A game changer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A game changer

Put the bunks on one side of the 6x10 - you'd still have room for the hampers and a small pantry.

If you use the ramp, you could make a kitchen on wheels and wheel it out at the campground. That would reduce setup time.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I agree pop ups are a pain to set up. Have you seen the cargo trailers that have the canvas pop out? I saw some at the camper show. One of the neatest conversions i saw, was a souvenir trailer into a camper. The whole side opened up for ventilation and views. Thought that wad kind of cool. Are you going to go with a V nose or squared off nose?
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190603-173642.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	71141
      Nights camped in 2019: 24
      Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I do appreciate all the suggestions, but I've out figured out that my best option is to get a trailer that's just big enough to store and maneuver while camping and leave it just that - a trailer. Come the day I finally leave Maryland I'll have just that much more room to take my stuff with me. The big question now is whether to get a dual axle or single axle. Duals give me more hauling capacity, singles are more maneuverable and less maintenance.

Comment

Wife and I went to an RV show Sunday. Just for fun and check things out. We left with the idea that we are going to get a trailer or 5th wheel at some point. We started really liking the RV's but decided we didn't like that we would have to pack up everything if we needed to run to the store or something.

Is there a benefit to having an RV over a trailer or 5th wheel?
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

I'm definitely in favor of tow behinds. With a mobile home, unless you want to trailer a vehicle, once you're set up you're stuck where you are. No running into town for supplies or to a hospital for an emergency without breaking everything down.
            Last edited by MacGyver; 06-04-2019, 06:13 AM.

Comment

I love my motorhome.

The motorhome (a 21ft class C) is easier to drive - no hitching, no towing, no backing up. It is easier for quick overnights - just park and sleep. It is great for day trips - you can bring fixings for meals, etc. I find it much more pleasurable for camping trips where I'll be parked in one place - I only go to a store if it's an emergency and my outside set up consists of a couple chairs and a table. It also has a toilet that is extremely convenient while on the road.

I love my FoldnRoll too. It is better suited to sightseeing trips where I can unhitch it at the campground and drive into the city/town. If I had someone with me, it is better in that one person could take the suv to town or a fishing hole, etc., and the other person could stay back at camp with all the supplies.

I have been planning my Death Valley trip, and wish I could have a combination of the two. The clipper would be great for overnighting on the way down and even the night at the racetrack. And it'd be nice to have my kitchen and bathroom everywhere I go.

But the trailer and suv is much better for setting up camp and being able to drive the narrower/rougher roads.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                Wife and I went to an RV show Sunday. Just for fun and check things out. We left with the idea that we are going to get a trailer or 5th wheel at some point. We started really liking the RV's but decided we didn't like that we would have to pack up everything if we needed to run to the store or something.

Is there a benefit to having an RV over a trailer or 5th wheel?
                There are big difference. The biggest 2 are the way they tow, and the added space above the king pin. If AZ allows tandem pulling, it is better to do it with a 5th wheel than a ball hitch. Worlds of options on both though.

Comment

And I agree with a towable vs a class A,B or C. Nice to unhook and explore.

Comment

Hallelujah! The game has changed again. The white elephant that's been sitting in my driveway since June of last year is GONE - and in the most unlikely fashion. I expected to have to go through half a dozen or more setups and breakdowns to show people what's what. Guy answered my Craigslist ad about two hours after I put it up and says, "I want it. I'm about two hours away, bank opens at 9, I'll see you tomorrow around noon, cash in hand". Sure enough - the guy was sitting in my driveway at a few minutes before noon. Now I get my driveway back and get to knock some bills down and start saving for the enclosed trailer I should have bought in the first place.

Edit: Forgot to mention what I think is the really amazing part. The guy didn't even bother to open it. Saw it, bought it and left.
                    Last edited by MacGyver; 03-05-2020, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Congratulations again ...

Welcome back into the light! ..for a while at least.

Enjoy!
                      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                        Hallelujah! The game has changed again. The white elephant that's been sitting in my driveway since June of last year is GONE - and in the most unlikely fashion. I expected to have to go through half a dozen or more setups and breakdowns to show people what's what. Guy answered my Craigslist ad about two hours after I put it up and says, "I want it. I'm about two hours away, bank opens at 9, I'll see you tomorrow around noon, cash in hand". Sure enough - the guy was sitting in my driveway at a few minutes before noon. Now I get my driveway back and get to knock some bills down and start saving for the enclosed trailer I should have bought in the first place.

Edit: Forgot to mention what I think is the really amazing part. The guy didn't even bother to open it. Saw it, bought it and left.
                        Nice. I love it when things work out.
                        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                        – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                        X