Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just got, or am going to get... post your new gear thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apart from cooking a camping stove can provide a limited amount of temporary heat... If you want to heat a tent (loosing proposition, IMO, I suggest getting a tent heater but they are, typically, bulky and consume large amounts of fuel.
    I don't subscribe to the panic purveyors... but large critters have upset coolers in camp several times; I don't keep food/munchies in the tent and cook well away from it.

I was surfing amazon yesterday and found a variation of the old coffee can heater that was available for those heavy Coleman single burners, years ago/back in the 20th century;
    Click image for larger version  Name:	camp stove mini heater 50.jpg Views:	0 Size:	28.2 KB ID:	81987
    I decided to take a chance on it, looks like it is probably junk, but it may fulfill an occasional need to, temporarily, take the edge off the cold in the tent by using the stove and cooking fuel.
    I figure for $11 it might be worth the gamble.... realizing that it is obviously a burn hazard and possibly a fire hazard...

...not going to hold my breath on this one...

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 04-18-2022, 10:57 AM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I have the Mr Heater Little Buddy in my trailer. I find it to be more than enough to take the chill off. For safety reasons, I place it in the steel sink so if it tips, it won't start a fire. For a tent, I would set it in a metal bucket.
      ​​
      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
        I have the Mr Heater Little Buddy in my trailer. I find it to be more than enough to take the chill off. For safety reasons, I place it in the steel sink so if it tips, it won't start a fire. For a tent, I would set it in a metal bucket.
        ​​
        I too have a Mr heater, buddy heater; I like its portability.
        I do not like its lack of a thermostat; which leads to excessive, IMO, fuel consumption.

When it is necessary to provide significant heat I use one of several "Blue flame' propane heaters with thermostats;
        Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0320 heater with feet x50 cropped.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	81993
        This one has a variable output depending on temperature & thermostat setting of approximately 8,000 to 10,000 BTU in 2 automatic stages
        Note; I do not normally attempt to heat the tent, the insulation value of tent material is pretty much nil. However there is a very occasional, temporary need sometimes if friends visit.(this need is currently filled by a can of gelled alcohol, fake fireplace fuel.

If the mini heater is as junky as I anticipate; I may make one of higher quality.

Enjoy!
        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Along with the now TWO 54 amp lithium batteries, I'm finding new ways to eliminate the bulk and weight in my truck and in my Pelican cases. Where before I was using 12 volts to light up the site and play music, I'm going rechargeable on everything I can. Music is now played on an Anker Soundcore, my light outside is a Nitecore LR60 lantern and, for in the tent, a Fenix CL20R lantern.

I'm amazed at the technology that went into all three of these products. The Soundcore puts out surprising sound for such a little box, the lanterns are amazingly bright for their sizes and their run times are longer than any lantern I've ever used in the past - especially the Nitecore. I'll still carry a generator on long trips to top off the deep cycles, but now on weekend trips, these three things can be recharged with a few power bricks.
          Last edited by MacGyver; 04-20-2022, 05:33 PM. Reason: Edited bad links

Comment

I have found anker to be a good brand. I've never been disappointed with the sound.

After a long think, I have decided to part with my clipper. I'm keeping my trailer. With my retirement, I have just found that I don't need to "go vegetate in the forest" to re-energize anymore. And that is what I used the clipper for. The trailer, I use to explore areas and that is what my camping will focus on from now on. It's a bittersweet goodbye.
            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Just received the mini heater; Its actually fully acceptable; much better than I expected.
              The stainless steel might be a tad on the thin side . It is a bit heavy for backpacking.

I used a file to open up the trivet slots to fit my current stove
              and I was not able to find any dangerously sharp edges on this example.

Name:	Stove and heater 35 DSCF0369.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	81998

I fired it up and it works; however it is obviously a BURN HAZARD; & possibly a fire hazard and should not be used around small children or the functionally unconscious, IMO.
              I would caution against using it with a Trangia or penny stove or similar alcohol stove as it will almost certainly heat the alcohol and likely result in a fire.

Obviously it is limited in heat output by the heat output of the stove.

I believe that I gambled and won, for a change...

Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                Along with the now TWO 54 amp lithium batteries, I'm finding new ways to eliminate the bulk and weight in my truck and in my Pelican cases. Where before I was using 12 volts to light up the site and play music, I'm going rechargeable on everything I can. Music is now played on an Anker Soundcore, my light outside is a Nitecore LR60 lantern and, for in the tent, a Fenix CL20R lantern.

I'm amazed at the technology that went into all three of these products. The Soundcore puts out surprising sound for such a little box, the lanterns are amazingly bright for their sizes and their run times are longer than any lantern I've ever used in the past - especially the Nitecore. I'll still carry a generator on long trips to top off the deep cycles, but now on weekend trips, these three things can be recharged with a few power bricks.
                I LIKE it!
                I too use a rechargeable speaker for tunes, but it usually gets recharged from a larger battery.

I'm still pretty much dedicated to a 120 volt hanging light (350 to 400 lumen; up through 1000 lumen - much too bright; if I change the bulb) on the tent ceiling (built a second for use on the upcoming tent porch)
                Click image for larger version  Name:	new tent light 50 DSCF0365.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.1 KB ID:	82002

... powered via an old 80 watt inverter from either a 50 AH (more portable) LiFePo4 batt. or a less handy (heavier) 100 AH LiFePo4, either of which can recharge the speaker and other toys via USB. ... the batteries serve double duty as power failure backups at home and tent power when camping.

Due to fire bans (if the bans get really intense all fire/flame, including stoves, may be banned) I'm going to use an induction hob
                Click image for larger version  Name:	duxtop induction hob 35.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.6 KB ID:	82003

for light cooking this summer (just ordered a couple of 1-0 cables to connect the 100 AH battery to a 1500 watt inverter)...
                If this does not provide enough power I will have to either go back to the propane genny or order a second 100 AH, 100 amp BMS battery, however I really don't want to add the weight/bulk of either the genny+fuel or the battery to the camping load.

Enjoy!
                Last edited by Happy Joe; 04-25-2022, 11:39 AM.

Comment

To fully use the induction hob I found that I needed more battery power so I got another 100 amp hour battery for a total of 2.4 kilowatt hours of battery power.
                  (more than enough to do breakfast, or a bag of microwave popcorn) as long as I fix something quick!
                  I'm not really all that big on cooking but I do need something to fill the hole in my middle occasionally and the fire bans put a big crimp in the availability of hot food.

Enjoy!

Comment

A pop-up canopy serves as my resting space. I also hung string lights to decorate.

Name:	camping canopy tent Quictent.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	82256

Comment

Working...
                    X