Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What special stuff do I need for cold weather camping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What special stuff do I need for cold weather camping?

I recently went camping and it dropped to 27 degrees that night, I was freezing! I had a sleeping bag that was lent to me by my brother and at some point was good for very cold temps, but it must have lost some insulating factor b/c it didn't work to well. I also had a pad under my sleeping bag, but again it was very old (from camping as kids) and I think was mainly meant for comfort, not insulation. AND I used my husbands and I's tent that is a big 6 person tent. So I see several of my dumb mistakes already.

But what would your tips for enjoyable cold weather camping? Right now it's just be car camping. I"m in the southeast, so the 20's is really the coldest it ever gets (and that is pretty rare). I'd love recommendations for gear that will protect me from the cold, but that is also affordable. As for a tent, it can be a 1 or 2 person, b/c I don't know anyone who will come with me cold weather tent camping. Any recommendations for clothing would also be appreciated. Thanks so much!

Re: What special stuff do I need for cold weather camping?

Smartwool socks are great and also make sure you wear a cap when you go to bed.
    May you always have love to share,
    Health to spare
    And friends that care.

Comment

THanks for those links!! Nearly Wild, I had a cap on while I slept, and my feet and nose are what froze:(

Comment

It's always good to have a warm fresh pair of wool socks to sleep in. As one dresses in layers during the day, tis also good to sleep in a good pair of long-handled underwear. Light weight to heavy weight underwear to suit your needs. What may be good for one person may not be what is good for everyone. For example, for me it's wool from head to toe. Wool sox, wool pants, wool shirt or sweater and an insulated jacket. Wool headgear is a must both for sleeping and during the daylight and light weight long underwear. Also remember that as the temperature goes down the time it takes a person to do some campsite tasks increases. It is always best to stay as dry as possible, if you have to change your socks often, well then take enough socks to keep dry. If your nose gets cold invest in a balaclava wool headgear.
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

hand warmers and breatheable clothing to sleep in. ypu want your body heat o be able to get back to your body and not get blocked by your clothing. you8 dont want to sweat and hve your clothes get damp and then in turn get cold from the temperatures because then you will get cold. or you can sleep in just your skivies . a warm cozy sleeping bag rated for cold weather helps with this as well.

Comment

The two links cover pretty much everything you need to know, but I do not recall if anyone addressed storage of sleeping bags.

Hanging them in a closet or fully laying them out under a bed are the best choices. Never store a sleeping stuffed away because that reduces the loft of the insulation, resulting in loss of heat while you are sleeping.

If room is a factor, then place the sleeping bag in a COTTON (breathable) storage bag (available at any good outdoor store, cost about $10) and make sure it is not really jammed in there. Then store them in a dry, relatively temperature-stable area. Do not stack them and remember to turn them over and fluff them up occasionally. This is what I do with my bags.
            Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

I guess the tent quality is also important, how insulating it is, other than a good sleeping bad and other clothing. Maybe it is possible to get some sort of electrical heat source in there but it won't last for long.

Comment

I think a full length sleeping pad is a must. I did a cold weather trip one time where we got snowed in and I only had a 3/4 length pad. Even with several layers of socks my feet were frozen. I never had that problem again with a full length pad.
                Happy Trails!

IK

http://www.everything-about-camping.com

Comment

Yep...........so much information about heat conduction.............any area that is in contact with the cold ground will get real cold.............thermarest pads I hear are great.........some say put a wool blanket on top of them.

Comment

Keep some food with you during the night. If you get cold, eating will increase your body temperature.
                    Wear a hat to bed.
                    Use two ground pads--one closed cell and one inflated, if too cold.
                    I've no house in the city, just a camping tent in the wild.

Comment

You may camp in an area where it's "safer" to keep food in your tent than where I generally tend to camp (we have bears). I never advise anybody to keep food in their tent for that reason, however I understand your logic.

I don't keep anyhing in my tent but a candle latern, a thermarest, and a sleeping bag. I swear by the thermarest though and a full length one at that.... I've learned the hard way.
                      Happy Trails!

IK

Comment

I use a candle lanten in my tent when camping in colder weather. A friend actually put me onto them saying they may add a couple of degrees to your tent. I don't know if they'll do that or not, they may help depending on the size of your tent, but one thing they seem to do is help out with the moisture that is created when you breathe at night. In my experience they seem to help keep me warmer in a two man tent, and the light is not so obnoxious that you can't sleep through it. But a good candle for it and it will burn all night long.
                        Happy Trails!

IK

Comment

Yeah...Zack...food in your tent is not a good idea in Virginia, unless you want to eventualy cuddle with a black bear.
                          2012 - Nights spent in the back country: 12

Comment

Since that trip I've bought a full length thermarest and have never looked back. It works super well for keeping the cold ground away from my body and is comfortable too. I believe it's a Thermarest Trail. I definitely recommend it!
                            Happy Trails!

IK

Comment

Originally posted by busere View Post
                              Yeah...Zack...food in your tent is not a good idea in Virginia, unless you want to eventualy cuddle with a black bear.
                              I agree. Sorry to have mislead.
                              I've no house in the city, just a camping tent in the wild.

Comment

Working...
                              X