Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wool blanket or foam pad underneath air mattress?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wool blanket or foam pad underneath air mattress?

Is that my princess bed? LOL

Trying it out at home won't work, because it doesn't get that cold here at night where I live....

I got an ALPS Mountaineering pad, medium. My sleeping bag is rated for 30 degrees.

So the air inside the ALPS pad will not get cold like the air inside a regular air mattress?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by MissDaisy View Post
      Is that my princess bed? LOL

Trying it out at home won't work, because it doesn't get that cold here at night where I live....

I got an ALPS Mountaineering pad, medium. My sleeping bag is rated for 30 degrees.

So the air inside the ALPS pad will not get cold like the air inside a regular air mattress?

Thanks
      Ya, I am just trying to be funny with the princess bed. It isn't directed toward you specifically.

I think you will be OK. I sleep on the ground with only a closed cell foam pad. It isn't really comfortable, but it isn't cold. If you are on a cot that has some kind of mattress (not an air mattress), that should be good enough. If it is an air mattress, then just add a closed cell foam layer and you will be comfortable. If you get cold, let the air out of the air mattress and sleep on the cot with the closed cell foam pad (and it MIGHT be more comfortable on the ground with the foam pad at that point)

Comment

The cot pad is not an air mattress....it's just some sort of pad.

The cot is super comfortable, BTW!

Comment

The cot pad is not an air mattress....it's just some sort of pad.

The cot is super comfortable, BTW!
          In that case, the cot is good enough, IMO.

Good to do research and plan ahead, but don't worry too much. Go and have a ball.

Daniel Boone and Davy Crocket lived in the wilderness for months at at time in all weather with an axe, a knife, their musket, six ounces of roasted corn meal, and a single blanket. You are far better prepared than that.

Comment

I know....I am bring neurotic.

I have Lupus though, so I do need to plan ahead

Thanks for all the help!

Comment

A cot will leave you cold, period.
              Last edited by tplife; 08-02-2013, 05:51 AM.
              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I'm not holding my breath waiting to be told how Kingquad's article is full of "junk science", hahaha!
                “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I've been really happy with an XL Quik-cot covered with a wool blanket and a Wiggy's pad. In the coldest weather I use a Moonstone goose down mummy bag, But for most of the year I'm pretty fond of a Wenzel conquest or an older Coleman rectangular bag because I like having the extra room.

Those bags are large enough that I can add a poncho liner or wool blanket in them if I need to adjust for a colder night or two. My camping trips in Arkansas rarely involve temps below 30 degrees so this might not be comfortable in colder areas of the country.

Comment

I just like how it is non-argumentative. Tells you why you may be cold, in "laymen's" terms and if you want to use an air mattress, she just explains how to do it and be comfortable.
                    Nights camped in 2019: 24
                    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I was in Big Lots today and happened to wander down the aisle that had mattress pads and such. They had a Memory Foam mattress topper in a size that will fit my cot for 18 bucks. It looks pretty darn comfy.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeEater2 View Post
                        I was in Big Lots today and happened to wander down the aisle that had mattress pads and such. They had a Memory Foam mattress topper in a size that will fit my cot for 18 bucks. It looks pretty darn comfy.
                        Was it for a twin size? Or was it a camping size LOL

Comment

Was it for a twin size? Or was it a camping size LOL

It was for a twin size bed but the sizing was a little skimpy so it would fit my XL cot just about right.

Comment

Thanks....I am going to check that out. I ordered an ALPS pad, and I am less than impressed :(

Comment

Which Alps pad did you order? My wife doesn't like her alps pad either. It is the comfort series XL 3" thick. I had to add a thermarest dream time cover. It's basically a 1/2" memory foam topper.
                              Nights camped in 2019: 24
                              Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                                Which Alps pad did you order? My wife doesn't like her alps pad either. It is the comfort series XL 3" thick. I had to add a thermarest dream time cover. It's basically a 1/2" memory foam topper.
                                The "Summit" Regular....I got a great deal on closeout, but still. People bash regular air mattresses, saying they can leak or be too cold, but can't the same happen with the ALPS?

Comment

Working...
                                X