Hello all, new here... looking for suggestions on a new tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all, new here... looking for suggestions on a new tent

Hello, our family just grew to 5 (myself, my husband, son-17, daughter- 6, and son- 6months) last summer, therefore I was unable to go camping at all last summer, for the first time in many years. I am going through withdrawal and am already looking forward to lots of camping this summer to make up for it, lol.

Only issue is that our Coleman blue springs tent has taken a number and we feel we need a new one. A couple that we have considered (on a budget) are the Coleman 8 or 10 person instant tent (as ease of set up is a biggie since we have the little one now), and the Eureka Copper Canyon 8 person. We obviously need bigger, 8 or 10 person or more, want something that will last and hold up in rain, and again be easy to set up. With the little free time I have (with having a wild 6 month old to take care of) I've tried doing my homework on what to look for, but wanted some input, if anyone has some...

Thanks so much! :cool:

Re: Hello all, new here... looking for suggestions on a new tent

Being on a budget and looking for a durable tent that will handle adverse weather is a tough call. Durability and "weatherability" seem to run right along with cost. I've had any number of hobbies over the years and have found that the old adage of 'buy cheap, buy twice' almost always applies. You can get something that will work for a while or you can get something that works and lasts.

The tents I would recommend aren't in the price range of either of the tents you mentioned. Neither of those has a full rain fly which, at least to me, is the first thing to look for when trying to keep rain out. You could use a large tarp to get around that issue but that negates the ease of setup you're looking for. From what I've seen from the people in my camping circle, the Colemans don't seem to do too well in rain, although I'll admit that the people using them probably haven't done any seam sealing.

I don't know if it would work for you, but when I recently upgraded my camping gear, I went crazy selling on craigslist to get the extra cash I needed to get what I wanted. Like everything else, more money seems to give you more options.

Comment

Thanks so much for the reply, MacGyver. I thought about looking on craigslist also, just worried that I'll get something that's been abused and has hidden issues. But I guess I could make it a point to see it set up. Which tents would you recommend? I need something big enough (8-10person, to fit a queen air bed, a cot, a pack-n-play and all our necessities)

Comment

Just go through this forum thread or the general camping thread. There is a "sticky" on the coleman instant tent, that covers that tent pretty well. I would read the amazon reviews of the eureka. We have some people that have the Eureka and have given good reviews on it.
        The only thing I have to say is, if you go with a instant tent, don't buy it from Walmart. Walmart wants a lower cost, so manufactures seem to cut corners on quality to achieve the lower price. If you go to Wally worlds site and amazons, you will see the amazon tent has over 500 reviews at a 4.5 rating. You will also see different manufacturer part numbers. This (I believe) is because the walmart version is of lower quality for a cheaper price.
        Last edited by 05Kingquad700; 02-02-2014, 08:19 AM.
        Nights camped in 2019: 24
        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Hi pstevens, I agree completely with MacGyver. Cost is always something to consider, but I've found that many people overvalue it when looking for a new tent. When you're actually out in the woods with rain pouring down cost is the furthest thing from your mind. You want a high waterproof rating, a full rainfly and like MacGyver said seam sealing would be really nice.

I've run into the same problems as you when looking for a new tent, so I'm currently working on a website that groups all major tent brands together. If you're looking for a good recreation tent I'd recommend this post I just wrote. In the larger tent category, for my money one of the best I've found is the Yahi Annex 6+2 from Sierra Designs (best size and quality for the weight and price). I gave honourable mention to Coleman's Montana 8, but their waterproofing specs are just lacking across the board.

If neither of those work for you, I've got sortable lists of recreation tents for you to look through, or you might also find the groupings by size helpful (6-person and 8-person if you're interested).

In the spirit of being transparent, I've set the site up to link to my Amazon affiliate account, so if you find the information helpful and end up buying through any of the links I would certainly appreciate it, but by no means is it required. I know what it's like to be itching to get out there! I hope you guys find some time this summer to do just that.

All the best and happy camping!
          Browse and compare (nearly) all available camping tents - The Tent Finder

Comment

I was told by Coleman a few years ago when I inquired about a a similar question on a different model that all their tents were made the same. They (Wal_Mart) buy in such large quantities that they get huge discounts therefore can sell them for less.

Comment

I know I used my rei rebate to buy a coleman lantern at rei. I had been looking at the Wally World version. I noticed the rei version was gray & green and the Wally World was red. Then I started looking at the lumen output and the rei was higher. The rei lantern also felt stouter. The Wally World was cheaper. I notice the rei also said signature series. So I figured that had something to do with it. Then some people said they were getting a rain fly with their instant tents and some were not.
              I posted a thread on the difference in quality of coleman products. I will have to find it.
              Nights camped in 2019: 24
              Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

We were in the same situation last year. We began by looking at the cheaper tents, including the Colemans. But after doing some research we decided that we'd be better off spending more money and getting something better. We narrowed it down to the Copper Canyon 8, REI Kingdom 8, North Face Mountain Manor 8, and the Big Agnes Flying Diamond 8. We ended up getting the Mountain Manor 8 mainly because we like having the option of sectioning off separate rooms, and it was the biggest. We have really like it. It has a full coverage rain fly, is very well ventilated, aluminum poles, and lots of space.

The biggest advantage of the Coleman instant tents over the ones I've mentioned is the ease of setup. Ours isn't difficult to setup, but it does take time, and it really does take 2 people just due to the size. It probably takes us a good 20 minutes to set it up. But after that, I think the tents I listed have all the advantages over the Colemans. Good Luck!

Comment

Just about every family has enough money to spend on a good tent. The difference in price between a good tent and an average tent is only $200. That is less than two nights in a mid-grade hotel with the family. I have never ever regretted paying extra for good equipment, but I have often regretted buying poor quality even at the lowest of prices.

You have a six month old child. You will be able to use the tent for at least twelve more years.

Buy a Eureka or a Big Agnes from a reputable seller like REI or by a tent from Cabella's. If it leaks or you don't like it, bring it back. If it is a toss-up, pick the tent that has less poles.

Comment

Mike is right, definitely get advice from the Pros at REI before you buy, particularly if you're buying a tent with the Eureka! name on it - they sell tents in every quality level from none-whatsoever to 4-season expedition grade. Tents larger than 6-man limit site selection and are a lot harder to set up - might I suggest a 4-man in say low-end grade like a Eureka Tetragon and a 6-man tent from one of the quality names. Later you can upgrade the 4-man to a better brand and keep it as a "loaner" as we do. Outside of stoves and lanterns (and my pie iron!) I don't like the quality of the tents that Coleman sells - we want quality that lasts and stands up to years of hard use and abuse in our local mountains and deserts. Quality brands carry names like Marmot, Big Agnes, Mountain HardWear, NorthFace, REI, EMS, Sierra Designs, and Kelty among them. They all have certain features in common, like 2-wall designs, full-coverage rain flies (coleman tents don't), anodized aluminum poles, color coded corners, bathtub floors, polyester and/or nylon construction, clip attachments for some of the inner body, and lifetime guarantees. There are a couple of quality tents in canvas (single wall) as some on these forums will assure you with names like Springbok and Kodak. Just understand they take a bit more care and weigh in at twice as much. The cheap big-box tents are great for the occasional trip in mild weather, but the more you like going camping the less you want to buy one of them again. We buy our gear new off Ebay when needed, but following auctions and researching designs is not everyone's cup of tea.
                    Last edited by tplife; 02-06-2014, 06:08 PM.
                    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Excellent advice and references, tplife

Comment

Hi there

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions.... We are still doing our homework, but have decided to go with a better quality tent, as most of you suggested. So far we've liked the REI Kingdom 8, the Copper Canyon 8, Marmot Limestone 8, and Cabela's Bunkhouse 9. I would love love love to go to an REI to talk to someone... but the closest one to us is over 300 miles/6-7 hours away :( . I think if we do by from REI I want to get the membership, because we'd get back more than what the membership is worth, lol.

Again, thank you all.... I'll keep you posted.

Comment

I just answered you on the other thread, but here's a little hint. As long as you order 50.00 at a time they ship for free, so you can streach it out over a few months.
                            Nights camping in 2013-----12
                            Nights camping in 2014----- 4
                            Nights camping in 2015------8

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Palmer View Post

I've run into the same problems as you when looking for a new tent, so I'm currently working on a website that groups all major tent brands together. If you're looking for a good recreation tent I'd recommend this post I just wrote. In the larger tent category, for my money one of the best I've found is the Yahi Annex 6+2 from Sierra Designs (best size and quality for the weight and price). I gave honourable mention to Coleman's Montana 8, but their waterproofing specs are just lacking across the board.

If neither of those work for you, I've got sortable lists of recreation tents for you to look through, or you might also find the groupings by size helpful (6-person and 8-person if you're interested).
                              Thanks! I did check them out.... just wondering though, how come there are no REI tents on there?

Comment

Working...
                              X