it as a learning experience for you and your boys and enjoy the outdoors!
                              Lol..guarenteed that everything will NOT go right. Thats where the best memories come from
                              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                              – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                              X