• Show
Clear All

I got the inflator/deflator from Amazon, last night;

Click image for larger version

Name:	vacuum bag pump 75.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	82108

It is surprisingly powerful, the air flow feels like a regular vacuum cleaner, much stronger than the 12 volt inflator/defaltor fans that I have used in the past.

Name:	12 volt inflater.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	82109

It reduced the size of the rolled hospital pad from approximately 30 inches tall and 16 inches in diameter to about 25 inches tall and 8 inches in diameter. When the tone of the deflator changes its done all it can.

Name:	hospital pad 25 DSCF0372.jpg
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	82110

Name:	vacuumed hodpital pad 25 DSCF0373.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	82111

I don't believe the small, antique, shop-vac could do much better.

Next I will purchase a couple of jumbo vacuum storage bags (it was very iffy that I could fit the expanded, rolled up pad into one but once I shrink it down, in a gargbage bag it should fit (basically a two stage operation)...
    I am also going to use this for packing the bulky nylon flight jacket that I use camping, and it could make inflatable furniture semi practical (although I am a bit paranoid about leaks; the tent could use a sofa (...dream on...)).

I am going to call this one a success! ...and can recommend this inflator/deflator for limited vacuum storage use (since it is made in china; who knows how long it will last?).

Enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

So many useful things saw here, thank you! Want to share my recent purshase here, maybe it would be useful for somebody. Got this little buddy grill for camping. I use propane as a fuel here, meat is gorgeous. Also I purchased vaccum sealer to keep food fresh as long as possible. I do not take it with me, just use it at home to prepare food
      Last edited by Raynnnin; 08-04-2022, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Name:	12 volt inflater.jpg
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	82109

I wish I could find one of those again. That was the blower for my first incarnation of Electric Hickman - the fire stoker. They're compact, powerful and pretty durable. Unfortunately the durability factor "only" lasted about 15+ years. Every search for one that I've done in the last few years turns up zilch. The only offerings I see now are way bulkier and/or of questionable quality.

Comment

[QUOTE=I wish I could find one of those again. That was the blower for my first incarnation of Electric Hickman - the fire stoker. They're compact, powerful and pretty durable. Unfortunately the durability factor "only" lasted about 15+ years. Every search for one that I've done in the last few years turns up zilch. The only offerings I see now are way bulkier and/or of questionable quality.[/QUOTE]

I remember it as standard chinese quality...
          The pic is from my archive.
          I should have one, still, in the unused camping junk pile, although it may no longer be findable (I vaguely remember one getting run over)... if it turns up I will send you a message and send it to you (don't hold your breath, I haven't seen it in several years)...

The closest that I could find on amazon is this
          https://www.amazon.com/Swimline-Acce...ords=12+volt+i nflator+air+pump+for+inflatables&qid=1658493095&sp refix=12+volt+inflator%2Caps%2C642&sr=8-197

Click image for larger version  Name:	81CQRNDc3cL._AC_SL1500_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.1 KB ID:	82125

Enjoy!

Mac: I took a quick look on the camping spares shelf and found a blue version of the red one covered in cobwebs; Pm me your address and I will try to send it to you.

Joe
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Happy Joe; 07-22-2022, 07:02 AM.
          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post

I remember it as standard chinese quality...
            The pic is from my archive...
            Yeah - The ones on Amazon (and everywhere else) aren't quite the same. The old ones are smaller and fit right into the conduit without the adapters.

Definitely appreciate the offer - message sent right after this post

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post

Yeah - The ones on Amazon (and everywhere else) aren't quite the same. The old ones are smaller and fit right into the conduit without the adapters.

Definitely appreciate the offer - message sent right after this post
              The one from the shelf i(near 20 years old & unused) is, as far as I can see, identical to the red ones other than a factory addition of an on/off switch on the wire. (I did modify it slightly for more airflow.
              If you want a used red one (also modded) I'll have to dig into the junk pile (and may not find it).

Enjoy!

... inflater has returned to the spares shelf (with less dust and cobwebs)...
              Last edited by Happy Joe; 07-27-2022, 08:32 AM.

Comment

My RV camping trip.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                  How about tents???

Over the years I have tried many, I am now too antique to enjoy crawling on the ground to enter and exit so I prefer tents larger than a pup tent.

My smallest, easiest and quickest to set up is a 9x9 foot Eureka dome ; used mostlyly for quick weekend jaunts...

Click image for larger version Name:	eureka 9x9 dome 120.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.0 KB ID:	81818
                  I like it primarily because of the 6 foot interior height (but only in the exact center) and compactness for transport..
                  ...Its biggest disadvantage is that the rain fly does not adequately cover the sides during a heavy downpour (new tent buyers; be sure to get a tent with a good full coverage rain fly).
                  It has a closable vent in the lower part of the door and ceiling screens that are too big (I use flexible clear plastic to mostly block them (wallmart fabric dept).
                  Its rated for way too many people but can fit two adults, on cots, comfortably and possibly a dog or small child on the floor/pad/inflatable mattress.
                  A 10 x 11 foot tarp makes a good ground cloth for this tent.

My current favorite tent is an 10 x 10 foot (advertised; its closer to 9.5x9.5 foot) standing room tent. this tent needs a 10 x 10 canopy to hold it up.

Click image for larger version Name:	standing room tent.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.9 KB ID:	81819

This tent has exceptional interior space and even my tallest friends (6'3") can stand upright in it and wave their arms.
                  it comes with an open-able ceiling vent in the solid roof, along with cord and hose ports in a couple of corners and 4 doors with screens.
                  Note; some adjustment of the corner ties was necessary. I added extensions to let it fit my canopy better and to let the door zippers work easily.
                  with the canopy it has a double roof.

The setup is easiest with 2 people and a bit of a PITA for one person.
                  I use it with the same 10 x11 foot tarp /groundsheet as the dome so they really have almost the same footprint.

It, too, is most comfortable for one or 2 adults on cots.

For extend trips with several people I have a 12 x12 Alaknak tent (Cabelas).
                  This tent is extremely heavy and outfitter quality.
                  Click image for larger version Name:	alaknak.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.6 KB ID:	81820

I comes with a chimney hole and unzippable floor section to allow use of a wood stove.
                  The side walls are tall enough to let a person in a chair sit close to a wall.
                  We have housed 3 adults on cots in it.
                  The setup is a hassle with multiple poles and tie downs on each side.
                  It also has a center pole.

This tent rarely gets used anymore.

How many and what kind of tents/shelters do you folks use? ... always looking for new and different ideas.

Enjoy!
                  "best camping chair"

Comment

Working...
                  X