Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help With Latern

Originally posted by Mike View Post
    Wow, $150 for that Tulip light... I don't know. That seems too much for a camp light IMO, but if you aren't on a budget, why not!
    Yeah, that's definitely NOT in keeping with my minimalist style :-) I'll stick with my $10 candle lantern.
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

The price of the Tulip and smaller light have gone up since my June 2013 purchase; pulled my receipt up to dble check:

Item Ordered Shipped Price Tulip Lantern 1 1 $119.96 Glow in the Dark Ropes-3 mm x 20m 1 1 $12.95 Repel Mosquito 30% Deet Wipes 2 2 $5.99 Tenacious Tape-Clear 1 1 $4.99 Mini Hozuki-Gray/Green 1 1 $31.96
      In contrast, I've paid in excess of $200.00 for 3 bulkier, different 'dinna work properly w/i 2 seasons' lanterns; don't wanna pull up those other receipts as they'd be sure to depress me(2 Cabela's; 1 Coleman). As a side issue I've noooooo idea why Coleman doesn't make a carrying case for it's battery operated lamps and was rather tired of telling them so. Course that's no longer an issue for me to pursue.

Personally, I do think this lamp supports a minimalist life style. I can use it for backpacking, car camping, RVing and as a task light at home. Long lived and gives off a truer light than prior camping lamps. Given my lack of garage/ attic storage and current need to to rent cars to go camping..yeahh it's pretty minimal for my perhaps unique needs:D.
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

For the minimalist, the headlamps they're putting out these days put out a lot of light for their small size. And, as long as you don't keep them on their highest setting they seem to run forever. I've been using the Nite-ize gear Ties to hang up all kinds of gadgets. You could easily use one to rig a headlamp to hang from a tree and point in any direction you need.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
          For the minimalist, the headlamps they're putting out these days put out a lot of light for their small size. And, as long as you don't keep them on their highest setting they seem to run forever. I've been using the Nite-ize gear Ties to hang up all kinds of gadgets. You could easily use one to rig a headlamp to hang from a tree and point in any direction you need.
          I'm a big fan of using a headlamp instead of a lantern these days. I even gave my trusty ol Coleman white gas lantern to my nephew a few months back.

Comment

I do use a 1-oz Petzl headlamp for hiking. The candle lantern is for car camping. It collapses down to a cylinder about the size of a roll of silver dollars and will burn 8 or 9 hours on one candle.
            2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
              I do use a 1-oz Petzl headlamp for hiking. The candle lantern is for car camping. It collapses down to a cylinder about the size of a roll of silver dollars and will burn 8 or 9 hours on one candle.
              I have a couple of the REI candle lanterns and I do use those. The soft glow of the candle flame is nice for general camp illumination.

As I've gotten older I tend to dislike the harsh light from mantle or LED lanterns and use them less and less. If I need more light for a task like cooking or mixing cocktails then the headlamp is handy and provides enough light without lighting up the whole campground.

Comment

I use the headlamps at my job all the time. They are very handy when crawling/climbing through attics. I just get the cheap-o ones from home depot and they work great with the exception that they can get a little warm. Usually doesn't bother me to much as I am already sweating in the attic and don't notice the extra bit of heat but when I am using it inside a dark house my forehead will start to sweat if I leave it on too long.

This actually reminds me that I need to pick some up for my wife and daughter to use on our next camping trip.
                “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                – E. B. White

Comment

The led flashlights these days put out an amazing amount of light but a coleman gas lantern or an old fashioned kerosine lantern seem more in the camping way of doing things.

Comment

Working...
                  X