Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What special stuff do I need for cold weather camping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What special stuff do I need for cold weather camping?

Wear a cap to bed in cold weather if you want to, but don't let it bother you. You only lose 10% of your body heat through your head, so if you're laying against your sleeping bag with your face exposed, it's not a big deal. You "feel" colder without the cap because the face, head, and chest are more senstitive to changes in temperatures than the rest of the body, not because you lose a significant amount of heat from being exposed there.
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Re: What special stuff do I need for cold weather camping?

The first time I camped in below 20 weather I brought an air matress but not an air pump and wound up sleep on the ground I also wore cotton, it was not a fun night. But I have learned a lot since then.

I use a Big Agnes sleeping bag rated at 20 degrees (it is a mummy bag), wear nylon pants and synthetic shirts (no cotton anywhere), fresh dry wool socks and an inflatable thermarest on the ground and then I have a foldable styrofoam mat I stick in a sleeve in the bag (the bag has no bottom insulation only room for a pad). I used this config in Bryce Canyon over Thanksgiving it dropped to the single digits and was quite warm.

Comment

Working...
      X