Hello all, new here... looking for suggestions on a new tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hello all, new here... looking for suggestions on a new tent

We have a Meramac 3 room tent. It is made by Alps Mountaineer. We love it! It came with the fly for extra rain protection. Another cool feature is that the door on it hinges to the side which makes it a lot easier to carry everything inside. They run around $360 but are durable, very roomy, and pretty easy for two people to set up fairly quickly. If you are interested I have attached a link to them. Happy Camping!!
    campingandcarts

Comment

We have a Meramac 3 room tent made by Alps Mountaineering and we love it!! It has lots of room. It came with the fly for added rain protection. Even with heavy rains we haven't had any problems with floor leaks, etc. One cool feature is that the door hinges to the side which makes it a lot easier to carry everything inside. They run about $360. If you are interested I have attached a link to them.
      Happy Camping!
      campingandcarts

Comment

Hi pstevens and congratulations on your new baby!
        Here's a thread from last year that speaks of the Copper Canyon:

http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...=Copper+Canyon

to the review I wrote then I'll add that I'm pretty sure I have a CCanyon that is 10*12 also known as a Copper Canyon 8. It comfortably fits a queen air mattress and 2 cots or 1 queen mattress and 2 twin air mattresses. I should also point out that the optional footprint from Eureka is a hunk of expensive flimsy junk. You'd be better served purchasing a no name plastic tarp that's about a foot shorter on both sides than the tent's dimension. Stopped using the floor from my screen room as a foot print last year and bought a blue tarp from REI last summer. It was a foot longer than the tent so I folded it UNDER (under keeps rainwater from puddling beneath the tent)at the edge to make it fit. Think I paid about 20 bucks for it during a clearance sale.

HTH and have lot's of fun out there this summer
        Last edited by NYCgrrl; 03-05-2014, 07:23 PM.
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Hey pstevens, great question. The simplest answer is because I haven't gotten down that far on the list yet! They are 3rd up after Black Diamond and Kelty. The list is in no particular order - I just added as they came to mind.

I've been doing some streamlining of the process for the past few weeks, and have to revise the existing offerings but am back to adding new entries this week. Stay tuned!
          Browse and compare (nearly) all available camping tents - The Tent Finder

Comment

Hi pstevens, I just dropped by to let you know that I've updated my site with REI's 2014 camping tents. They're listed on their own page and included throughout the site to allow you to compare them with tents by other companies.

Here is the entire list of REI tents.

And for convenience, here is a link comparing all of the tents listed on the site.

You'll notice that the TTF Score (The Tent Finder Score - an overall tent rating) for these tents is currently 0, and that's because the algorithm that I'm using now requires waterproof ratings for the tent fly and floor. REI doesn't list the specific mm ratings for their tents on their website, but does state the denier of the fabrics they use, and that they are waterproof - just now how waterproof.

I'm updating the algorithm so that it will still rate the tent if some other features are absent, but right now you'll have to rely on manually comparing features between tents. Just thought I'd let you know!

Happy tent hunting,
            Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Palmer View Post
              Hi pstevens, I just dropped by to let you know that I've updated my site with REI's 2014 camping tents. They're listed on their own page and included throughout the site to allow you to compare them with tents by other companies.

Here is the entire list of REI tents.

And for convenience, here is a link comparing all of the tents listed on the site.

You'll notice that the TTF Score (The Tent Finder Score - an overall tent rating) for these tents is currently 0, and that's because the algorithm that I'm using now requires waterproof ratings for the tent fly and floor. REI doesn't list the specific mm ratings for their tents on their website, but does state the denier of the fabrics they use, and that they are waterproof - just now how waterproof.

I'm updating the algorithm so that it will still rate the tent if some other features are absent, but right now you'll have to rely on manually comparing features between tents. Just thought I'd let you know!

Happy tent hunting,
              Matt
              Matt.. thanks for the TTF definition. Was wandering around your site and saw no explanation of the scoring. Maybe adding a paragraph on in would help. 'Course maybe I just missed seeing it....gosh nowwww I'm wondering if someone makes camo eyeglass frames.
              2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
              Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                Matt.. thanks for the TTF definition. Was wandering around your site and saw no explanation of the scoring. Maybe adding a paragraph on in would help. 'Course maybe I just missed seeing it....gosh nowwww I'm wondering if someone makes camo eyeglass frames.
                You're absolutely right - right now there is no definition of the TTF score, but my plan is to include a "Start Here" page that replaces the "Find YOUR Tent" button in the homepage banner. I'll have a link to "All Tents" from there (in addition to the traditional menu), but I'm completely in agreement that there needs to be a quick "primer" describing some of the terms, the TTF score, how to use the site, my goals etc. for new visitors.

This, along with improving what I call the "node" pages (the Brand, Use, Capacity parent pages), and setting up live pricing are the 3 main goals that I have before really launching and promoting the site.

Thanks for the feedback, it is much appreciated and always welcome!

Comment

You can look on Craigslist too. Bargains can certainly be found on Craigslist.

I did have two Craigslist fails with tents so far. The first was a tent that was too old and had too much exposure. I did see it set up before I bought it, but since I had never seen it new, I did not realize it was faded by sun and weathering. When I set it up at home to prep it for use, it just shredded

The second disaster was when I met the seller one very cold and windy day at a gas station parking lot. Too cold to stand outside talking and far too windy to even unroll the tent. I took the sellers word that the tent was in good shape, paid him, and left. Turns out the tent was moldy throughout

So, you can get good stuff on Craigslist, but buyer beware and check out the tent already set-up before you pay and take it home

Comment

Hi - Hope I'm not too late. We're a family of 5 and we fit fine in an Ozark Trail 10 person tent. I bought it new from eBay for $90 (regularly $130 from Walmart). Now this tent is not a Coleman! But it serves us well in the late spring, summer and early fall. It's dimensions are 11 feet x 18 feet and can be divided into 3 room. Although it's relatively sturdy and easy to erect, it's not the best on the market. It's perfect for us families of 5. Check it out. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                    X