No announcement yet.

Camping Tools, Toys, Accessories, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping Tools, Toys, Accessories, etc.

Talking with friends last weekend I became aware that many things are changing about camping... and many things have stayed the same.
    Here are a few tools toys and accessories that I carry and can vouch for their usefulness for dispersed primitive camping (they can also serve for other types of camping).
    In my pocket, all the time, a Victornox tinker swiss army knife (SAK) is carried;
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Victornox tinker.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	81791
    some uses; opening cans (often gets borrowed because forgetting the can opener is common) and bottles of Corona, tightening screws, buttering rolls, cutting many things, pulling splinters (tweezers)... and may more.
    ...sharpens quickly and easily, with fair edge holding capability. Is the largest knife that I can comfortably carry. every day. all the time. in a pocket.

A folding bow saw;

Name:	Svensaw.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	81793
    This is a SvenSaw (Large)... started carrying one of these when backpacking in the 1970s, it has since migrated into a vehicle for camping/preparing fire wood. Works best for wood between 3 and 6 or 7 inches in diameter (branches too big to break) Other saws can also work some less well than others

For vehicle camping I carry (all the time, in each vehicle)
    A USGI tri-fold entrenching tool;

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	81790
    Originally It was used mostly for digging cat holes (sanitary reasons) now it is used, mostly, for cleaning out fire pits and occasionally for digging vehicles out of snow (any military entrenching tool will work but avoid the cheap made in china look-a-likes/knockoffs, they self destruct under very light usage.)

TP in a container (for rain protection)

Name:	2 liter TP mod.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	81792
    A wide mouth peanut jar can also work... Use is well known...

What are some of your favorite (essential or nonessential) Camping tools, toys and accessories?

Enjoy!

2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

TOYS...

Not sure if everyone is aware but the generation 3 cellular system is scheduled to be discontinued this year ... to avoid problems when my old phone becomes completely obsolete (and mostly non-functional) I recently purchased a cheap new one (gen 4).
    I have been adding music and Apps to increase its functionality and usefulness.
    Note; I am NOT a phone addict... but since I normally have it with me it might just as well serve some functions Camping.

Apps added , so far;
    Samsung music (so that I can play tunes both on the road and camping from this phone via bluetooth (to the JBL flip 4 speaker)... used for occasional music in the tent/camp.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	JBL flip 4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.2 KB ID:	81804
    ...also added 256 gig of memory to hold my extra data/books and music).

To reduce the hardware (toys) that I bring I downloaded the free FBreader app to let me read on the phone and loaded quite a number of books on/into memory, for rainy days in the tent. This is also good because my (quite old) e-book reader is showing signs of age related failure, the phone is not quite as good as the e-reader because there is , so far, little to no control over the text size, but then; I'm still learning to use it.

Apps for GPS and sound equalization/tone may be in the future.
    I am putting all this data in memory since I really prefer to camp where there is no cell or Wi-Fi service; and thus no access to cloud storage.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 02-18-2022, 02:50 PM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I'm of the old fashioned belief that if you put everything into one device, you will absolutely break it and be left with nothing...

So, I carry my kindle, zune (yep, I have Microsft's discontinued answer to the ipod and I much prefer it - them, as I have about 6 total), cell phone, and cameras. If my phone breaks, I can still read, listen to music and take photos, and so on. Of course I have the campers, so it's easier to carry the gear.

I do have two of these speaker/lanterns: https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Wat...1N0KAOQN&psc=1

I had two update my 3G blackberry because of the discontinuation... I tried the ATT free replacement offer and absolutely hated it. I got lucky and found a 4g blackberry!!!

My favorite camping "toys" would be the dogs. They make the whole experience more fun.

My essential would be the camper(s). No sleeping on the ground, toilet at the ready that only I use, very little setup required (park, level and light pilot lights for the clipper; that and raise the roof/sides and move a couple items for the FnR), and no need to store and carry heavy stuff.

Accessories - paper maps and road atlas. GPS cannot be trusted.
      ​​
      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Folding lawn chairs are nice around the camp fire.

A shower curtain liner is the perfect size for keeping firewood dry during a rain storm and can also serve as a ground cloth if you want to sleep like Nessmuk.

A n old briar or cob pipe (nothing you wouldn't mind losing in a river) and tobacco for relaxing by the fire or while fly fishing

A kerosene lantern filled with citronella oil for discouraging mosquitos in camp during the night,

In developed camp grounds----and this is important---a Sousaphone. This should be the first thing unpacked and set on your site's picnic table. It will discourage others from claiming neighboring camp sites. You don't have to learn how to play the Sousaphone, but wearing a t-shirt from band camp is a nice touch.

A corkscrew
        Last edited by John Joseph; 02-18-2022, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
          I'm of the old fashioned belief that if you put everything into one device, you will absolutely break it and be left with nothing...

So, I carry my kindle, zune (yep, I have Microsft's discontinued answer to the ipod and I much prefer it - them, as I have about 6 total), cell phone, and cameras. If my phone breaks, I can still read, listen to music and take photos, and so on. Of course I have the campers, so it's easier to carry the gear.

I do have two of these speaker/lanterns: https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Wat...1N0KAOQN&psc=1

I had two update my 3G blackberry because of the discontinuation... I tried the ATT free replacement offer and absolutely hated it. I got lucky and found a 4g blackberry!!!

My favorite camping "toys" would be the dogs. They make the whole experience more fun.

My essential would be the camper(s). No sleeping on the ground, toilet at the ready that only I use, very little setup required (park, level and light pilot lights for the clipper; that and raise the roof/sides and move a couple items for the FnR), and no need to store and carry heavy stuff.

Accessories - paper maps and road atlas. GPS cannot be trusted.
          ​​
          It is a given in some groups that "Two is one and one is none" meaning that anticipation of failure should be taken into account.

I, too, use an old Cellphone as a backup for Bluetooth tunes, If the speaker were to die , I can be quite happy listening to nature.
          taking pictures is not high on my list, so I can enjoy trips without a camera; although this new (Samsung) cellphone is supposed to have a pretty good one so I will likely take a few more (in stead of depending on the 20 year old digital Fuji.

Dogs are nearly always fun camping; and good alarm systems too!

I only remember sleeping on the ground once (a solar heated soft sand beach in Panama, it was supremely comfortable).

If I put a GPS app on the phone it will only be out of curiosity (to see if they have improved much); had one once and ended up giving it away as un-needed/un-used tech.

I still have a road atlas in the library's reference section. If going somewhere new I typically Google earth and print a copy with direction instructions.

Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by John Joseph View Post
            Folding lawn chairs are nice around the camp fire.

A shower curtain liner is the perfect size for keeping firewood dry during a rain storm and can also serve as a ground cloth if you want to sleep like Nessmuk.

A n old briar or cob pipe (nothing you wouldn't mind losing in a river) and tobacco for relaxing by the fire or while fly fishing

A kerosene lantern filled with citronella oil for discouraging mosquitos in camp during the night,

In developed camp grounds----and this is important---a Sousaphone. This should be the first thing unpacked and set on your site's picnic table. It will discourage others from claiming neighboring camp sites. You don't have to learn how to play the Sousaphone, but wearing a t-shirt from band camp is a nice touch.

A corkscrew
            I tend to use 2 kinds of chairs (a pair of these in the tent)
            Click image for larger version  Name:	collapsible moon chair .jpg Views:	0 Size:	40.2 KB ID:	81813
            Comfortable but they do not do well outside around the campfire (catch too many sparks , & rain and they have no cup holder.

I favor the standard wallymart camp chair for large (300lb) folks , they last better (I'm fat but not that fat).
            Click image for larger version  Name:	std camp chair.jpg Views:	0 Size:	40.7 KB ID:	81814
            I inspect these for wear every trip or two and replace them before they wear completely out (on sale end of the season each fall).

For me, a rubberized ex-military poncho or a free small tarp from Harbor freight (they give them away every few years) usually serves to cover firewood and as a backup rain protection for absent minded people.

One big advantage to Colorado, or the drier deserts (Utah and points south) is that there are normall, relatively, few tiny flying vampires (although one in the tent at night is more than plenty....
            Click image for larger version  Name:	chair and zapper 9 10 21 50 DSCF0340.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.1 KB ID:	81815
            Here is the , relatively small bug zapper that I use to clear the tent before retiring..

Enjoy!
            Last edited by Happy Joe; 02-19-2022, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
              I, too, use an old Cellphone as a backup for Bluetooth tunes, If the speaker were to die , I can be quite happy listening to nature.
              Music is more important for the driving portion of the trip. I often skip the tunes completely at the campsite. But I use the zune connected to the car stereo for the drives. And I carry a set of earclips just in case.

taking pictures is not high on my list, so I can enjoy trips without a camera; although this new (Samsung) cellphone is supposed to have a pretty good one so I will likely take a few more (in stead of depending on the 20 year old digital Fuji.
              Photos was the main reason I got into camping. I enjoy taking wildlife and nature shots and camping allows for more time, and getting to more interesting places, to take the photos than day trips. For several years, camping became a way to just relax and get away from thinking about work and problems. Now that I am retired, that need is gone, so I need to find new and interesting campsites for more photography opportunities.

I only remember sleeping on the ground once (a solar heated soft sand beach in Panama, it was supremely comfortable).
              Even sleeping on a cot is uncomfortable to me. And these days, sleeping bags are useless - I need regular bedding with lots of layers because my internal temp regulator is whacko.

If I put a GPS app on the phone it will only be out of curiosity (to see if they have improved much); had one once and ended up giving it away as un-needed/un-used tech.
              I have a stand alone gps. I use it a lot for urban settings. With camping, it is relegated to a secondary source until it has been confirmed accurate for any particular destination. I do like you and make print out directions before the trip.

I still have a road atlas in the library's reference section. If going somewhere new I typically Google earth and print a copy with direction instructions.
              I keep the paper maps and road atlas in the vehicle with me. After my Great GPS Adventure, when the gps got me completely lost with no cell service or ability to catch a satelite, I always have paper to refer to while on the road.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

How about tents???

Over the years I have tried many, I am now too antique to enjoy crawling on the ground to enter and exit so I prefer tents larger than a pup tent.

My smallest, easiest and quickest to set up is a 9x9 foot Eureka dome ; used mostlyly for quick weekend jaunts...

Click image for larger version  Name:	eureka 9x9 dome 120.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.0 KB ID:	81818
                I like it primarily because of the 6 foot interior height (but only in the exact center) and compactness for transport..
                ...Its biggest disadvantage is that the rain fly does not adequately cover the sides during a heavy downpour (new tent buyers; be sure to get a tent with a good full coverage rain fly).
                It has a closable vent in the lower part of the door and ceiling screens that are too big (I use flexible clear plastic to mostly block them (wallmart fabric dept).
                Its rated for way too many people but can fit two adults, on cots, comfortably and possibly a dog or small child on the floor/pad/inflatable mattress.
                A 10 x 11 foot tarp makes a good ground cloth for this tent.

My current favorite tent is an 10 x 10 foot (advertised; its closer to 9.5x9.5 foot) standing room tent. this tent needs a 10 x 10 canopy to hold it up.

Click image for larger version  Name:	standing room tent.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.9 KB ID:	81819

This tent has exceptional interior space and even my tallest friends (6'3") can stand upright in it and wave their arms.
                it comes with an open-able ceiling vent in the solid roof, along with cord and hose ports in a couple of corners and 4 doors with screens.
                Note; some adjustment of the corner ties was necessary. I added extensions to let it fit my canopy better and to let the door zippers work easily.
                with the canopy it has a double roof.

The setup is easiest with 2 people and a bit of a PITA for one person.
                I use it with the same 10 x11 foot tarp /groundsheet as the dome so they really have almost the same footprint.

It, too, is most comfortable for one or 2 adults on cots.

For extend trips with several people I have a 12 x12 Alaknak tent (Cabelas).
                This tent is extremely heavy and outfitter quality.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	alaknak.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.6 KB ID:	81820

I comes with a chimney hole and unzippable floor section to allow use of a wood stove.
                The side walls are tall enough to let a person in a chair sit close to a wall.
                We have housed 3 adults on cots in it.
                The setup is a hassle with multiple poles and tie downs on each side.
                It also has a center pole.

This tent rarely gets used anymore.

How many and what kind of tents/shelters do you folks use? ... always looking for new and different ideas.

Enjoy!
                Last edited by Happy Joe; 02-21-2022, 02:26 PM.

Comment

I have two shelters. One I use for strictly camping trips and the other I use for sightseeing/camping trips.

The camping trip shelter (#1) is rated to sleep 5-7, but realistically sleeps up to 2 plus the two dogs, two cats, and parrot, plus holds all my camping gear. About 5.5 - 5.75ft at the highest point. No problems with rain. Plenty of closeable windows for ventiliation that are built to be OK wide open in the rain. Size: 20.5x7

The sightseeing/camping trip shelter (#2) is rated to sleep 5, but realistically sleeps up to 2 plus the two dogs, two cats, and parrot, plus some of my camping gear. About 6ft at the highest point. No problems with rain. Plenty of closeable windows for ventilation, but cannot leave them wide open in the rain. Size: 12x7

#1:

Name:	swan dive2.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	81823

#2:

Name:	IMG_20181027_133825_hdr.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	81822

Comment

I really like your awning!
                    ...Working on one for my favorite tent.. But I expect it to be heavy due to the steel frame, already have a luggage hand truck to move it around.

Tables...
                    I see several in your Pic.... here are some of our most used ones;
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	small end table.jpg Views:	3 Size:	71.2 KB ID:	81825
                    I bring a pair of these small fabric topped folding tables and cover each with a (approx. 19 x 19 inch) piece of 1/4 inch plastic (helps keep thing upright by providing a solid surface). as you can see they are about the height of the cot and make excellent end tables.
                    I should probably cut off the "do not remove" tags...
                    They work in and outside of the tents... highly weather resistant.

The next size bigger table;

Click image for larger version  Name:	folding table 25 DSCF0352.jpg Views:	3 Size:	35.7 KB ID:	81826
                    is very light weight and light duty and has folding extendable legs the top is slightly smaller than 18 x 24 inches.
                    It can be used for propane stove cooking but is not high enough to use comfortably while I am standing up straight; making shaving, washing up and cooking into sit down operations... the pora-pot lives underneath it while its in the tent,.. all food related things are done at a distance from the tent to help keep bears at a distance.
                    the top is some kind of fiber board and would likely be damaged if exposed to water for very long.

A larger (roll up) table;

Name:	roll up table.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	81841

Has an added towel bar and works well for sit down meals or playing cards/games/etc. its about 30 x30 inches and breaks down into two pieces that store in a single bag.
                    For playing cards its best to use a table cloth since the cards like to slip through the slots.
                    this one doesn't get used much except in the largest (12x12 tent). I expect the awning may make it more desirable.
                    These slats are wood but I have seen them made out of aluminum.

Almost any table beats an upturned log or large rock as a place to set things, IMO.
                    Since I am always looking for better or more portable ideas what are everyone's favorites?

Enjoy!
                    (edit) not sure whats wrong but the roll up table pic doesn't seem to work in the thread , but works in edit mode (I'll reload it and see if that fixes the issue.
                    Last edited by Happy Joe; 02-22-2022, 07:45 AM.

Comment

We are now traveling in the van. I no longer call it camping. I miss tent camping but we now get more time actually being out. We can camp in any weather. Plenty of ventilation. Setting up camp is easy. As long as our heads will be up for sleeping anywhere we park is fine. Basically we put her in park and we’re good. I was against this type of camping for us, but we have so much more time to enjoy the area. After we visited areas prone to fires and floods we keep a 10 minute to evacuate rule.

Comment

The awning is rarely ever used. It is impossible to set up alone. So far, I only used it that one time. May set it up on my next trip as I will have a couple friends along and the campsite features are at the back of the pad.

For tables, I have several.

In the clipper, I have one of these:

Name:	910igWftnLL._AC_SY355_.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	81833
                        that is rarely used.

I had a table like the green one in the FnR photo that I used a lot, but it was stolen. I need to replace it.

In the FnR, I have the two pictured. The green one is great for holding the bird cage so she can get some sun. I'm eliminating the tv tray. Inside, I had a huge dinette table that cut into your gut while sitting and get into the way of cooking inside.

Name:	260b9f31ffac0b6cc5f46d628f4cdbf0.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	81838

So I sized a new wood table top. It is as long as the original but only deep enough for a laptop. I offset the pedestal so it doesn't cut into the seat.

Name:	IMG_20220221_151613.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	81835

I painted the top after an attempt at transferring a photo didn't quite work. It's an impressionist view of the forest (pulled from a photo of a Nova Scotian forest covered in fog).

Name:	IMG_20220221_151532_kindlephoto-72606396.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	81837

It works great. I just bought a tripod stand for the pedestal so I can set it up as a standalone table outside, so I can skip the TV tray.

Name:	IMG_20220221_150517.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	81836
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Denni2 View Post
                          We are now traveling in the van. I no longer call it camping. I miss tent camping but we now get more time actually being out. We can camp in any weather. Plenty of ventilation. Setting up camp is easy. As long as our heads will be up for sleeping anywhere we park is fine. Basically we put her in park and we’re good. I was against this type of camping for us, but we have so much more time to enjoy the area. After we visited areas prone to fires and floods we keep a 10 minute to evacuate rule.
                          I've always stood bythe following definition:

Camping - spending the night outside of a stick & brick building in the middle of wilderness. So it's still camping if you sleep in a van, but it's not if you sleep in a cabin. It's still camping if you are in a developed campground, but not if you are in the middle of a town.

I try to keep my camp as basic as possible. With the clipper, that consists of a few camp chairs and a table. With the FnR, it's a bit more because of the setup. It's a folding trailer, so I have to move the bird cage from the floor to the countertop, and then move the bird into the cage (she travels in a birdie backpack), and I have to move other stuff around inside to switch from travel to stationary. The clipper is no more that 5 minutes either way. The FnR is more like 15-20 minutes total.

Comment

As far as definition of camping; for me camping is traveling to a remote (hopefully woodsy, although desert works) location and living there for a bit. if its only during daylight hours then its a picnic if one stays overnight its camping...
                            For me its the getting away from cities/rat race/civilization and relaxing that's important to recharge my sanity/humanity.

As I get older and less able I am finding the concept of RV/van camping more and more appealing; hopefully I can stay healthy enough to use & enjoy tents for a few more years. I have used campers popups vans and and the back of pickups in the past but, for me, a tent lets me get closer to nature and the environment... immersed so to speak. Just getting to the wilderness is enough that i can feel the stress of civilization start to flow away.

Enjoy!

Edit;
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	picnic.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.6 KB ID:	81843
                            Picnic, luncheon

Name:	camping.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	81847
                            Camping

Enjoy!
                            Last edited by Happy Joe; 02-22-2022, 09:03 AM.

Comment

We used the heck out of a Montana Canvas Relite Spike tent when the kids were growing up---easy to pitch and the whole family fit inside with plenty of room.
                              For back packing and Scouts I had a Eureka dome tent that was comfortable---it lasted five seasons so I can't complain. My last tent was a Kelty Ridgeline 3 , my next one might be a Big Agnes

Comment

Working...
                              X