A game changer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A game changer

Looks like I'll be doing things differently for a while. Seems like it took forever to find one close to home (hate trying to title anything bought out of state). Found an unbelievably clean, garage kept 2004 Flagstaff pop up. Gonna save one tent for winter camping - the rest, along with a bunch of other tent camping gear now going on Craigslist.

Re: A game changer

Congrats!! No more sleeping on the ground!
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Congratulations...
      Does it have a fridge or a cooler?
      Now you get to enjoy modifying it for off road use (spring over axle)....

Enjoy!
      Last edited by Happy Joe; 05-17-2019, 06:12 AM.
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
        Congrats!! No more sleeping on the ground!
        Thanks - but I haven't slept on the ground in years, thanks to tent platforms and cots. I'm too old for that crap. :mdr:

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
        Congratulations... Does it have a fridge or a cooler? Now you get to enjoy modifying it for off road use (spring over axle)....
        And thank you. Yep - it has a fridge which I didn't bother to see if it works or not. If it does, that's good. If not, it'll be a cooler. And I do intend to do an axle flip, but I doubt it'll see much off road. The thing is huge for a pop up. I just need ground clearance for the dirt roads in the state forest.

Comment

Welcome to the dark side. One of the first mods i did, was add an arv winch to the front of it. That way i could raise and lower with the push of a button.
          Nights camped in 2019: 24
          Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
            Welcome to the dark side. One of the first mods i did, was add an arv winch to the front of it. That way i could raise and lower with the push of a button.
            Thanks. But that mod was one of my requirements going in and the reason it took me forever to find what I wanted. It's got the electric lift. :mdr: This isn't my first pop up and I remember all too well the pain of cranking one up. Still have to play the "tuck the canvas just right" game when closing it up, but at least I'll save my strength for lifting a bottle of Southern Comfort when I'm setting up.
            Last edited by MacGyver; 05-18-2019, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Pretty sure I'm an idiot. Years of looking for just the right camper and I just came to the conclusion that I need to sell it. Setting this thing up takes forever - and not because I'm new to popups. Uncouple it, unlatch the top, raise the lid, pull out the bump out, pull out the ends, place supports under the bumpout and the ends, set the canvas on the bumpout and the ends, set the stabilizers, drop the door from the ceiling and set it. Then after all of that, I'm in a camper that sleeps eight all by myself. Dumb.

In the time that it takes to do all of that, I'd have had my tarp, tent and electrical setup done and already sitting down with a bottle in my hand - and not sweating buckets like with the popup. So... the camper goes on craigslist and Facebook marketplace where I'll be looking for an enclosed trailer to haul all my gear.

To confirm what I pondered earlier: Yes, I'm an idiot.

Comment

That was a lot of why I never went the popup route. I wanted to be able to pull up and be set up.

With the Clipper, I have to pull up and level, turn on the propane, and light the water heater and fridge, set up the chair(s) and table outside. At night, I move the telescope off the bed and move the steps of the bed and into place for the dogs.

With the FoldnRoll, I have to pull up and level, raise the roof and walls, turn on the propane, light the water heater and fridge, move the pillows from the couch to the bed, move the bird cage to the counter, put the bird in the cage, move some water jugs and the grey water tote outside, set up the chair(s) and two tables (one for the bird). At night, I'll move a few things off the bed that found their way up there during the day.

For you, I would consider something like a teardrop. A kitchen setup on the outside and a bed on the inside that can double as storage space. Get to the campsite and set up your tarps as usual for hanging out, even a tent to sleep in if desired, but you could skip the kitchen setup.
                “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I totally agree about a "box". Unhitch, level, light what needs lighting, then start camping. Unfortunately, I didn't want to spend what it takes get one and, even if I wanted to, I can't park a trailer that size at my house. Even if I had the room, the damn zoning laws would kick in the first time a neighbor complains - and my next door neighbor, b**** that she is - would complain in a heartbeat. A teardrop won't hold everything I take out with me. On top of that, they cost more than an 18 foot box. Nope - I'm planning on making a camping rig out of enclosed trailer, complete with solar power for a battery bank, shelves for all my gear, a 15 or 20 gallon water setup (maybe even heated) and possibly even a shower/toilet combo. I'm kicking myself for jumping at the first popup I saw with an electric lift while ignoring the size of the damn thing. A 6x10 or 12 trailer definitely makes more sense for my purposes.

Comment

You should look at photos of the FoldnRoll. You could do that with a storage trailer fairly easy (minus the folding part). The full size bunk beds at the front will give you storage and a fulltime bed while staying within 16 feet total.

Comment

Have you looked into getting a Teardrop. It's the next step up from a tent. Kitchen in the back, bedroom inside and the rest of the Country is your Living room. Best thing is......no set up.

Comment

how about a class B RV? Basically a glorified van with a bed, kitchen, table and some have bathrooms.
                        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                        – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                          You should look at photos of the FoldnRoll. You could do that with a storage trailer fairly easy (minus the folding part). The full size bunk beds at the front will give you storage and a fulltime bed while staying within 16 feet total.
                          That would definitely be a great MacGyvering project except for the size. The only place I have to store a trailer is a narrow driveway with overhanging trees - trees I have to deal with because of the aforementioned b**** neighbor.

Originally posted by bluestar99 View Post
                          Have you looked into getting a Teardrop. It's the next step up from a tent. Kitchen in the back, bedroom inside and the rest of the Country is your Living room. Best thing is......no set up.
                          You get a demerit for missing what I said about teardrops. :he: I could build one myself on a small flatbed but they're definitely not big enough for what I want and over the top expensive if I went to buy one.

Originally posted by James. View Post
                          how about a class B RV? Basically a glorified van with a bed, kitchen, table and some have bathrooms.
                          Initial cost aside, any sort of vehicle is out of the question. Vehicle insurance in Maryland is insanely high. I'm already paying $2,000 a year just to drive my truck (with a spotless driving record and over 55).

Bottom line:
                          I already have a couple of plans drawn up for a 6 x 10 trailer and am really looking forward to making it a reality. I'll get to take more gear than ever before and free up a lot of room in basement. I've thought about a 15 or 20 gallon water barrel setup for years but haven't had anyway to handle the size and weight. The solar panel setup will no longer have to be set up every time as it will go on the roof of the trailer. Just like with the popup, camping trips will be a matter of throwing clothes and food in the truck, hooking up the trailer and rolling out.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                            That would definitely be a great MacGyvering project except for the size. The only place I have to store a trailer is a narrow driveway with overhanging trees - trees I have to deal with because of the aforementioned b**** neighbor.
                            I was thinking you could incorporate some of the space saving design of the foldnroll into your smaller trailer. Specifically the bunk beds along the width of the front. Mine is 7ft wide and the beds go all the way across. With an 8 ft width, you could make a clothing storage box on one side - use those cloth laundry bags inside for easy pull out. One for clean clothes and one for dirty.

You could use one bunk for storage and the other for sleeping. My lower bunk is dedicated for the dogs to hang out in - they each have a window and are not in my way while I cook, etc. We sleep on the top bunk which is about 4-6 inches higher than the countertop next to it. The bottom bunk is about 6 inches off the floor - perfect for Moose-dog with his bad legs. That is where the fresh water tank is underneath.

On my couch, I wanted to add some storage space underneath, so I built a platform. 6 inch legs with plywood base on top. Moved the cushions onto it. Now I can store shoes, clothes, etc., under the platform. I did have to raise my table to fit the new height. Building fresh, you could make it work better.

And add a side access door to a confined area in the trailer. That would give you a place to put things you need quickly and/or are greasy/dirty/etc. so you don't have to worry about getting other things icky.

Comment

By the time I'd get a trailer that size, I'd be in travel trailer big and, unfortunately, there's just no room here for anything that big. Even the popup was tricky squeezing in to what room I've got available. Nope - definitely gonna be a 6 x 10 or 12. Only question now is whether to get a ramp or barn doors in the back. I'm favoring barn doors because of the cable lift system the ramp uses. Just another thing to break and/or trip over.

Comment

Working...
                              X