Is "Durable Tent" an oxymoron?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is "Durable Tent" an oxymoron?

Prior to this year, I hadn't been camping for about 27 years. This year I've spent over 180 days car tent camping. Every tent I've had has failed and been replaced with an upgrade. The previous record being about 3-4 months for the Coleman Signature Instant 4-man tent (excellent value by the way). My current tent is a Kodiak Deluxe Flex-Bow 10 X 10. After a little over three month, it too is giving up the ghost. I was really hoping that it would last longer for its price point. But the canvas hasn't handled the high humidity and frequent rains of the south-eastern US and is having some major issues.

Where do I go from here? Anything significantly more durable than a Kodiak Canvas for wet weather? I'm considering a Cabela's XWT but there is no Cabela's nearby for me to check it out. Also it looks like a pain to setup and take down. Any opinions on this tent? Any other recommendations?

Re: Is "Durable Tent" an oxymoron?

I've had no luck with any coleman product that wasn't a stove or a lantern. I buy my tents through Ebay new-with-tags at hefty discounts, but I only buy from high-end companies like Sierra Designs, Mountain HardWear, NorthFace, Marmot, REI, A16, EMS, or Big Agnes. These are $500 MSRP tents in four and six-man sizes that are polyester/nylon fabrics, waterproof floors, anodized aluminum poles, full coverage vestibules, and plenty of mesh to stop condensation. Yes, they are expensive, but they offer lifetime warranties, and in the case of Marmot and Sierra Designs, excellent customer service that stands behind those warranties. These tents weigh around 25 pounds but can be set up easily by one person. They really cost less in the long run than those cheap tents you might buy in a discount store or big-box retailer because they are "built to last".

“People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Thanks tplife,

Because of their early failure almost every tent I've had so far was accepted for a full refund from the retailers. ...very easy process to move on to the next tent with no loss of capital. The only exception was the previously mentioned Coleman Instant, where I dealt with Coleman directly. Coleman had excellent service and immediately sent me a new tent directly after I emailed pics of the broken tent. However, because I wanted to find something more durable I ended up selling the replacement tent on Craigslist ...which was a hassle. So dealing with local retailers was much simpler and less expensive overall.

What kind of return process can I expect from these ebay retailers? What kind of experience should I expect form these "high end" tent manufacture's warranty programs? After my experiences so far, I think it's just a matter of when and not if the tent will fail. Also, do you have any opinions on the Cabela's XWT?

Comment

180 days in a year. That is pretty hard core. How long do you stay at each location? Maybe you should consider a yurt or permanent structure?

Comment

Yeah, I would be shocked if you couldn't get more a few months out of the family tents from any of the major high end brands: Sierra Designs, Marmot, North Face, REI, EMS, etc. They come in many different configurations and which one might be best is a matter of personal preference. But, here's an example of a heavy-duty Marmot that measures the same 10 x 10 as your Kodiac. Retail is $529, but you should be able to find a 30% off deal sometime this fall. I have the 8" x 8" version of this tent and it is very solid.

I don't think I'd want a cotton canvas tent in a situation where I would be packing up wet for extended camping trips. Synthetic materials are going to dry so much faster. Literally a matter of minutes when the sun comes out.

If I were camping 180 days and wanted to spend some serious money, I'd be tempted by one of these:

http://marmot.com/products/lair_8p?p=118

A 13 ft x 13 ft expedition dome tent. Materials are all heavy duty 4-season mountaineering quality. The dome structure will stand up to massive wind. The sort of tent that would survive at Everest Base Camp. A little out of my price range!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
            180 days in a year. That is pretty hard core. How long do you stay at each location? Maybe you should consider a yurt or permanent structure?
            I move every week or two. So I would like the tent to be fairly easy to setup and take down.

Comment

I watched the YouTube video of the guy setting up the Cabelas tent and that just looks unacceptable to me. It looks like it would be an ordeal to set the thing up with two people. For example, the way the inner tent attaches to the poles is needlessly time consuming with the velcro and rings...

Comment

hwc1954, thanks for the info on the Marmots and XWT...
                Last edited by yogiyoda; 09-25-2013, 07:34 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by yogiyoda View Post
                  Thanks tplife,

Because of their early failure almost every tent I've had so far was accepted for a full refund from the retailers. ...very easy process to move on to the next tent with no loss of capital. The only exception was the previously mentioned Coleman Instant, where I dealt with Coleman directly. Coleman had excellent service and immediately sent me a new tent directly after I emailed pics of the broken tent. However, because I wanted to find something more durable I ended up selling the replacement tent on Craigslist ...which was a hassle. So dealing with local retailers was much simpler and less expensive overall.

What kind of return process can I expect from these ebay retailers? What kind of experience should I expect form these "high end" tent manufacture's warranty programs? After my experiences so far, I think it's just a matter of when and not if the tent will fail. Also, do you have any opinions on the Cabela's XWT?
                  I've done the same thing, but after returning a few tents the way you did, I realized that Coleman doesn't make tents and bought a Sierra Designs Base Camp (clearance-priced at Sport Chalet). I retired that 4-man last summer when the bathtub floor became "porous". Seirra Designs the screens on the tent about ten years before (they started to decompose after fifteen years, and they had replaced a quarter-circle pole joint a few years back also (again, free) caused by the sandstorm seen below. The tent was finally retired in 2012. I bought it in 1987 and used it more than my other tents. Like you said, the tent did "fail", it just took a while. Ebay has a buyer guarantee program. If you buy a new tent and it's not new, it's the seller's responsibility to make it right. If you buy a new tent and are happy with it, it comes with the manufacturer's lifetime warrantee if so equipped. I have bought 3 tents this way at 60% off. They are all Sierra Designs models, but the other companies I listed are of similar quality. I bought SD because auctions are more numerous, since their production numbers are so high, thus more bargains to be had on their product line. Like Coleman, Cabela's doesn't actually make tents, so you are at the mercy of their product selection of whatever cut-n-sew they choose to embroider their logo on. Their tents are of good quality, but I want the manufacturer's name on the one I buy. It might be just one more assurance of product representation for the long haul. You might like the extra customer service assurances of a retailer like EMS and REI. You pay more, but they have generous return policies from my experience (REI on the Left Coast and EMS on the Right).

A fitting tribute to the '87 Base Camp, seen here in 2011 tackling a 55 mph sandstorm. My daughter is still fast asleep inside...

Last edited by tplife; 09-25-2013, 06:05 PM.
                  “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                  ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Thanks tplife. Cool video. I'll look for a tent as per your and hwc1954's recommendations. Really hoping to find something that will last longer than the Kodiak.

I'm look for something with 76" of headroom or greater and with a footprint 120 square feet or smaller ...as larger footprints can make finding spots more difficult. Ease of setup is a plus. Pack weight and size are not issues. I would like to spend less than a grand unless the higher quality for going over can clearly be demonstrated.

The Marmot Halo 6 looks promising except that some reviews mention issues with poles bending. Sierra Designs doesn't seem to be selling similar tents with 76+" of headroom. Can anyone make specific recommendations about tents similar to the Halo 6 that might be more durable? Also, what are the thoughts on Kelty? Didn't see that brand mentioned.
                    Last edited by yogiyoda; 09-29-2013, 06:18 PM.

Comment

DELETED - duplicate post.
                      Last edited by yogiyoda; 09-29-2013, 06:20 PM. Reason: duplicate post

Comment

Good question.

I enjoy the closer to nature feel of a tent. I enjoy the better gas mileage and driving experience of a regular car. I like to the low cost and simplicity of a tent …not just from an initial standpoint but also from a theft, maintenance and storage standpoint. And it just more fun for me.

Drawbacks are that some parks won't allow tents. Some campgrounds put more restriction on tent locations and stay times. Tents have longer, more strenuous and dirty setup and take downs. And I haven't found a tent that's durable enough!

I will try the tent route a little longer, but may get an RV eventually.

Comment

I have to agree about the 180 days so far being pretty hardcore. I mean that is over 65% of the year so far. A tent is a temporary shelter not meant for a permanent living, even if you move every two weeks. I don't know of any tent that is going to stand up to that abuse. Maybe start researching the living structures of the Indians/Native Americans in your area, If they had mobile structures, maybe you could learn something from them. Or buy a surplus Army canvas tent.
                          Nights camped in 2019: 24
                          Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I cannot speak to the Cabela's XWT, but I do have an Alaskan Guide 6 that is at least 10 years old. I did buy it second hand for a pittance, although I did replace the fly and did some maintenance to the main body of the tent. I, too, live in the southeast and so far the tent has held up well considering its age. I will certainly buy another when the time comes.

The tent has pretty good headroom. I have set it up by myself, but it is not particularly quick or easy. This model tent, like many other tents, has had failures. I wold suggest you read many of the reviews on it and judge for yourself. However, Cabela's will stand behind their equipment, whether or not they manufacture it themselves. The other tents mentioned by my fellow campeteers are also of excellent quality. As mentioned before, I would check out the reviews and judge for yourself.

Comment

Look at the canvas tents advertised in any hunting magazine. I have a wall tent from about 1980 made by Colorado Tent and Awning of Denver. I have lived in the tent for a month at a time, and leave it up in the backyard every fall. It has withstood blizzards countless times, winds of 60 mph and never leaked. It is big, warm and durable. With a steel frame it is easy to set up with one person. It takes longer to set up than a nylon pop tent. It is heavy, but it does the job and keeps on doing it. There is no experience like a roaring fire in a wood stove at 9,000 feet in a snow storm.

Comment

Working...
                              X