Help Finding a Tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Finding a Tent

People of the Forum, lend me your thoughts... I am asking for suggestions/opinions on which tent to purchase. Here is my scenario and criteria.

My scenario: pack a bag (clothes...), duffel (camping and fishing gear...) and an ice chest (kitchen...) for airline travel. Looking to carry all of my equipment in these three containers on a week long fishing trip to Montana (will pick up a rental car there). I have been doing something similar but using my backpacking tent (Six Moons Design Lunar Duo). Looking for a larger tent.

Criteria:
    3-4 man (will be used by 2 max)
    freestanding
    lots of mesh
    rain fly
    bathtub bottom
    has to be packable/flyable (this knocks out a Kodiak Flexbow)
    3 season
    height a plus (I'm 6'3")

Re: Help Finding a Tent

Montana! I'm envious as I hope to go there someday.

I've a question:
    You'll be arriving at the camping area via car but I'm not sure if you'll hike in via foot or drive directly to the site. This could affect what type of tent you opt for/prefer given your parameters.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

HogSnapper - Already have a small tent, looking for something larger than a hammock or backpacking tent. Don't need to ship cooler as I travel for work and can check up to 3 pieces of luggage for free.

NYCgrrl - This configuration would be for drive up and camp areas. The purpose of the trip would be fishing. Should I need to walk into an area to camp I could take my backpacking setup. Did a portion of the Grand Canyon last week before a conference in Vegas this week. Was able to get my whole backpacking setup into the XL North Face duffel. That duffel is a beast.

Looking for a small base camp type of tent. I would love something like the new Kodiak Flexbox V in a 10 x 10, but that is not a flyable tent.

Comment

Originally posted by coloradowalt View Post
        HogSnapper - Already have a small tent, looking for something larger than a hammock or backpacking tent. Don't need to ship cooler as I travel for work and can check up to 3 pieces of luggage for free.

NYCgrrl - This configuration would be for drive up and camp areas. The purpose of the trip would be fishing. Should I need to walk into an area to camp I could take my backpacking setup. Did a portion of the Grand Canyon last week before a conference in Vegas this week. Was able to get my whole backpacking setup into the XL North Face duffel. That duffel is a beast.

Looking for a small base camp type of tent. I would love something like the new Kodiak Flexbox V in a 10 x 10, but that is not a flyable tent.
        Duhhhh moment 4 me:p.

This tent has been sparking my interest for smaller site needs/less people than I currently camp with:

http://www.rei.com/product/829184/re...12#video-inner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L6h6RELzPA

Be sure to click on the youtuber's links to the tent in use.

I do so enjoy standing upright at this point of my life.

I haven't obsessed about the fabric properties of this tent yet since I'm still in Dream Land.

HTH!
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

You are faced with the typical tent dilema: Size vs weight vs weatherproof. Pick two (you can't get all three, as the saying goes).

For today's nylon tents, the poles are usually the heaviest part of the tent. IF you can eliminate the poles, you can greatly reduce the tent and make the tent a lot more packable. SO.....

If you are going to be heading into the mountain part of Montana, then you can count on having available trees for tent poles.

I would buy a traditional design tent like the old wall tents, A-frame tents, bakers tents - tents that only require two poles or maybe tents with a ridge-pole.

You can leave the poles behind and use available wood for poles at camp.

Frankly, I don't know where to find NYLON versions new today, but there were a lot of them in the 1980's and I see them at garage sales and thrift stores all the time. In the worst case, it would be easy and affordable to sew one yourself using coated nylon fabric that you can easily find on the internet like Seattle Fabrics. In fact, it is so easy and affordable to make your own, that if you don't have the talent or time, you could hire a local seamstress to sew one for you. With good nylon, anybody with a home sewing machine can sew a tent. you don't really need a floor. You can hang mosquito netting at the door to keep the bugs out. You don't really need a difficult and expensive zipper.

Six pounds of good coated nylon will make a very big wall tent.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Looking at different tents, like the size of the HobItat 4. Wish it had more mesh, but that is roughly what I'm looking for. Weight is at the upper end.

Comment

You could always just make a friend in Montana who could lend you a tent... do we have anybody on the forum here from Montana??
              Sgt. Richard V. Gilbert
              USMC Retired
              Scout/Sniper

Comment

there is a guy on the local Craigslist that rents tents. I kow some REI's rent gear as well.
                Nights camped in 2019: 24
                Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

You're in the market for a 4-man poly tent...Stick with a quality name: REI, EMS, Mountain HardWear, Marmot, Sierra Designs, NorthFace, Big Agnes. There are deals on price, there are sales, Ebay, Amazon, etc. that save you a ton of money if you know how to shop or bid on new tents. The higher the production number, the greater the opportunity for discounts. These are lifetime guaranteed-tent companies. These are modern tents: lightweight ANODIZED aluminum poles POLYESTER fabrics, FULL coverage vestibules, lots of vertical space, high bathtub floors, double doors, storage pockets, self-repairing zippers. Don't be too picky with a particular brand, they are all top-shelf goods with modern features.
                  “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                  ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Mountainsmith makes some good tents that meet most of your criteria. The Mountainsmith Genesee 4 is 52 inches at its peak and its capacity is a 4-man and its pretty light weight so it shouldn't be much of a burden to carry all the way to Alaska. It also has the bathroom floor construction. I believe it has a rain fly as well. Its also free standing, so that should cover most of what you were wanting.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                      Duhhhh moment 4 me:p.

This tent has been sparking my interest for smaller site needs/less people than I currently camp with:

http://www.rei.com/product/829184/re...12#video-inner
                      I had considered the 6 man version of this. The 8 man just looks like a large grey worm to me.

Comment

We've got the Kingdom 6 with the garage add on. We really love it. If you're gonna put a Queen bed in there, either keep the divider open or get the K8. The six is about a foot to small. It's easy to put up and take down, and plenty of room to move around. Catch some of the REI coupons and sales, and you'll save some serious bucks. Happy Camping.
                        Nights camping in 2013-----12
                        Nights camping in 2014----- 4
                        Nights camping in 2015------8

Comment

Old thread, but here is the conclusion to my question. Ended taking my old tent this year. For my next trip I have settled on the Eureka Timberline SQ Outfitter 6. Plenty of room for 2-3, weight is around 20 lbs. Plenty of height in the center. Really like the Kodiak/Springbar but their weight keeps me away from them. If I could drive to my travel campsites they would be the no brainer pick.

Comment

Those a-frame Timberlines are bombproof. If you don't mind the weight, you won't find a better tent.

My son has a 2-man Timberline and it has handled everything nature could throw at it. And Hey! You can pitch it freestanding!
                            2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Nice post my Mike. I like wall tents, lean-tos and Baker tents best.

Comment

Working...
                              X