Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camping Batteries...

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
    Well, the main thin I use it for is the water pump. I can handle lanterns and such, but I don't like being without my toilet and sink.
    I hear you! ...one of the better things that I have done in recent years was the porta-potty in the tent.

...Thought, pretty hard, about running water for the tent, but it just doesn't seem to get me that much for the time/energy/thought involved (bought a stainless soft drink, Cornelius keg) with the intention of trying air pressurized water in the tent but it requires more space and complexity, all told, than the Scepter (2.5 and 5 gallon) military water containers need to pour water for morning coffee and washing up..

...Also tried a RV style pump faucet with a hose to the scepter can; it worked but pouring potable water out of the 2.5 gallon can is easier/less hassle than working the pump handle, IMO.

I have found with mantle style lanterns & gas lights that they almost always shine annoying glare in someone's eyes; where a 400 to 600 lumen 2700K (light temperature) LED bulb in a standard globe fixture does not, guess I might be extra sensitive to glare though.... stopped using the dim-able LED lantern because of the less than pleasant, early LED, bluish light color... I like a nice yellowish (incandescent light bulb style) LED light color (2400-2700K).

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 05-10-2021, 08:42 AM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

With my clipper, I get almost instantaneous hot water at the sink. That is so worth it. The bathroom sink has a leak in the cold handle, so I only turn it on using the hot handle. Middle of the night potty breaks are so much nicer - I wash my hands at the sink and by the end the water is hot. So no freezing fingers when I go back to bed.

With the trailer, the hot water takes longer so I don't see as much benefit between the faucet and my 2.5gallon aquatainer.

For lighting, I have led lanterns and pucklights, as well as fluorescent overhead lights in the clipper. I use them while I'm cooking and eating and finding things, but not much else. I have a kindle paperwhite, so never turn on lights to read. And I like being able to see out at night and the lights make me blind.

My new battery is charge and installed. Now I have to find the wire that is messed up. I think it's in one overhead light.
      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
        ...Thought, pretty hard, about running water for the tent
        I just bought a 12 volt solar circulation pump and wired it to a trolling motor foot switch. Bought a spare cap for my plastic 5 gallon jerry can and cut a hole in it just big enough that the pump self threaded into it. I haven't taken it out camping yet, but the in house trial looked good. Hooked up a handheld shower to it and it's got enough pressure to do the job. The pump's not self priming, so I have to have the can laying cap/pump side down over the edge of a table or chair but the height helps increase the water flow from the small pump. I'm also considering buying a 15 gallon black horizontal leg tank and just leaving it in the bed of the truck.

In case you're interested, this is the pump I got.

Comment

Yep... I considered an electric pump briefly, also, played with a squeeze bulb type foot pump...Its just easier, for me, to pour water from the 2.5 gallon (plastic) water can or one of the half gallon canteens into the washbasin, coffee pot or kettle (for heating wash/shaving water; one of the few disadvantages of a tent, IMO).
          I also checked out the propane instant hot water/shower heaters, but internet reports of reliability issues and a few fires turned me off... they may have improved since; it was several years ago.

Now that I have the LiFePo4 (lithium, iron, phosphate) battery & charger (NOCO Genius 10; worked as advertised), the next project will be a porch for the larger tent... potentially followed by some light weight solar panels on top (likely next year; the toy budget for this year is about shot).

Enjoy!
          Last edited by Happy Joe; 05-11-2021, 07:44 AM.
          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Memorial day (camping season) is getting close so I figured its time to at least put an inverter on the new tent battery...
            As with most of my non permanent projects; the modified Harbor Freight 80 watt inverter (plenty for my Edison base (Standard) Led bulbs) was installed with some 10 pound 2"x4" self stick Velcro patches from Wallymart (fabric dept).

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0324 new tent batt 50.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	71254

I have been looking at alternatives to my (hard to pack) ball shaped/globe style tent lighting fixture but have not yet found one that I like as well that has similar electricity usage, lumen output/light intensity, and color temperature.

Enjoy!
            Last edited by Happy Joe; 05-22-2021, 08:14 AM.

Comment

I have been looking at alternatives...
              I don't know your lumen/color requirements, but have you seen these flat bulbs from Philips?

Comment

Yep! I checked out an earlier model... Its not the actual bulb (2700K, 450 lumen Edison base) that is my packing quandary. Its the approximately 6 inch diameter (spherical) globe fixture...

Name:	globe fixture DSCF0175.jpg
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	71256

Bulbs pack relatively easily, this thing absorbs enormous space, even in a milk crate (very little wants to fit alongside of it); my best solution so far is to hang it from the vehicle roll bar for transport...

I did find these
                https://www.amazon.com/Cloudy-Bay-In...781347&sr=8-53

Name:	51Csqx-UwjL._AC_UL115_.jpg
Size:	1.0 KB
ID:	71257

and adapted one to a ceiling fan; however at 850 Lm, with a light dispersion between a spot and a flood...they are much too bright even in a good sized living room... it would be sunglasses in the tent time.
                Playing chess under neath it is almost uncomfortable... later I will introduce a translucent plastic layer to cut the output down somewhat (or install a dimmer).

Most lights of this format are either much too white (3000+K) or much too bright to be acceptable.

...guess I'll keep looking.

Enjoy!

Comment

I'm just going to toss this out there as an idea.

There is a spray paint meant specifically for glass. You can't paint the glass as little or as much as you want to get the effect you want.

I used the "amber" color on a couple wall sconces I had that were too bright and white for my tastes. Admittedly, I'm a lousy spray painter and was too heavy handed with the spraying, but it did improve the sconces in my opinion.

You might check them out and see if the colors could give give you a more preferred tint to the bulb. Just a single light spray might to the trick. Krylon "sea glass" and "stained glass" sprays.
                  “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

... just fried my little (8o watt) lighting inverter on the big (100 AH) camping battery...
                    ...chinese (lack of) quality strikes again...
                    found a replacement in a Harbor Freight store 35 miles away... might make a run down there this afternoon.

I'll likely pull the inverter apart to see what failed (guessing a capacitor).

Enjoy!

Comment

... the online inventory at the store was wrong... had a nice drive for zip.
                      .. had a look online for an equivalent..
                      found this for ~$20...

https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Invert...520336&sr=8-10

The only problem is that I will need to modify it and add a switch and some binding posts...
                      Ah, well its good therapy, I suppose.

Enjoy!

Comment

Name:	image_5830.gif
Views:	73
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	81280 ... Got fed up with trying to adapt the new inverter; so I ordered some electrolytic capacitors from Amazon;
                        Installed one to replace the bulged capacitor ...
                        ...It lives again...
                        ...Does that make it a zombie inverter?

Enjoy!

Comment

Name:	image_5830.gif
Views:	73
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	81280 ... Got fed up with trying to adapt the new inverter; so I ordered some electrolytic capacitors from Amazon;
                          Installed one to replace the bulged capacitor ...
                          ...It lives again...
                          ...Does that make it a zombie inverter?

Enjoy!
                          Is it deteriorating while it runs? If not, then it might be a vampire inverter.

Comment

Negligible deterioration or smell once the magic smoke escaped (after it died).
                            ...it has been resurrected, but it doesn't suck the juice (its pretty efficient really ~100 ma idle current).
                            It lies, apparently, dead most days (switched off).
                            It is most active at night, however (powers my lights).

I haven't heard it moan "brains" even once, it did hiss pretty loudly as it died though.

... still undecided; it just might be be a vampire inverter...

Votes/ what does everyone think?
                            ... zombie or vampire inverter...

Enjoy!
                            Last edited by Happy Joe; 07-10-2021, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Vampires hiss: zombies groan.

Comment

Maybe I should call it a Zompire inverter?

Edit; the repaired inverter is still working fine... have been testing it by running the table/reading light in the den/computer room ...

Enjoy!
                                Last edited by Happy Joe; 07-20-2021, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X