Help Finding a Tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help Finding a Tent

It's a little overkill, but the Marmot Thor has zip up panels for all the mesh -- the mesh doors on both ends and the mesh vents in the ceiling. It would be a good 3-season tent (winter, spring, fall, minus summer heat). With five poles (and a sixth for the vestibule), the darn thing is stronger than most houses.

It's pricey, but not insane for a very heavy duty tent. $459 with free shipping at Moontrail:

Marmot Thor

I used it with temps down near freezing. Zipping up the mesh was really nice. Actually, I think I zipped up the doors and left the roof vents open. Would also be a great tent for camping at the shore where you know the wind is going to be whipping or when camping in a place that has thunder storms every afternoon. Too heavy for backpacking unless you have two people to split the weight (or sherpas).

Comment

HWC, I wouldn't call those features overkill, they're standard on quality 4-season tents. The zippered vents and additional pole are common to accommodate more snowload and less issues with condensation that you'll experience in winter. Outside of snowloads, I guess they're overkill since good 3-season tents can take flurries, and with the full fly/vestibule down don't need zippered vents as condensation is more of an issue - same design but with one less pole, and no vent zippers. Marmot only makes good gear, we love their jackets and down bags.
      Last edited by tplife; 11-25-2013, 12:59 PM.
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

If I don't get my canvas cabin tent, the Thor 3P is going to be "it". There are reviews everywhere extolling it's virtues. I've been looking at it for months, finally saw one set up, and I can see why people rave about it. Short of a hurricane, it looks and feels like it'll handle anything east coast U.S. weather can throw at it.

Comment

Macyver: Wher you buy such a tent?

Comment

Originally posted by farout View Post
            Macyver: Wher you buy such a tent?
            Check the link hwc posted. That's the best price I've seen anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
              Outside of snowloads, I guess they're overkill since good 3-season tents can take flurries, and with the full fly/vestibule down don't need zippered vents as condensation is more of an issue - same design but with one less pole, and no vent zippers.
              Yeah, I do think the better/stronger 3-season tents (not necessarily the ultra-light stuff) can handle most weather that normal people would want to camp in. And for warm weather camping, the extra mesh is a plus. However, something like the Thor (or any other good 4-season tent) would give a little more peace of mind if the wind really started to howl.

Just in general, the Thor 3P would be an awesome two-person tent for people who camp in wind or bad weather.

Comment

Working...
              X