Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wool blanket or foam pad underneath air mattress?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wool blanket or foam pad underneath air mattress?

you need to put insulation between him and the air mattress. You could try the mylar sleeping bag, but I would put the heavy cotton blanket under him as well.
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Perfect use for a cheapo rectangular synthetic sleeping bag. Put it on top of the air mattress and use it as a mattress topper. Or zip it up and put the air mattress inside the sleeping bag. Synthetic insulation, especially the kind used in cheap rectangular sleeping bags, does't compress a whole lot, so it makes pretty good bottom layer insulation.

You can pick one up at WalMart for under $20:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trai...g-Bag/14504291

Comment

Originally posted by HogSnapper
        I've had three large adults sleep on a Coleman queen size mattress that was pumped up tighter than a Texas tick on a bull's butt and it didn't pop so don't worry about popping it.
        How did you fit three large adults on a queen size mattress!? lol I'm used to a King at home and a night at the in-laws on their Queen bed with the hubby is crowded!

Comment

Originally posted by MissDaisy View Post
          Hi .... Last night was our first night, I was comfy and very warm on my cot. My hubby was freezing. He had a plain small air mattress with a closed cell pad under. We have a mylar sleeping bag and was thinking about putting the air mattress inside that? He said he could feel the cold under his back. He had a 20 degree bag and another heavy cotton blanket over him.
          The closed pad under the air mattress insulates the sleeper from convecting cold off the ground (transferring his warmth to the ground), but not from the air mattress. Putting the air mattress inside the mylar bag does nothing as the mylar retains warmth and the air mattress doesn't have any (it will always become the same temp as the outside air). His best bet is a self-inflating sleeping pad, available in various lengths, widths, and thicknesses. Unlike the 0.75 R value of a cot or air mattress, most sport thermo-neutral 5.0 ratings.
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Speaking of inflatable sleeping pads, the local LLBean outlet store had one of these at a nice discount (returned item):

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63623...ductId=1066185

Therm-a-rest Dreamtime XL -- the 30 inch wide Dreamtime with a 2.5 inch self-inflating pad and 1 inch of foam topper. I can't figure out for the life of me why Therm-a-rest changed this to the NeoAir mattress. It's not like this is ever going to be light or backpackable. Seems like they screwed up a really good product:

Comment

Hi all.....we are back home a day early.

I think we realized that tent camping is not for us. :(

Comment

Well, at least you tried. Hope you didn't have to much invested in your gear.

Comment

I don't know if your mind is set in stone, but you could always try backyard camping to work out the kinks. That is one of the things that is recommended to see if you like camping. Kind of a walk before you can run type thing.

Comment

Hi all.....

As a kid, we went fishing often in the Sierras, but in an RV. We owned a trailer a few years ago and loved it, but had to sell due to the monthly storage fees.

So, that's why we decided to try tent camping. I knew it would be a lot of work, but it was much more than I even thought. None of us enjoyed it. Plus with my own health issues, I didn't like that I didn't have a refuge to go to.

So we will be staying at a condo like we have been every summer. We can go fishing and then come back to a cozy place to stay.

Comment

Originally posted by HogSnapper
                      Sorry to hear that MissDaisy. I briefly mentioned cabins earlier. One popular trend that is happening in state parks and national parks is the addition of cabins for rent. There are more and more popping up all the time. That might be a way for you to go camping and still have the amenities you want. I've recently been using cabins quite a bit because I lost all my camping gear and so far it's been pretty nice. The cabins are setup with amenities just like what you'd expect from a motel - cable TV, A/C, fresh towels, normal bed, etc. - except that you're in an awesome park location and the cabins in the parks tend to be very cheap compared to the cost of a private cabin rental.
                      This sounds great. Do you have a link where I can find out about this? I am in CA and have not heard about this option and seen any info.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by MissDaisy View Post
                        Hi all.....

As a kid, we went fishing often in the Sierras, but in an RV. We owned a trailer a few years ago and loved it, but had to sell due to the monthly storage fees.

So, that's why we decided to try tent camping. I knew it would be a lot of work, but it was much more than I even thought. None of us enjoyed it. Plus with my own health issues, I didn't like that I didn't have a refuge to go to.

So we will be staying at a condo like we have been every summer. We can go fishing and then come back to a cozy place to stay.
                        Naturally, for camping enthusiasts that are on this forum, it is disappointing to hear that you did not enjoy tent camping. Truth be told, you are not alone. To campers, camping seems like such a natural thing that everybody would want to do. The reality is that camping is attractive to just a few of us. Camping isn't even considered recreation in most of the rest of the world

Of course, there is a great deal of efficiency gained through tent camping knowledge and experience and these efficiencies eluded you on this trip. If you were to camp with a more experienced camper or if you were to repeat the experience, it would be less work and more fun

At least you enjoy the outdoors and fishing.

Comment

Thanks

Except for my husband being cold, I have to say that we were very prepared and for that, I am proud of myself....

Most of the stuff we bought will be given to our son and his new wife.
                          Last edited by MissDaisy; 08-14-2013, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Kelty air mattress report. Was fine this week with temperatures down into the low 40s at night. Synthetic rectangular sleeping bag on top of the air mattress, as a mattress pad. Then I enclosed the air mattress and that sleeping bag in a double wide fleece bag. I slept on top of that with a Marmot Atom 40 degree down bag as a cover. I actually woke up sweating

Comment

The Wool Company offers an excellent range of blankets for either layering or for extra warmth over a duvet. With a large size blanket you could even snuggle four on a sofa. I have found these blankets to be beautifully made and I’m very happy with mine.

http://www.thewoolcompany.co.uk/blankets.html
                              Last edited by Kathryn Reed; 02-25-2015, 08:17 AM.

Comment

If necessary a foam pad underneath to prevent protect the mattress from sharp objects but more importantly a wool blanket on top between it and you! We always chuck a wool throw or two into the camping kit, they have lots of uses during a camping trip!

There are so many advantages of a wool blanket over manmade fibres
                                • wool is breathable so you don't get sweaty and clammy against the air mattress. It may be heavier but it works better!
                                • it feels warm against the skin
                                • It's naturally fire retardant
                                • You can use it to wrap up in (or under with a friend) when not using the mattress! :money:

Comment

Working...
                                X