Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is "Durable Tent" an oxymoron?

ppine...I want to go!!!! ;-)

I have tried to talk Tina into going up around Vedauwoo during the winter, but she won't buy into it. I really love that part of the country.

Comment

Madman,
      Are you talking about SE Wyo? I used to live in Laramie, and we were always waiting for a nice day to go up to Vedauwoo and build a fire. Sometimes it takes a lot of waiting. I miss the Snowy Range and the N Platte River.

The one thing that is hard on canvas is being stored in wet and warm conditions. Mildew and rot will eventually ensue.

I have had a Sierra Designs tent for over 20 years that is still like new after a lot of use.

For long-term tent use I would put up an extra tarp to keep the UV light off of any tent. That is what breaks down the fabric and stiching more than anything else, especially at altitude.
      Last edited by ppine; 10-07-2013, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Thank you for all the input. I went ahead and ordered a new tent that actually wasn't recommended and most of you will think I'm crazy for getting. But it is made with quality materials and has my desired requirements. Plenty of headroom and about a 10 X 10 floor. The manufacturer has a great reputation, and I purchased it at 40% off from a reseller with a great reputation and return policy. I bought the Paha Que Pamo Valley 6 from Backcountry.com.

Yes, I am aware that it does not have a full rainfly. I do see that the walls are huge and vertical and will act like a sail. But I could not find one review complaining about leaking. And my hope is that by properly staking it out with oversized stakes, that it will hold firm in any windy conditions encountered. Not planning on taking it to Everest :^)

If this doesn't work. I'll probably get a Springbar Traveler 5 (with a big tarp over it) as a last resort. I'm sure that full rainfly's are awesome come severe weather, but I just can't bring myself to purchase a tent without internal zip windows on multiple sides. And the dome designs sacrifice much headroom along the edges. Also some of the other manufacturers recommended earlier in this thread really seem to focus their efforts on making their tents lightweight for backpacking. Those tents seem sturdy enough for 4 man tent or smaller. But the larger tents really don't seem that sturdy as the poles look too thin for the structure at that point. And I really don't need to be paying a premium for lightness. Other recommendations like the canvas tents in hunting magazines are too much of a hassle to assemble and take down. So unless something more promising comes up, these two tents will be the last. Keeping fingers crossed that the Paha Que will last a long time. Thanks again for all the feedback and recommendations.

ppine, the extra tarp overhead is a great idea. I started using one on the Kodiak and will try to do so with the new tents too.
        Last edited by yogiyoda; 10-07-2013, 07:39 PM.

Comment

That looks like a FANTASTIC tent. It's a family-style cabin tent done right. Quality fabrics. All seam-sealed. Beefy 7/8th inch diameter aluminum poles. Looks like a winner to me.

I'd spend the time to fully rig it with guy lines -- at least one per corner and one mid-point of each side -- and you should be set for any weather I would want to camp in. From reading the materials and specs, you shouldn't have to worry about leaks.

Comment

BTW. I agree with the tarp idea. Sunlight and UV is what really kills tents and it doesn't matter how expensive the tent if they are pitched day after day after day. Wouldn't have to be much of a tarp. Even a lightweight tarp like a Kelty Noah's tarp would be enough to put shade over the tent and block a lot of the UV.

Or, just use the rainfly that came with the tent and buy a replacement fly when needed.

Comment

If you're worried about a lack of guylines on any tent, it's fairly simple to add loops of webbing to add attachment points. Even if you can't do it yourself, I can't imagine that there aren't good tailors close to where you live that can do it for you.

Comment

Looks like that tent has plenty of guy points. One at each corner, one at each midpoint. Run one from each corner inline with the pole and one straight out from each midpoint. Should be solid.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I should be setting up the new tent on Thursday. I'm excited to see how it fares. It may be a while before it sees a decent storm though.
                  Last edited by yogiyoda; 10-08-2013, 05:51 AM.

Comment

You did some careful research before laying your money down, that puts you miles ahead and more likely to experience the great outdoors with a front-row seat!
                    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by hwc1954 View Post
                      BTW. I agree with the tarp idea. Sunlight and UV is what really kills tents and it doesn't matter how expensive the tent if they are pitched day after day after day. Wouldn't have to be much of a tarp. Even a lightweight tarp like a Kelty Noah's tarp would be enough to put shade over the tent and block a lot of the UV.
                      Agreed.

Side benefit. I have the Kelty Noah 16. We had some extended family join us just for the evening of our family camping trip. It was calling for rain. We tied to four trees and used a ridgeline. It kept 8 people dry, with plenty of room for a long picnic table and some extra chairs. So it's nice to have the versatility of putting it over your tent or over your eating area. I camp about 10 days a year, so no need for me to put it over my tent. Plus I pick shaded campsites, so there is no concern of UV.
                      Please, somebody, anybody, help my Chicago Bears.

Comment

Working...
                      X